Thread: CBP Purchases B&T Army APC9 via Army Sub Contract

Site Supporter

CBP Purchases B&T Army APC9 via Army Sub Contract

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/07/1...eapon-contract

CBP Purchases B&T Army APC9 from Army Sub Compact Weapon Contract

US Customs and Border Protection, part of the US Department of Homeland Security is purchasing 285 Brugger & Thomet APC9s by leveraging the US Army Sub Compact Weapon contract. The contract vehicle was modified earlier this year to allow other agencies to purchase from it and to supply Glock and SIG compatible magwells.
    The CBP APC9s will be fitted with Aimpoint optics and Glock compatible magwells. We understand the agency plans to replace their fleet of around 2000 H&K UMPs over time.
    @El Cid

@Tokarev

UMPs are already mostly gone. Largely replaced with an 11.5" AR with BCM MLOK forend. Sometimes referred to as the "AB-1." At least with USBP.

OFO SRT is the only outfit on the Customs side to use UMPs.

Air and Marine has a few also. Pilots like them due to their compact size. Even so, 40 S&W is on its way out with CBP. Something new was needed.

Last I heard we were looking at maybe getting on an SMG contract that ICE was working on so this B&T purchase is news to me.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    UMPs are already mostly gone. Largely replaced with an 11.5" AR with BCM MLOK forend. Sometimes referred to as the "AB-1." At least with USBP.

OFO SRT is the only outfit on the Customs side to use UMPs.

Air and Marine has a few also. Pilots like them due to their compact size. Even so, 40 S&W is on its way out with CBP. Something new was needed.

Last I heard we were looking at maybe getting on an SMG contract that ICE was working on so this B&T purchase is news to me.

ICE is doing the MPX, they are authorized but there has been a lot of back and forth about the configuration. Last I heard they wanted 4" barrel models with 8" handguards and a suppressor that is not user removable..

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://soldiersystems.net/2020/07/1...eapon-contract

CBP Purchases B&T Army APC9 from Army Sub Compact Weapon Contract

@El Cid

@Tokarev
    Very cool! They just want to be like me. Lol! Hope they go with FDE.

We stopped supporting the UMP's about a year or so ago IIRC. If they come in now we send them to destruct and a 11.5 AB-1 is sent out as a replacement. The AMO pilots have been the biggest hold out to switching over and this should give them the option they are looking for.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    We stopped supporting the UMP's about a year or so ago IIRC. If they come in now we send them to destruct and a 11.5 AB-1 is sent out as a replacement. The AMO pilots have been the biggest hold out to switching over and this should give them the option they are looking for.
    Not too many of us will miss the UMP. Aside from its Rubbermaid fit and finish it just wasn't practical for rural patrol applications. A light handy AR carbine makes more sense for most applications.

UMPs by and large had become somewhat of a range toy. Taken out of armories by the occasional agent wanting to hose on full-auto or for a dog and pony show, etc. There is always an exception and we did have a small handful of guys who maintained proficiency and carried the UMP but that certainly wasn't the majority.

@Tokarev @5pins

How many aviation units are in AMO that would be carrying the UMP? Is 285 weapons sound about right for what AMO would need to arm its pilots?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Tokarev @5pins

How many aviation units are in AMO that would be carrying the UMP? Is 285 weapons sound about right for what AMO would need to arm its pilots?
    I don't know the number but I would assume so.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Tokarev @5pins

If I had to guess, and that's all this is, is that these are for OFO SRT and BORTAC. Some might bleed over to AMO but probably not too many.

I think there are one or two UMP still banging around with (HK?) silencers (I remember it being gold) for the National tunnel team guys...at least I saw the silencer in a safe a year or so ago. Our boat guys in the RGV had them assigned to them for some reason (pretty sure because they were special), never made any sense to me. The one I shot was...kinda sucky.

User Tag List