Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

@HeavyDuty, any idea how he did the CCH at home? Restoration projects like that are what I dream of if/when retirement ever gets here.

@Rex G as much as I hate to admit it, 2 solid ARs and a couple of single shots would cover 95% of my rifle "needs". But that's crazy talk so I will remain in a certain Egyptian river.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@awp_101, it’s been a few decades since I’ve talked to him but IIRC it was only a cosmetic thing, not real CCH. It looked great, but I think he said the color would fade with handling and he figured he’d have to redo it every few years.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @awp_101, it’s been a few decades since I’ve talked to him but IIRC it was only a cosmetic thing, not real CCH. It looked great, but I think he said the color would fade with handling and he figured he’d have to redo it every few years.
    Thanks! Sounds like he used a chemical process which I've heard some manufacturers use to get the cosmetic effect of CCH.

I've seen either Turnbull or Tyler's mention real CCH naturally fades with time and use and using the wrong cleaners will affect the CCH negatively.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I'll be in my bunk...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'll be in my bunk...
    I know, right?

Name:  feel pain.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  49.7 KB

I wasn't aware of the 1877 until I was haunting the single shot area of GB a while back and ran across this auction. I followed it for a couple of cycles until I realized I would only be a player at half the starting bid and if it came with the time, talent, material and tools to finish it. Googling the gunsmith's name turned up an interesting article about the man (he was self taught, I'll try and find it again) plus the Venturino article.

EDIT 1: Ha! Looks like it sold Dec 2022 for about 75% of where the GB auction is starting: JOHN MADOLE SHARPS MODEL 1877 BARRELED ACTION

EDIT 2: Here's the John Madole article: Two Kentucky Gunmakers Part II: John H. Madole-20th Century Gunmaker
    Last edited by awp_101; 03-12-2023 at 01:15 PM.

A little late to the party, and sorry about the crappy cell phone pics but snagged a couple of Ruger No 1's last year.

And figured that if I was going to go with a slightly unusual gun I needed to go with some unusual calibers.

The scoped rifle is a 218 Bee. It is an absolute joy to shoot. Absolutely zero recoil in a rifle this heavy. The non-scoped gun is 257 Roberts.

Name:  20230318_191033.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  20230318_191151.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  37.4 KB

@ccmdfd you have excellent taste in calibers. One of my “lottery list” rifles is one of the special run 7x57 No1s made for the Dallas Arms Collectors and factory marked .275 Rigby.
    Last edited by awp_101; 03-18-2023 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @ccmdfd you have excellent taste in calibers. One of my “lottery list” rifles is one of the special run 7x57 No1s made for the Dallas Arms Collectors and factory marked .275 Rigby.
    Oh man! If you get one be sure to post pictures.

Thanks
    cc

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Oh man! If you get one be sure to post pictures.

Thanks
    cc
    Have no fear, if I ever get one it will be all over the place!

Of course I suppose I should take the first step at some point and actually buy a ticket...

User Tag List