Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In search of sub-second reloads from slide lock

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

and more time on consistency, efficiency, and accuracy.
    I've won a lot of IDPA matches this way. Nothing I do is super fast. I just let my buddies mess up trying to beat me.

If I could go back and do my training over, I would spend less time chasing ultra fast par times on stuff like this, and more time on consistency, efficiency, and accuracy. A 1.2s draw and a 1.2 to 1.4s reload is good enough to shoot 100% on most USPSA classifiers.
    This makes sense. I'm not sure how to put it into practice in dryfire though. Should I focus less on slide lock reloads in dryfire and put the time to another drill?

My live fire is pretty strictly limited to once per week 100 rounds for the next year or so. I'm trying to shore it up by working harder in dryfire. Any quick tips for drills I should substitute in for some of my slide lock reload gun handling time?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    This makes sense. I'm not sure how to put it into practice in dryfire though. Should I focus less on slide lock reloads in dryfire and put the time to another drill?

My live fire is pretty strictly limited to once per week 100 rounds for the next year or so. I'm trying to shore it up by working harder in dryfire. Any quick tips for drills I should substitute in for some of my slide lock reload gun handling time?
    How fast can you draw to a 25yd A zone in live fire?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    How fast can you draw to a 25yd A zone in live fire?
    Interesting question. I'll have to check next week to get a time. I'm assuming sloooowwwww though. I've only recently turned the corner to be able to even make consistent hits at 25 yards (on an 8" steel plate trained maybe 3 times in the past couple of months. At the time I was just excited to even score hits in slow fire).

If I could go back and do my training over, I would spend less time chasing ultra fast par times on stuff like this, and more time on consistency, efficiency, and accuracy. A 1.2s draw and a 1.2 to 1.4s reload is good enough to shoot 100% on most USPSA classifiers.
    Here is how I would do it over.

1) I would learn trigger control.

2) Then I would learn recoil control, to be able to quickly shoot multiple, accurate shots.

3) Then I would learn how to transition efficiently.

4) Then I would learn draws and reloads.

5) Then I would learn how to shoot into and out of position.

6) Then I would learn to shoot on the move.

7) Finally, I would learn to post on the internet. Too many of us, myself included, half learn step 1 or 2, and then jump to step 7.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Interesting question. I'll have to check next week to get a time. I'm assuming sloooowwwww though. I've only recently turned the corner to be able to even make consistent hits at 25 yards (on an 8" steel plate trained maybe 3 times in the past couple of months. At the time I was just excited to even score hits in slow fire).
    I here you, it's funny how much slower I am on an 8 inch plate @ 25 than I am on a zoned target. Obviously, it's a mental thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I here you, it's funny how much slower I am on an 8 inch plate @ 25 than I am on a zoned target. Obviously, it's a mental thing.
    Shoot some Steel Challenge, and it will fix that in no time!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As promised, here’s a 2 reload 2 video with sub 1 second reloads. Notice how on the slide lock reload around the 3:15 mark I am activating the slide release simultaneously with driving the gun back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    As promised, here’s a 2 reload 2 video with sub 1 second reloads. Notice how on the slide lock reload around the 3:15 mark I am activating the slide release simultaneously with driving the gun back out.
    That's outstanding to put down those kind of times repeatedly. Thank you for posting!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

Jesus H that's fast.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List