Thread: .32 caliber vs barrel length?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

.32 caliber vs barrel length?

I've had a recurring itch for a .32 caliber SP101 for quite awhile now. I like the balance of the current production .327 Magnum with FO front sight and adjustable rear. But the ramp for the front sight makes the whole thing look ungainly and Bowen doesn't make a Rough Country rear for the littlest Ruger. I'm also pretty sure I won't like the blast of the .357 in a 4.2-inch barrel, so I'm open to .32 H&R. Understanding that does mean I'll basically have to load every round I ever put through it.

SP101 thinking that it's going to be a bit smaller and lighter than a K frame, but still with six rounds. I don't trust Colt's quality on the new Cobra and the aesthetics of the Kimber are offensively artless. There's the new 856 Defender, but I'm hesitant about taking on the un-kittening of a Taurus. Life may be too short for that. Having a cylinder latch that operates the same as my other DA revolvers (all Rugers) seems like a good idea.

I'm currently targeting the 4-inch .32 H&R with drift-adjustable rear sight. I like the smaller, pinned front sight and less snaggy rear that won't move around randomly under recoil, but is still better as a sight than just a groove. They are hard to find and there's lots of competition to buy them when they do pop up.

I'm thinking I would prefer the 4-inch barrel for maximizing velocity (small difference over a 3-inch, but something) and minimizing blast. But the 3-inch is going to be a couple ounces lighter, possibly carry a little nicer, and is easier to find. It's not like I can go out to a local range and rent a 4-inch and a 3-inch revolver in .32 H&R to see how they are.

What are y'all's thoughts on 4-inch vs 3-inch barrels
    a. with the .32 H&R cartridge
    b. in an SP101?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I also like the .327 Magnum SP-101 but knew I would never shoot the Magnum round in it. I have gotten away from high-pressure/loud report, especially in revolvers. I went a different route and ended up with a Regulation Police in .32 S&W Long. Even shorter than the H&R round, and factory ammo is readily available. The barrel length is 4.25" and the entire package is quite svelte, especially compared to the beefy SP-101. The DA trigger is also much smoother. A 90-grain LSWC a ~725 fps makes for pleasant accurate shooting.

I liked the idea of a 4” .32 H&R SP101 well enough to buy one, some number of years ago. (Pre-.327 Federal, so it is .32 H&R.) It remains in the safe, awaiting the day I decide that .357 Mag and .38 Special are more than I want to carry, in this size envelope, or that I want to start using .32 as a utility/kit-gun cartridge. I also acquired a .32 H&R all-stainless .32 H&R J-snub.

Already, I am leaning toward starting to tote the .32 J-snub, as .38 Special is becoming a bit much for my less-healthy right thumb/hand/wrist.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

This should help:

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/32hr.html

The SP01 in their test appears to be a 3" model, since they state that in the .327 test.

What are these ballistics for? Moo cow? oink pig? Bah dude? Growly bear? I find 327 in my Lcrx fun to shoot and the H&R like shooting 22’s. 3 inch steel should be even more tame but if I was going longer I’d go 6.5 inch Single Action.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I liked the idea of a 4” .32 H&R SP101 well enough to buy one, some number of years ago. (Pre-.327 Federal, so it is .32 H&R.) It remains in the safe, awaiting the day I decide that .357 Mag and .38 Special are more than I want to carry, in this size envelope, or that I want to start using .32 as a utility/kit-gun cartridge. I also acquired a .32 H&R all-stainless .32 H&R J-snub.

Already, I am leaning toward starting to tote the .32 J-snub, as .38 Special is becoming a bit much for my less-healthy right thumb/hand/wrist.
    I found the 4" SP101 in .38/.357 to have a "sweet spot" for handling, balance and behavior when loaded with .38 Special target wadcutters, but would prefer a 3" barrel if I opted for a .32 chambering. Why Ruger does not offer an adjustable-sighted 3" SP101 stainless "kit gun" in .32 or .22 rimfire puzzles me. Even a "driftable" Novak-style sight setup would do. The TALO 3" stainless .357 SP101 with the Novak sights would make a dandy knockabout/kit gun revolver were it chambered in .22 rimfire or .32.

Actually, why Ruger doesn't put the Novak-style front and rear sights on all SP101s that do not come with fully adjustable rears also puzzles me...
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I have a S&W 31-1 (32 Long) with a 4" barrel. I'm not seeing a need for a 327 mag or H&R mag. It makes more sense to me if it isn't going to be used to hunt with or carry. I would probably seek out an H&R mag for that.

Just about everything 32 has fallen out of favor with manufacturers and ammo is hard to find on the shelf. The fact that cowboy action shooters use 32 long makes the ammo a lot cheaper than anything mag.

I would buy the SP 101 with the 3" barrel. 327 mag is a respectable SD revolver so go with the shorter barrel if you think you might carry it. 32's are way more fun than shooting 38 special or 357.

I might buy another one just because I'm reloading 32 now. S&W gave up on the 32. If they would make one I would buy it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-25-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List