Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ok folks, help me chose a new small camp axe/large hatchet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any particular model?

This one looks reasonably priced and pretty handy
    https://counciltool.com/shop/axes/sp...tility-finish/

Love the look of this one, looks potentially even handier, albeit not so reasonably priced…
    https://counciltool.com/shop/axes/pr...d-handle-mask/
    For a hatchet, I like their Flying Fox. It's on a slightly longer handle and has a slightly heavier head than a lot of their other hatchets. It also has a hardened poll like the Camp Carver you linked to, but at a much lower price.

For splitting with a small axe, their newer 2lb hudson bay head is a full wedge shape (the cheeks aren't concave behind the edge), which is a good shape for splitting. I think they have that same head on 18 inch and 24 inch handles.

Ive always had a respect for AG Russels products. There is quite a selection of hatchets there including some Bruks.
    Ive always thought this Marbles design was interesting.

https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russ...y-Axe--AG-AXT1

Name:  09EB06C0-A77D-4F69-9A8A-968752A3A67D.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  22.3 KB
    Name:  C3DC80B5-166C-4359-A4C0-B4B6C3C9EC35.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  19.5 KB
    Name:  BD05B990-248D-4CA7-B9CE-E115E45FD03E.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  15.3 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Bought one of these for the camper the other day: Fiskars X7 14" camp axe.

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/garden...14-378501-1005

I had a similar Fiskars hand axe ages and ages ago, and liked it a lot. This one had a nice heft to it and was on sale for Father's day, so price was not bad. I'm not crazy about the sheath (plastic) so will probably try and source a simple leather one. For what I use it for (not much), it should work fine. I do kinda feel like I bought a Glock 19 in a sea of expensive Swiss or German handguns, showing up in this thread with a plastic handle axe, though.
    Fwiw, you’ll see upthread that I suggested one of these too, after having bought one or two of my own (I think I have both a short handle like you and I link to, and a longer handle one)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If your intended use was something to stick in the truck or camp box until needed, and that need was rare, I'd go with the Fiskars 14" X7.
    It wasn’t until I posted a link to a different Fiskers that I recalled the soft steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It does look cool, but Fiskars steel is very soft (although this one could be different), so it tends to roll easily compared to most other Scandinavian axe heads, vintage American heads, or Council Tool. Council is by far the best value/quality in new production axes and hatchets.
    After Josh posted this, I felt a little bad about suggesting them, but also a little vindicated in the damage I’d caused to the one we had in the campervan. I don’t recall the circumstances, but I know that the blade on the shorter one we have is chewed to shit. I just thought we’d done something wrong (which, to be fair, we probably did) and felt like an ass for “ruining” it. Now knowing that they are a softer steel I don’t feel quite as bad. But also won’t go around recommending them either since whatever we did can’t be too terrible, and if there’s options with harder steel that would have better survived the same abuse, then those seem like better choices.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    For a hatchet, I like their Flying Fox. It's on a slightly longer handle and has a slightly heavier head than a lot of their other hatchets. It also has a hardened poll like the Camp Carver you linked to, but at a much lower price.
    https://counciltool.com/shop/axes/sp...dsman-hatchet/

Looking around on YouTube, it appears that a lot of folks buy that one for throwing. “Flying” and all that…

I like the look of that, and I like that it has a hardened poll since for a camper hatchet it spends at least as much time being a hammer as a hatchet.

I’d really like one of the 22in straight handle versions for the same reasons (curved handles suck when using as a hammer, I’ve found). Sadly everywhere I look it’s “out of stock”.
    https://wisementrading.com/wood-work...g-fox-22-inch/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I went Estwing for a Tool of the Month a few months back. Made in the USA and its rep in the hammer world drove the decision as well as being able to pick it up locally. FWIW

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Estwing-E44...dle/1000382003
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I went Estwing for a Tool of the Month a few months back. Made in the USA and its rep in the hammer world drove the decision as well as being able to pick it up locally. FWIW

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Estwing-E44...dle/1000382003
    I have one of their hammers also. I think I've had it and used it for 30 years. I've had a few hammers and the ones that impress me the most are Estwing and Plumb. Not sure if they even make a camp axe though.

I'm splitting kindling with a no name hatchet with a wood handle. I think I've replaced the handle at least once and it needs a new handle again. I'm not real crazy about wood handles in a tool that gets a lot of use. This humid climate trashes those pretty fast.

Might watch the sales and buy an Estwing instead of replacing the handle in my no name hatchet.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I think the Husqvarna Carpenter’s Axe (19” handle) is just what you are looking for. Scandinavian heirloom quality at half the price (or less) of the GB small forest axe. They make a nice hatchet, too.

Pro tip - see if a local Husqvarna chainsaw dealer has any Husky axes and hatchets. He probably hasn’t marked them up like a lot of online resellers have.

Cold Steel Trail Boss is my favorite axe under $50.

Or you can buy an old USA made axe head and hang it yourself on new hickory.

This is a Husqvarna Carpenters axe.

It is the size of a cruisers axe. I use it frequently when out and about. If you want something that is beyond the utility level of a Fiskars, these Scandinavian Husky axes are extremely well made and can be sharpened up in no time to literally shave the hair off your arm. Truly an exceptional, handy little axe, that is slightly larger than a standard hatchet, but still small enough it fits in a pack or strapped on the back.

Now that we are page 5, let’s shift this thread to the important part, first aid kits. Aren’t axes and hatchets responsible for a high percentage of wounds in the great outdoors? I say get a saw!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Now that we are page 5, let’s shift this thread to the important part, first aid kits. Aren’t axes and hatchets responsible for a high percentage of wounds in the great outdoors? I say get a saw!
    Philistine!
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

User Tag List