Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok folks, help me chose a new small camp axe/large hatchet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    However... If I was looking for a one-and-done tool, I would buy this. It is indeed heirloom quality, but it's all about utility. Capable of all chores from carving to felling within reason.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/pro...ll-forest-axe/

This is based on research, but not first-hand experience. Seems to be a tool of choice for many wildland firefighters and bushcrafters.
    I had an Small Forest Axe, and I found it to be a very awkward length. Too long for easy one hand tasks and too short to properly use two handed. I much prefer either a hatchet with a 16-18" handle or going to a Boy's/Multipurpose/Scandinavian Forest Axe with a 25-30" handle.

This is a killer thread.

I’m happy to report that @Cookie Monster, who works in the forests, has hooked me up beyond all belief. Thanks to his incredible generosity, I’m GTG with enough Ochsenkopf traditional German enginerring to split a lifetime of wood.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have been using a wetterlings large hunter for many years; I tuned it a bit when I first got it but it is perfect for that kind of work.

Although depending on the type of wood, it can be useful to have a small splitting maul. They're generally cheap and ugly but if you have really knotty wood to deal with, they're a much faster way to split stuff. I think my little maul has a 4lb head on a short hatchet handle (yes, bit/hung/helve... nobody talks like that) and for smashing up arbutus it's very useful.

But for easy-splitting softwoods, I like about a 19" handle and a pound or little more head with a bit of belly in the leading edge.

We used to use a Hudson's Bay double-bit with a 24" handle for this when I was young...it was handy to have a splitting edge and a cutting edge just a flick of the wrist away. But they'd be expensive nowadays, I bet.

Actually, for an all-around handy axe, a Hudson's Bay standard is about perfect. They're almost a 3/4 scale axe with a bit more length to the handle. Definitely a two-hander, though. Although sometimes that's a good thing: my grandfather developed the habit of cutting off his left thumb once every decade or so with a very sharp hatchet.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This is a killer thread.

I’m happy to report that @Cookie Monster, who works in the forests, has hooked me up beyond all belief. Thanks to his incredible generosity, I’m GTG with enough Ochsenkopf traditional German enginerring to split a lifetime of wood.

Gonna need an in depth review of the Ox Head!! Oh, and pics, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I had an Small Forest Axe, and I found it to be a very awkward length. Too long for easy one hand tasks and too short to properly use two handed. I much prefer either a hatchet with a 16-18" handle or going to a Boy's/Multipurpose/Scandinavian Forest Axe with a 25-30" handle.

Good input, thanks!

@Maple Syrup Actual
    I thought of you while dealing with this knot the other evening, due to a past comment about everyday ECQC Joes acting as little knots in society's soft wood. Or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-06-2020 at 11:38 AM.

I bought a Hults Bruk Salen several years ago and I love it. We heat with wood primarily so I use it for kindling. I also use it for smaller trees on the property where I don't want to bust out the chainsaw.

The head is 4oz lighter than the Aneby but it's $50 cheaper. It also doesn't have the rounded skinning poll of the Aneyby, but I've never used a axe or hatchet to skin game and don't plan to any time soon.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Gonna need an in depth review of the Ox Head!! Oh, and pics, damn it!
    Here’s one pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is a killer thread.

Oh that's nice stuff. Love the oxhead felling axes.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

@Maple Syrup Actual
    I thought of you while dealing with this knot the other evening, due to a past comment about everyday ECQC Joes acting as little knots in society's soft wood. Or something.
    Oh, I forgot about that metaphor - I will have to recycle that. I am back to working on fiction, actually, and in need of all the imagery I can get.

User Tag List