Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the S&W 627 PC for?

What is the S&W 627 PC for?

At my local range/gun store they have a pretty minty S&W 627 PC in .357 magnum. It is an N frame with a 8 shot cylinder cut for moon clips. It has a 2.6" barrel. Its grip is for a two finger hold. It weighs 38 oz. They want $790 for it. It don't get its role or purpose. The barrels seems a little too short for 357 or competition. It is way too wide with that fat cylinder and big with the frame to easily conceal. A boot grip is strange for such a big gun. How the heck do you carry 8 round moon clips on your person anyways. I have a model 28 and I get that. I'm not a regular wheelie guy to understand all the nuances. I don't understand it but I have to admit that I want it for some reason.

Site Supporter
    I have to admit that I want it for some reason.
    While it sounds like my conflicted feelings towards AOC ... this ^^^ is the purpose. Gun companies exist to make money, guns are incidental to that goal.

With that out of the way, it is a niche item for those who prefer revolvers or are in capacity restricted places and want more than 6 or 7 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    While it sounds like my conflicted feelings towards AOC ... this ^^^ is the purpose. Gun companies exist to make money, guns are incidental to that goal.

With that out of the way, it is a niche item for those who prefer revolvers or are in capacity restricted places and want more than 6 or 7 shots.
    Thanks, I am glad I didn't miss anything obvious. Like AOC, I'll pass but unlike AOC, I did fondle it without any repercussions.

Site Supporter
    I think I’d be super tempted.

Unlike AOC.

I carried a 4" redhawk for a year in a kramer owb. Not that bad to conceal and even heavier than n frames. I could very much jump on board to carry a snubby like that. Thats a great price. I think I would swap out the grips.

Im not sure i could do that iwb though.

A gun like that would also make a great gun for fishing.

Clint Smith's revolver DVD barely skims the surface on a lot of points but colprehensively explains his use of boot grips. The point is not jus concealability but to allow the pinkie an ergonomic place to curl in rather than be stretched out. My hands don't need that but I'd still appreciate the extra concealability.

As for moon clips, they help avoid stragglers needing individual plucking when ejecting with the short rod. It could be sensible to clip the onboard ammo and carry a reload in another fashion.

My real complaint about the design is the lack of fluting for me to index the cylinder on reloads and lock my pointer finger into to prevent it freewheeling.

Other than adding some fluting, it would weigh much less than a Highway Patrolman for the extra material hogged out of the cylinder, shorter slabsided barrel, slotted shroud, and slim stocks. I can personally AIWB a 4" Highway Patrolman so one of these would be great. Eight shots of midrange magnum in a gun that can comfortably shoot magnums a lot without K or L-frame longevity concerns. So I guess I could be the target market.

I owned one of those very models for a while and still own the 4" variation. I feed mine with speedloaders, and rarely fool with moon clips.

I sold the short barrel down the road, but before I did I bought a fluted cylinder from S&W, performed the mandatory "lockectomy" and installed the plug. Installed the C&S "U" notch fixed sight and shimmed it to zero. I replaced the grips on mine with a set of VZ checkered grips as I found those boot grips beyond useless.

The gun had very poor balance, was way too heavy for its mission, and the trigger geometry of the "lock" N frames is inferior to the pre-lock versions so I never quite got the trigger to a place that pleased me. I go back and forth on selling my 4" 627, but it is still here.

I found that performance center shorty in the used gun case about a decade ago at a good price and could not resist, it had a very strong appeal until I started trying to use it.

In my "blackpowder life" I am very fond of the LeMatte, so maybe that is where the attraction of a high capacity full power revolver comes from...but that is not an entirely practical paradigm.
    Last edited by fatdog; 06-30-2020 at 06:46 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    DB has posted about the 327 PC, the Sc/Ti version. I‘M thinking he has at least two.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

There is a following for N-Frame snub-guns. The followers may be few, but they are devoted. The pre-keyhole “Bloodwork” 627 is especially desirable. (Apparently, Clint Eastwood carried a “Bloodwork” 627, in a movie.) Some number of folks will settle for the ones with key-holes.

If my index fingers were long enough to get into a good position on an N-Frame trigger, in DA mode, I might be devoted to N-Frame snub-guns, too.

Edited to add: Yep that two-finger grip is silly. Style before function.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My dad has one, it's a cool gun. I had the 686 version for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The pre-keyhole “Bloodwork” 627 is especially desirable. (Apparently, Clint Eastwood carried a “Bloodwork” 627, in a movie.)
    And the movie was...Blood Work.

User Tag List