Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get a Reliable Hard Use 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    ETA: your hammer follow test sounds interesting. I’ve always heard that you never let a 1911 slide drop on an empty chamber from slide lock. Is that just for guns with trigger jobs then?
    We have to check/document our guns once a year if carried on duty.

I do it once a year unless I change internals.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Thanks for the knowledge everyone. Time to start diving a little deeper into some of the 1911 threads.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

It's a long video, about 3 1/2 hours, but there are gems of knowledge here and there on the 1911 especially from Joe Chambers.
    https://youtu.be/85aAkeTPK8A

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post

I’m a huge fan of 1911s WITHOUT front serrations, and have gone so far as to have them removed from two of mine, but on some I like them.
    Could you expound on this a little bit, if you don't mind? As in purely an aesthetic thing, or handling-wise?

My two 1911's (Ruger Nightwatchman Commander .45 and SA Champion 9mm) have slick front straps. I'm currently using Pearce finger grooves and slim grip panels...I've been contemplating the Talon front strap product in either rubber or PRO, but maybe I'm over thinking this.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Could you expound on this a little bit, if you don't mind? As in purely an aesthetic thing, or handling-wise?

My two 1911's (Ruger Nightwatchman Commander .45 and SA Champion 9mm) have slick front straps. I'm currently using Pearce finger grooves and slim grip panels...I've been contemplating the Talon front strap product in either rubber or PRO, but maybe I'm over thinking this.
    I think y’all are talking about two different things.

You are talking about the front strap of the grip - SoCalDep is talking about front / rear serrations on the slide.

Site Supporter
    Regarding front serrations, I have watched multiple people ranging from new shooters to those claiming to have an affiliation with "special forces" get their hand in front of the muzzle while racking the slide. I prefer to avoid anything that will encourage someone to put their hand near the muzzle.

I do, however, appreciate the top serrations on a Brownells Glock slide for use in one-hand slide manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I think y’all are talking about two different things.

You are talking about the front strap of the grip - SoCalDep is talking about front / rear serrations on the slide.
    Crap. Reading is fundamental. Thanks for catching that.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Crap. Reading is fundamental. Thanks for catching that.
    Well, for what it's worth regarding your question:

If you're deciding between the rubber texture and Pro for a shooters piece that doesn't need to look pretty, get the Pro....hands down, no questions asked. The rubber gets slippery with moisture; rain, sweat, blood, etc.

The last time I had looked at Talon Grips, they only had the granulated and rubber...the former being too aggressive for EDC, the latter being useless. A few months ago one of the guys in my office showed me the Pro on his gun, which I had missed the release of. It's fantastic, and now on all three of my carry guns (admittedly not my 1911s, where I don't mind the smooth front strap as fun guns for the range).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Regarding front serrations, I have watched multiple people ranging from new shooters to those claiming to have an affiliation with "special forces" get their hand in front of the muzzle while racking the slide. I prefer to avoid anything that will encourage someone to put their hand near the muzzle.

I do, however, appreciate the top serrations on a Brownells Glock slide for use in one-hand slide manipulation.
    I don't use front serrations. I won't turn down an otherwise nice piece if they're present. But, I have this strange aversion to grasping a pistol near the muzzle.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I don't use front serrations. I won't turn down an otherwise nice piece if they're present. But, I have this strange aversion to grasping a pistol near the muzzle.
    This.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List