Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: In search of sub-second reloads from slide lock

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @NoTacTravis, your reload is pretty good. @GJM and @Eyesquared have already provided some good feedback. Here's some more.

1. A consistent reload is more important than trimming another 0.3s, and it needs to work while you are moving, during transitions, etc. Yours seems consistent, so good job. But, as GJM points out there's room for improvement in where your grip is pointed.

2. Your movements are all at a similar speed. The next level is being able to accelerate and decelerate during the motion.

3. You can get to the new mag faster. Isolate that, and practice picking that mag FAST and getting it to the magwell parallel to the grip. But the mag pick needs to be light as well as fast. No big impact on the mag carrier.

4. Inserting the mag can't be speeded up too much without risking consistency or fouling up the return (see below). I used to hold the gun very high, and that worked great on static reloads. Now, I bring the gun down and in because that works under all conditions and I can return the gun up to target just like for a draw. I can't see inside the magwell, but I can see my hands so that's all I need to make sure the mag is lined up with the gun.

5. Returning the gun to target is where a lot of people lose speed--or worse--lose points. I notice a bobble in your muzzle when you push the gun out after the reload. Pay attention to your sights and make sure they return smoothly to where you're looking. This is a very important, but neglected part of the reload. I recommend working on this in isolation: seat a mag and return the gun over and over to make sure your index following the reload is fast and smooth. See how @Gio does this really well in his video.
    This is on point, I can't think of anything of real extra value to add. Possibly Burkett reloads to isolate hand speed to the mag and back to the Maxwell. He could pick up a lot of speed there. One analogy I recently heard is snap your hand like thinking of a rubber band snapping back to the mag and back out to the gun.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @NoTacTravis, your reload is pretty good. @GJM and @Eyesquared have already provided some good feedback. Here's some more.

1. A consistent reload is more important than trimming another 0.3s, and it needs to work while you are moving, during transitions, etc. Yours seems consistent, so good job. But, as GJM points out there's room for improvement in where your grip is pointed.

2. Your movements are all at a similar speed. The next level is being able to accelerate and decelerate during the motion.

3. You can get to the new mag faster. Isolate that, and practice picking that mag FAST and getting it to the magwell parallel to the grip. But the mag pick needs to be light as well as fast. No big impact on the mag carrier.

4. Inserting the mag can't be speeded up too much without risking consistency or fouling up the return (see below). I used to hold the gun very high, and that worked great on static reloads. Now, I bring the gun down and in because that works under all conditions and I can return the gun up to target just like for a draw. I can't see inside the magwell, but I can see my hands so that's all I need to make sure the mag is lined up with the gun.

5. Returning the gun to target is where a lot of people lose speed--or worse--lose points. I notice a bobble in your muzzle when you push the gun out after the reload. Pay attention to your sights and make sure they return smoothly to where you're looking. This is a very important, but neglected part of the reload. I recommend working on this in isolation: seat a mag and return the gun over and over to make sure your index following the reload is fast and smooth. See how @Gio does this really well in his video.
    Thanks for taking the time to break things down point by point! It helps a lot to be able to focus in them individually. I did about 100ish or so reloads yesterday and again today to start to correct the issues mentioned.

To the points above...
    1) My first focus the last couple days now in these sessions has been working on keeping the grip a bit higher, with much less rotation, and just pointing the grip at the mag pouch. I slowed things down to half speed or less and put away the timer for a bit to try to clean up the mechanics first.

2) This makes sense. I can clearly tell that I'm not there yet on this part. Mid-reload, I'm either thinking "point at the grip at the mag pouch" or "move support hand faster". I went back to adding in Burkett reloads today in an effort to be able to modulate the speed. So far it feels like the early stages of just trying to move my support hand faster rather it being at "cruising speed". Mid-rep though, I might as well be moving my support hand through water trying to actually make that happen.

3) My mag pick has definitely not been "light". I'm going to have to work on that. Hoping that spending more time on Burkett reloads again will iron some of these things out once I fix the grip angle part. I think I'm losing the most time at this point in the support hand speed after straightening the reload path out a bit.

4) Thank you! That is very helpful and both with the magwell look as well as standing reloads not always being equal to ones while moving. I've occasionally added a few in moving off-line left or right with just a step or two or some movement when adding the mag back in to set up for the next rep. Should I focus more on that or is this more of a "keep in mind what's next or the future context?"

5) Ironically, previous to reading your comment my self-perception was that I was doing great there (facepalm). I thought I had recovered a clean sight picture and hadn't noticed any bobbles. Then today, I repeatedly noticed on random reps I'd almost have a "mini-casting" type of motion. Dipping the sights down into the notch with my wrists at the very end of the press-out. I'm thinking this is what you noticed and I just picked up on it with the more extreme example today. I'll try to pay more attention to that and then re-watch my videos.

Thanks again to everyone who took time to post up here! Cheesy as it sounds, this thread is probably the best thing to happen to my shooting this week. My weekly/month plan to improve (in this area) based on it is to put the timer largely away for these sessions for about a week and put in 400-500 reps of full slide-lock reloads refocusing on cleaning up mechanics of the grip angle with Burkett reloads mixed in throughout the session to speed up my support hand. After about a week I figure I'll re-introduce the par timer, take vids again, lather, rinse repeat weekly for a solid month. I'm thinking I need to watch the vids posted by Gio and Clobberaurus repeatedly as well to reinforce more correct form on my part.

I've been working on this pretty consistently still in dryfire with a few hundred dryfire slide lock reloads per week. Progress has been relatively slow but I'm generally keeping the par timer at 1.5 sec now and completing the drill in 1.3-1.5 for the majority of timed reps. On a good day, the stars align and I finally start to hit the actual beginning of the beep and pick up a couple of tenths and think about dropping the par time again.

Then today the mag catch spring broke. I'd planned on having a back-up G19.4 by now but the Rona has made finding one in any kind of normal price range impossible. Ordered 4 mag catch springs, a handful of trigger return springs (I'd always figured I'd break the gen4 trigger return spring first on the practice gun), and a couple of recoil spring assemblies to get ahead of future problems.

I guess now is the time to start the parts bin. I hadn't anticipated mechanical failures bringing me any down time this early in the game. Not exactly confidence inspiring to have the mag drop back out to the floor and the button go dead after reinsertion on the single gun I own. Really hammers home the point of having a pair and a spare.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List