Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Site Supporter
    Karl from inrange TV about the Maynard carbine and runs one on the clock. That would make a nice whitetail rifle for still hunting the southeastern woods.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Single shots? Yeah, I might have a thing for single shots...
    I sure hope that this isn't considered necro-quoting-posting, but how are those de Haas books? I am intrigued!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I sure hope that this isn't considered necro-quoting-posting, but how are those de Haas books? I am intrigued!
    For a single shot fan they're a nice to have but I'm not convinced they're a need to have. Lots of actions are covered with a history of and the calibers suitable for the action being discussed. The problem is, the newest book is around 30 years old IIRC and most of the actions are no longer as plentiful or affordable as they were at the time of the writing. More than a few of the calibers are either gone or were wildcats and there's none of the newer calibers like .204 Ruger, etc. If you're a handy machinist type, plans of his own actions are in one of the books.

I think the ASSRA Forum is a better source of information but if you're like me, a good book is always welcome on the shelves.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Anyone else still check from time to time to see if the SSK-50 is shipping yet?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Are the TC .45-70 rifle barrels set up as extractor or ejector? If they’re ejector can they be converted to extractor only like the Handi-Rifles?

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I just saw an ad for the most beautiful rifle in the world:

https://tombstonetactical.coreware.c...ed-pistol-grip
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Are the TC .45-70 rifle barrels set up as extractor or ejector? If they’re ejector can they be converted to extractor only like the Handi-Rifles?
    Kind of a necro answer, I don’t believe any of the TC Contender or Encore actions are ejectors. My .45/70 Encore isn’t and my friends Contender pistol wasn’t, unless you count the whole gun trying to eject out of your hand when you trip the trigger on a stout load.

All the TC Contender barrels I've ever seen have been extractor only. One thing to be aware of is that the extractors are not particularly strong, so if you have a fired case that sticks in the chamber you may have to use additional tools to remove it. I always carry a brass rod in my range bag when working with my Contenders for that reason.

This popped up in my podcast feed this morning: Zen And The Single-Shot Rifle GMP #166

At 38 minutes it's certainly not anything in depth but it was an enjoyable listen.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve tossed around picking up a Carl Gustaf rolling block for several years. Those old BP era cartridges have an appeal modern stuff does not. It’s like all those hyphenated lever action calibers...there’s just something romantic about them. Tossing a 450gr or 500gr slug out of one of those things would be just plain cool.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List