Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Site Supporter

Cool If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Saw RR and OLJ mention starting a single-shot thread recently. Once I saw that, I was patient. I waited for 13, 14 minutes at least before doing the deed myself.

I know this particular rifle wasn't the type y'all had in mind, but I don't have a break-action gun. So you'll have to be alright with it. At least this will get the thread going.

I, for one, would like to hear more about the BLK in single-shot configuration.

Name:  Ruger_1 Pose.jpg
Views: 2545
Size:  90.8 KB

A Ruger #1 in 6.5 Swede with the full Mannlicher stock is on my just because list.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A Ruger #1 in 6.5 Swede with the full Mannlicher stock is on my just because list.
    A Ruger #1 in .243 is on my just because list.

Site Supporter
    This one's in .450/400 Nitro Express and it's *definitely* just because

A Sharps percussion conversion Business Rifle in 50-70 is on my wish list, as is a quality built Gemmer trapdoor sporter. For those not familiar, Gemmer worked at (and I believe later bought) the Hawken rifle shop in St Louis, he built Hawken styled cartridge rifles in various actions of the day, including Spencers, Remington Rolling Blocks, Sharps, and Trapdoor Springfield actions. An 1866 or 68 trapdoor action in 50-70 built as a Gemmer would be pretty spiffy.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

A Miroku Browning 1885 Low Wall in .243 topped with a Leupold 3-9X Compact has been my deer rifle for more than a decade and a half. My wife gave it to me for Christmas in 2004. Still working on the first box of ammo that came with the rifle. Sighted it in with three shots. One shot, one deer. Missed a few years of hunting here and there, but the rifle is more than sufficient for Alabama deer.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    A Miroku Browning 1885 Low Wall in .243 topped with a Leupold 3-9X Compact has been my deer rifle for more than a decade and a half. My wife gave it to me for Christmas in 2004. Still working on the first box of ammo that came with the rifle. Sighted it in with three shots. One shot, one deer. Missed a few years of hunting here and there, but the rifle is more than sufficient for Alabama deer.
    Ive coveted that rifle (high wall) in 6mm or 25-06 as a gimp capable long range fun rifle.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    BLK?

I've owned an Encore for several years. Most of that time it has sported either an MGM 17" 35Whelen barrel or a 20" 50cal muzzleloader barrel. I recently sold the 35Whelen barrel and replace it with a 26" 35Whelen barrel from E Arthur Brown. The 17" barrel was just too barky and hard to get bullets up to reasonable velocities. I managed to sell the shorty barrel on eBay for about what I paid for it.

The 26" version seems to be about as accurate and is much more pleasant to shoot. Now I'll really be able to take advantage of the 300gr mould I bought last year.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That is a beautiful rifle.

Only ever owned one single shot rifle though I've coveted a variety of Rugers, Sharpes, and Springfields. Mine though was an NEF Handi Rifle in .45-70. Pic of a similar rifle from the web:

Name:  5889716_02_handi_rifle_45_70_640.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  52.5 KB

The NEF is a regret. Dirt cheap at the time, mine was brand new for about $150. Absolutely lived up to the Handi in the name though the trade off was harsh recoil. Kind of similar to a full house, lightweight 12 guage but sharper and briefer. Kind of more punch than shove I guess. It could consistently make 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards which ain't bad for an open sighted, low price, break action. Traded for something cooler before I truly learned that function trumps form.

User Tag List