Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle AR groups at 25 yards?

Freestyle AR groups at 25 yards?

What kind of group should I expect at 25 yards off hand, unsupported with an AR?

Shooting about 1 shot per second?

2" would be good I think. About 10 years ago I put some effort into offhand at 100 with a 20" iron sighted AR and I think I got to 6-8" groups untimed on a gun that was it's best was a 2" 10 round group gun.

If you have an accurate gun 2" sounds doable at 1 second splits and optic. Although the recoil system may need tuned, I noticed that some ARs can have a really long recoil cycle. My 20" feels like forever and my 16" is much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    2" would be good I think. About 10 years ago I put some effort into offhand at 100 with a 20" iron sighted AR and I think I got to 6-8" groups untimed on a gun that was it's best was a 2" 10 round group gun.

If you have an accurate gun 2" sounds doable at 1 second splits and optic. Although the recoil system may need tuned, I noticed that some ARs can have a really long recoil cycle. My 20" feels like forever and my 16" is much quicker.
    After thinking about this further, with your tendencies towards fiddling with guns, funds, and focus, I wouldn't be suprised if you could get to 1".

I think that depends more on the shooter than the rifle. Given that most AR's are 2 MOA and 25 yds is 1/4 the distance of 100 yds. you can divide 2" by 4 and you get 0.50"

So anything above 1/2" is your ability to shoot your rifle off hand, unsupported.

I've never shot my mini-14 closer than 100 so no experience with that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What kind of group should I expect at 25 yards off hand, unsupported with an AR?

Shooting about 1 shot per second?
    I used to do this a lot to a b8. It's been awhile but I think I usually hovered from 2 to 4 inches most often. The gun (my bcm 16 inch mk2 upper) is a sub moa rifle so it isn't the gun. I bet with your dedication and skill level a inch to 2 inches will be the norm for you

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    After thinking about this further, with your tendencies towards fiddling with guns, funds, and focus, I wouldn't be suprised if you could get to 1".
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I used to do this a lot to a b8. It's been awhile but I think I usually hovered from 2 to 4 inches most often. The gun (my bcm 16 inch mk2 upper) is a sub moa rifle so it isn't the gun. I bet with your dedication and skill level a inch to 2 inches will be the norm for you
    Thanks gents, I went for that goal.

I’m off accuracy wise but the grouping is in line. I need to work on my press and timing to sight drift.

Name:  IMG_4764.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  33.5 KB

2” paster so half is 1”.

I can feel that I’m tugging on the gun so that’s likely the overdrive on the float back.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think that depends more on the shooter than the rifle. Given that most AR's are 2 MOA and 25 yds is 1/4 the distance of 100 yds. you can divide 2" by 4 and you get 0.50"

So anything above 1/2" is your ability to shoot your rifle off hand, unsupported.

I've never shot my mini-14 closer than 100 so no experience with that.
    The gun fiddling is more about recoil cycle and getting the gun to settle quickly, not accuracy.

@JCN whats your rifle set up?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    @JCN whats your rifle set up?
    I’m testing out a few different optic setups for 2 gun. I think most of our stuff is under 100 yards.

I’m playing with seeing if I can use a fixed 3x with my non-dominant eye up close and dominant eye at distance but it’ll take some practice.

Today I shot a Sig MCX 11.5” with an Omega 9k can shooting Fiocchi 45gr frangible. I do have a Hiperfire MCX trigger in it.

It’s wearing a Steiner T332 that was on sale for $400.

This is freestyle . . .

This is off-hand . . .

Are you striving for accuracy and precision, or do you just want to yank the trigger as fast as you can at man sized tawgets? If you’re working on accuracy and precision, 4 shot groups don’t mean squat.

If you can put 10 shots in a row in the black (which also happens to be the approximate size of the human eye socket) on the US Marine Corps 200 yard off-hand target reduced for 25 yards (aim small, miss small), shooting off-hand with a red dot sight on an AR-15, you’ll be shooting better than 87% of the people out there.

I’m only good for about 8 out of 10 shots in the black on a typical run.

…..
    Last edited by Molon; 11-05-2023 at 08:46 PM.
    Member of the General Population

User Tag List