Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ Shadow 2 - here we go....

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Have you seen my freakishly long thumb in the pic above? I won’t have any problems hitting the slide release. LOL!
    I guess that's true, lol
    Another problem that you might get into with such a high grip is pressing the mag release button with your support hand. That was a problem for me switching to 2011 mostly but it is also applicable for CZ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I guess that's true, lol
    Another problem that you might get into with such a high grip is pressing the mag release button with your support hand. That was a problem for me switching to 2011 mostly but it is also applicable for CZ as well.
    Here’s a pic of my thumb after dry fire tonight. So, yeah, it’s going to be an issue.

Name:  44CC28CF-EFE2-4C08-89D4-D20E237E70BA.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  25.2 KB

Also, pics of my grip and my strong hand thumb. No problems reaching anything! And no issues hitting the mag release.
    Name:  CBE00937-0FD0-4A5E-A2D5-44713B1E911D.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  1593AD1E-94DF-4D8B-B706-AB3F8BC17117.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  47.2 KB

This is why I always cringe when we see threads about how to grip a pistol properly. Grip is such a personal thing that has so much to do with the physical make up of your hands and your grip strength. What works for one person may not work for another. The commonality between individuals should only be: adequate support hand grip and strong hand tension (or more precisely, lack thereof). Everything else is largely individual. This all needs to be worked out methodically in practice to get it right. And, it should be said that it has to be consistently worked on and refined based on continued feedback at the range.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-01-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Well said. Agree 100%

I put 300 rounds through the Shadow 2 today.

I had two malfunctions, both failures to feed.
    Name:  4552BE33-B025-4DDF-8D26-1F0D6887D815.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  58.0 KB

I traced it to a bad mag. It’s CZ branded and new. I popped it apart and it was filled with a weird brown oil and was gritty as hell. I cleaned it out and it worked fine afterwards. I’m missing Glock mags already.
    Name:  E4DE28E9-C492-4E78-8B6E-7DE29AF90FCB.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  36.2 KB

The gun’s POI was about 6 inches high for a drive the dot hold at 25 yards. I cranked the sight all the way down and was able to shoot a 93-1X the second mag out of the gun.
    Name:  BC3D5629-3BB7-40EE-BC3B-2ADD92768B0D.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  79.2 KB

Draws were slow, in the 1.25 range at 7 yards. My best Bill drill was 2.05 with a close C, so lots of work to do there, especially on index. But I’m sure it will come with dry fire.

The gun shoots fairly flat. Recoil impulse is interesting and with the 10lb recoil spring I find the gun returns really nicely and does not nose dive.

Doubles target at 5 yards, .17-.20 Splits. If I’m not paying attention shots tend to go high, but rarely did they go low. EDIT: There is about 60 rounds on that target.
    Name:  BC466F7B-0BEF-4155-ADBC-49841F47C62E.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  91.0 KB

I was able to get a fairly solid grip on the gun. I couldn’t split it as hard as the Glock, but I think that is more of a timing thing that will come with more rounds in doubles.

So far so good. More to come.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I put a piece of skate board tape on the left side of the frame, in front of the slide stop, for my thumb to rest on/press down on. Sorta like a gas pedal on an open gun. What I discovered is that a bit of down pressure on the tape causes the knuckle of my left hand to arch away from the frame under grip, and my left thumb knuckle does not hit the slide stop and abrade my knuckle like yours. Helps me point my left (support) thumb at the target, lock my left wrist, and get a better grip. YMMV.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Two of my Shadow 2 pistols had malfunctions as they came from the factory, and required a trip back to CZ USA. Same with one of my three Optics Ready Shadow 2 slides. I was told by Cajun, who fixed the OR slide, that there was a run of bad extractors at CZ. If problems continue, you may need to change the extractor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Two of my Shadow 2 pistols had malfunctions as they came from the factory, and required a trip back to CZ USA. Same with one of my three Optics Ready Shadow 2 slides. I was told by Cajun, who fixed the OR slide, that there was a run of bad extractors at CZ. If problems continue, you may need to change the extractor.
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m pretty confident that it is the mag, but I will watch it closely.
    --

I used the CZ 85 slide stop on the Shadow 1 as I had issues like you with the original.

The MecGar 17 rd. anti-friction were 100% for me. Only downside to them was it is common for rounds to become dislodged when the mags were dropped with rounds still in them. I don't think I ever used a CZ branded mag in either of my Shadows. Nobody ever had anything good to say about CZ branded mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    I used the CZ 85 slide stop on the Shadow 1 as I had issues like you with the original.

The MecGar 17 rd. anti-friction were 100% for me. Only downside to them was it is common for rounds to become dislodged when the mags were dropped with rounds still in them. I don't think I ever used a CZ branded mag in either of my Shadows. Nobody ever had anything good to say about CZ branded mags.
    I own and regularly use fourteen (14) of the CZ branded 18-round magazines. They have been used hard since 2016 in IDPA and steel competition and rotated among two CZ75 SP-01 Shadow pistols and one CZ75 SP-01 non-Shadow pistol.

When I acquired them, I purchased and installed new +10 springs in each of them from Greg Cote. I've never experienced any issues with any of them. None.

User Tag List