Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg SSi?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg SSi?
    Disregard, looks like they've been OOP for ~20 years with parts mostly NLA.

Anybody handled/fondled/owned one of the Henry single shots?

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Actually I fondled one yesterday at Green Top in Richmond, VA. It was the 45-70 version with brass frame.

The grip was a bit chunky feeling, but the break-barrel action was so smooth, you would think there would be slop in the hinge, but it locked up tight like a bank vault. The hammer was light and smooth to pull back and it had an excellent trigger. I can't speak for accuracy, but it felt better than any Encore I've owned or fondled.

Chris

Thanks! I'd forgotten about them until I started going down the single shot rabbit hole (again) a couple of days ago.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    go2gbo.com has a lot of single shot discussion. What I read about the early Henry single shots was that they had unreasonably heavy triggers but could be cleaned up and lighter springs installed to make them decent.

They're drilled for scope rails; take the same rails as a Contender, if I remember my research correctly.

I've handled a Henry and they're OK. Maybe a little front heavy with the long, relatively heavy-profile barrels. Could chop it a little for the pistol calibers at least and it might get better. I wouldn't say the one I handled had a particularly smooth action. Don't really remember the trigger. They seem to be like CZs, in that there's a "wood lottery" in effect. Some of them end up looking quite nice.

I'd probably go with CVA for a hunting rifle due to cost, weight, stainless/synthetic and take-down options. (I actually have one in .300 BLK.) Or a Browning 1885 because they are so sexy, but don't seem to be as expensive as nice No. 1s, from what I've seen in my "five minutes" of watching.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-12-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have a Bronco .22 single shot, and a Bronco .410 single shot.
    Should take them out again. It's been a while.

Bought the Bronco .410 for $19 new at the local hardware years ago.
    It has been used a bit for hunting, but mostly for casual target practice.

The .22 cost a lot more used and has mostly just been used at the
    range. Several new shooters have used it.

Had a rolling block replica .357 pistol for a while. Couldn't warm up
    to it and sold it. One of the few guns I don't regret getting rid of.

If I didn’t already have a 10” threaded contender barrel for the SBR, a 77/357, and a Puma 92 all in .357, I’d be on this like white on rice. Looks like it’s my turn to enable someone else.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/p...lack+synthetic

Disregard, looks like they've been OOP for ~20 years with parts mostly NLA.

I have one on 45-70 (I posted a pic of it earlier in the thread) in the blued. Its a decent shooter. Nice wood on mine and my wife got me one with a customized serial number. The trigger was terribly heavy but a spring change fixed that. Overall, I like it alot. The brass one has a steel buttplate so that is why I went with the blued one. In 45-70 the steel buttplate didn't seem real appealing. Nice guns, especially considering the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
    I have one on 45-70 (I posted a pic of it earlier in the thread) in the blued.
    That's right, you did. And I even read the posts. And I STILL forgot they'd been discussed! This is what happens when I'm easily distracted...
    Name:  double facepalm.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  50.0 KB

Here's one I'd forgotten about and it certainly falls into the "shouldn't have sold the one I had" group: Winchester Model 55

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874122788

User Tag List