Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    BLK?
    Yeah, idk why but it just seems like the 300 would be fun in a tiny simple package.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    This one's in .450/400 Nitro Express and it's *definitely* just because
    Okay, I’ll admit it.

I’m jealous.

I have a 100% irrational want for a Ruger No 1 Mannichler-stock in .257 Roberts.

I am thinking a .300BO Contender or CVA Scout Pistol could be on my list for deer hunting in midwestern states where it’s basically just pistols and shotguns. A .300BO Contender with a pistol scope and some shooting sticks from a ground blind would net me plenty of meat. Of course...I could just use a 4” .357 Magnum, but where is the fun in that?

Site Supporter
    Yeah, idk why but it just seems like the 300 would be fun in a tiny simple package.
    No, I meant what is "BLK". I don't recognize the TLA.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    No, I meant what is "BLK". I don't recognize the TLA.

Chris
    300 BLacKout

I have a bunch of H&R/NEF singles. I'll post pics when I get home. I have a .223, .243, .30-30, .30-06, and .45-70 plus a bunch of 12 and 20ga shotguns.

On my wishlist:
    -Ruger #1, no particular caliber
    -Reproduction Trapdoor Springfield
    -Remington Rolling Block in 7mm Mauser
    -Martini Henry rechambered for .303
    -Maybe a Repro sharps or perhaps one of the other big 1800's singles like a high wall or something
    -Maybe one or two of the Henry singles. .357 mag or .223 with irons would be handy.

I had a Contender pistol for a bit but the barrels are so danged expensive it's not really worth it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Love single shots. Been contemplating getting an encore or a g2 and setting it up as my main hunting rifle just haven’t decided on a caliber yet. A number 1 is definitely on my list. I’d love to have a 1874 set up in a quigley configuration (maybe .45-70 instead of .45-110) well just because I love that movie.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

I've come very close to buying a Ruger #1 several times. Then I read you won't like it if you're after bolt rifle precision. There seems to be something about the fact that they can't match bolt rifle precision. Lots of people buy AR's and they aren't there either, but Ruger #1's are damn expensive. I suppose that doesn't matter if you like single shots. That might be right up your alley. I can see my way around that for a semi-auto carbine at half the price, but I just can't drop that kind of money for something that looks good but can't cook.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-30-2020 at 10:45 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Saw RR and OLJ mention starting a single-shot thread recently. Once I saw that, I was patient. I waited for 13, 14 minutes at least before doing the deed myself.

I know this particular rifle wasn't the type y'all had in mind, but I don't have a break-action gun. So you'll have to be alright with it. At least this will get the thread going.

I, for one, would like to hear more about the BLK in single-shot configuration.

Attachment 56633
    Jerk. Stole my thread's OP slot. Oh, well. The No. 1 is classier than what I have at this point, and my idea for a single-shot thread certainly includes those. I'll still get around to writing the post eventually. Maybe a little sooner now that we're up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I am thinking a .300BO Contender or CVA Scout Pistol could be on my list for deer hunting in midwestern states where it’s basically just pistols and shotguns. A .300BO Contender with a pistol scope and some shooting sticks from a ground blind would net me plenty of meat. Of course...I could just use a 4” .357 Magnum, but where is the fun in that?
    If you're serious about that, now is the time. The .300 BLK Scout pistols haven't been available for a couple years, but a bunch have hit at least one distributor in the past week or two. This is the best shipped price I've found. I'm waffling on whether I should, but the fact I haven't yet suggests I probably won't:

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/cv...ss-blk-w-mount

I picked up the rifle when the PDW thread was booming, for optimal quietness with .300 BLK.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/cv...compact-300aac

I really like it. It's short. The bull barrel makes it heavier than it looks like it should be (it's slightly heavier than a Tikka T3 Lite), but it balances well. Carry it one handed under the receiver. The takedown and reassembly is super quick and easy, roughly equivalent to field stripping a pistol, if not faster. It's short assembled, and the pieces will fit in a very ordinary back pack. Trigger is decent. It's finished about like a $400 gun. Eventually, I'll decide whether to break out the files to break the edges, or just keep on letting it be. I am all over the files, I just don't have a good stainless-only bead blast setup and am not sure I want to spend the money to get one.

Overall, an extremely handy, packable, versatile little gun. With .309 XTPs loaded subsonic through a can, it's the perfect gun for getting trash pandas out of your trash, and it will put venison in the freezer with TAC-TXs or Hornady subs, too. You can walk around with it in a backpack or gym bag and be invisible. What's not to love?

Comparing it to the RAR in .300 BLK, the only advantage is the takedown feature, which is different enough to not think of them as really directly competing. If that isn't something you see to be a benefit, the Ruger is probably a better choice.

I have posted in the Contender thread about my Super 16 .223 using a Choate M4 pistol-grip butt stock. Should be near a couple pounds lighter than the CVA. I would probably jump on a Super 16 barrel in .44 Magnum if one came along.

I picked up some Handis when they were on clearance several years back but eventually decided that with metal in my spine, .444 Marlin in a lightweight rifle may not be for me. Fortunately, clearance was good enough I didn't lose on that deal. It's all come back around, because the CVA will do everything I wanted to do with the Handis (and more) and I don't have to pay extra to get the barrel chopped and threaded.

And obligatory not-really-tactical-thread enabling:

For @RevolverRob: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871650624

For someone else who wants to be cool: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871650628
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-30-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Sign me up for one of the Mannlicher-stocked single shots, but I’ll take mine in .22 K-Hornet, please. I can never decide if I’d prefer a Browning or a Ruger. I’ve occasionally seen the European stalking rifles, and those always seem delightful- maybe in a 6mm.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    And obligatory not-really-tactical-thread enabling:

For @RevolverRob: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871650624
    That’s some tier-1 forum kung fu, right there.

User Tag List