Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In search of sub-second reloads from slide lock

@GJM Thanks for posting! I literally came back from live fire working on 2 reload 2 and sat down to see your version. At 5 yards my best of 5 runs was 3.64 with a (1.23, .2, 1.97, .24) and still putting up only 3A, 1C. At 10 yards my best of 5 runs slowed to a 4.37 (1.01, .48, 2.3, .55), again with 3A 1C. Apparently I have to learn to do everything literally twice as fast as I am now and then learn to be consistent at it as well.

On a tangent, I am frequently stumped by your draw when I try to watch it. Same as when I've watched footage of JJ Racaza, I can't seem to find the moment when either of your hands drive back down into the gun on the draw. It's like your arm flies upward from your side and the gun gets glued to your hand along the way. Is this a "scoop draw" or is the economy of motion just so good that I can't find the moment of driving back downward?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    There's a lot to unpack here.

I think top USPSA guys may not be hitting sub second reloads at matches but a fair number of them are doing it in dryfire. Your reload time sounds respectable to me with 0.2-0.3s of allowance for concealment and say another 0.1s for the slide lock. Keep in mind that in dryfire you're reacting to the beep as well, so the time doesn't compare straight across to live fire drills where someone knows in advance when to reload.
    Thanks for taking the time to give me input! Sadly, you're giving me too much credit with the extra allotment for concealment. I should have clarified better after mentioning IDPA gear, my dryfire work and the par times I posted are without a cover garment. I'm still trying to get my basic gun handling to a competent level without the extra difficulty of concealment at this point.

Your point about reacting to the beep is something I hadn't considered. I was going to mention that in the past couple months in live fire I tend to be a full second slower on the shot timer (for the reload time) than in dryfire. I've narrowed that gap slightly if my better runs in live fire today are an indication. But I am very slow to reacquire the target each time and place an alpha after the reload. I find myself wanting to take the better part of a second to squeeze off a shot post reload. Any tips beyond repetition for that part?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    @GJM Thanks for posting! I literally came back from live fire working on 2 reload 2 and sat down to see your version. At 5 yards my best of 5 runs was 3.64 with a (1.23, .2, 1.97, .24) and still putting up only 3A, 1C. At 10 yards my best of 5 runs slowed to a 4.37 (1.01, .48, 2.3, .55), again with 3A 1C. Apparently I have to learn to do everything literally twice as fast as I am now and then learn to be consistent at it as well.

On a tangent, I am frequently stumped by your draw when I try to watch it. Same as when I've watched footage of JJ Racaza, I can't seem to find the moment when either of your hands drive back down into the gun on the draw. It's like your arm flies upward from your side and the gun gets glued to your hand along the way. Is this a "scoop draw" or is the economy of motion just so good that I can't find the moment of driving back downward?

Some info here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....draw-technique
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    A full sec off your current slidelock reloads is a lot. That said, have you videoed yourself, especially in slo-mo to look for lost/wasted movement and time? For me, the biggest time suck is to remember to get my support hand moving and retrieving the mag as soon as the gun runs dry. While your support hand is doing its thing is while your strong hand is doing the mag release thing and then moving/canting the pistol. Realistic for me with a full-frame Glock and no magwell is 1.5-1.6 on-demand in the middle of a FAST. If I just do 1R1's, I can push a little faster. Lately, though, with my 19 I've gotten my grip to the point that I'm completely incapable of getting a 19 length mag to drop free and end up having to strip the mag every time.
    Thank you for the tip! I've video'd myself a couple of times but it's sounding like something I need to do more of. For some reason I hadn't thought about using the slo-mo feature for this. I'll do some of that today during dryfire practice.

Am I interpreting your support hand tip correctly if I try to keep in mind "the support hand speed drives the reload speed", or is that taking it too far?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Thank you for the tip! I've video'd myself a couple of times but it's sounding like something I need to do more of. For some reason I hadn't thought about using the slo-mo feature for this. I'll do some of that today during dryfire practice.

Am I interpreting your support hand tip correctly if I try to keep in mind "the support hand speed drives the reload speed", or is that taking it too far?
    To a large degree yes, but not completely. Here’s one of mine where I fumbled the insertion a little and also the slide forward to sight alignment transition could have been smoother.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

To a large degree yes, but not completely. Here’s one of mine where I fumbled the insertion a little and also the slide forward to sight alignment transition could have been smoother.

Why is your pistol so high, and why do you hold the magazine so low?

‘Cause it’s from 2 years ago and I hadn’t figured as much out.
    Food Court Apprentice

‘Cause it’s from 2 years ago and I hadn’t figured as much out.
    Understood!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Understood!
    Here you go, I just went out into the garage, strapped on a belt, and hit record. One take of my current reload. Just missed the buzzer. I’m not loading the gun as high, but I did notice a little lean to the side. Not saying I’m perfect, just demonstrating the “move your support hand to the spare mag” thing.

Food Court Apprentice

In search of sub-second reloads from slide lock

If I could go back and do my training over, I would spend less time chasing ultra fast par times on stuff like this, and more time on consistency, efficiency, and accuracy. A 1.2s draw and a 1.2 to 1.4s reload is good enough to shoot 100% on most USPSA classifiers.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List