Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: If you want to talk about repeaters, don't come in here

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Some very nice pieces you have there.
    Thanks, although I fear it is the start of a new addiction. Funny after years of carrying with full autos, assualt rifles and such coutesy of Uncle Sam, there is just something satisfying about good old fashioned wood and blue steel. Having only one shot also amkes you pick your target more carefully.

Geez, I shouldn't respond from my phone...that last post looks like I was drunk...

Finally got around to digging out the singles. There was a .22 Hornet at the LGS recently but I wasn't sure if I had any use for it so I let it go.

In this first pic (top-to-bottom) .223, .243, and .30-06. The .243 needs better glass and rings and the '06 will get the paint stripped off as well as a better scope. The stock is laminated wood and in my mind a .30-06 rifle should have a nice wood stock and blued finish. The .223 has a lighter barrel than the other two and as it sits now weighs 6.25 lbs. The other two are closer to 9lbs. I might splurge for a Boyd's furniture set for the .243 since it's a pig anyway.
    Name:  singles 2.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  68.4 KB

In this one: .30-30, .45-70, 12ga and I added the survivor fore ends for easy the easy takedown functionality. 14 years ago a gun store in my home town closed down and had a big auction to liquidate the inventory. They had several of these single shots, mostly in .223 and .243 and those were popular. When they got to the .45-70 they assumed it would be as popular so I think it started at or close to $200, same as where the other had started. But nobody wanted it. They dropped the price a few times and when they got down to $125 I could tell they were going to give up and move on so I figured why not? I raised my hand and got it for $125 plus whatever fees for the auction company, I don't think it was even $150 out the door. But that was back when they were still in production. And that began my love affair with the H&R/NEF singles and singles in general. The .243 was found in a pawn shop shortly after. The .30-30 I found right after H&R shut down for $175 which I knew was a good price so I grabbed it. The 12ga was a project. You still see the shotguns all the time for $125 at most and as little as $60-75 for not-terrible examples. I'm at the point that I have to tell myself to stop buying them unless it's some variant other than a bog-standard Topper. Anyway it was some random Topper I picked up cheap and had a smith lop the barrel down to 18.25" and reinstall the bead. It weighs 4.25 lbs and is brutal with full power slugs and the cylinder bore is close to useless with birdshot so I need to get it threaded for chokes. I have a 20ga with an old lightweight barrel that I want to do the same thing with. It will probably be somewhere around 3.5lbs I'm guessing. I tried the survivor stock on it but the opening for the grip area was too small for my hands and I didn't like it.
    Name:  Singles 1.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  66.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I have an Encore with a Bergara 24" .308 barrel, and a muzzle loader barrel that I picked up just because it was cheap. My Contender has a TC Custom shop barrel in .357 Herrett and a .17HMR.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

#3 .22 Hornet. It’s about as fun as long guns get. Great on turkeys, coyotes and crows.

If I could skip a mortgage payment, I wouldn’t mind having a mate in .30-40. Dunno why I’ve always been fascinated by that round.

#3 .45-70? No thank you!

@Ptero, we can hang out. Anyone who puts an illuminated LPV on a No 1 is my kind of gun hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    #3 .22 Hornet. It’s about as fun as long guns get. Great on turkeys, coyotes and crows.

If I could skip a mortgage payment, I wouldn’t mind having a mate in .30-40. Dunno why I’ve always been fascinated by that round.

#3 .45-70? No thank you!
    My grandpa had one in Hornet that he restocked to look like a No. 1, including the lever. I’d sure like to have it but he sold it somewhere before he passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @Ptero, we can hang out. Anyone who puts an illuminated LPV on a No 1 is my kind of gun hipster.
    LoL! Did we just become friends? Cool.

The truth is I'm getting too blind to use irons anymore and in 45-70 it didn't make sense to go too high in magnification. The illumination helps in the woods where I hunt so it all kind of fell together.

Single shots? Yeah, I might have a thing for single shots...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A .357 single shot would be awesome, but I think it has to be a Rolling Block
    Unless it's a Martini Cadet.

I've got a project level .357 Cadet. It works but it's ug-lee. The left side of the receiver has 4 holes drilled in the left side for a scope mount, another 4 on top of the barrel for more mounts even though the irons are still in place and what I think is 12/15 furniture with the lever bent to match. Someday I'll find a 'smith to correct the cosmetics that doesn't want bespoke pricing for a beater grade rifle and can get it back to me before my 7 y/o grandson graduates college.

I sort of wish I'd buckled down earlier in my shooting/accumulating journey and focused more on single shot rifles and quality revolvers. The challenge now is to convince myself I have enough service type rifles and pistols and start focusing on the firearms that bring me shooting joy.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I have an NEF in 45-70 used a walking around rifle loaded with reduced powered cast bullets. Soon I will buy a CVA in 44 Mag and use it also with reduced loads for plinking. I have a like new NEF 20 ga which I intend to have converted to a .45ACP by having the barrel cut off and a 45 barrel inserted into the stub. Besides being fun, it will be very accurate.

User Tag List