Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In search of sub-second reloads from slide lock

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Shoot some Steel Challenge, and it will fix that in no time!
    I'm just starting to shoot USPSA at our club - before this year our club didn't run matches. I'm going to continue to compete in that and also continue in my primary competitive endeavor which is NRA Action Pistol - until it goes away.

The aspects of USPSA, steel challenge, and GSSF that I'm least enthusiastic about is the fact that each round doesn't count. Oh, I know if you are going to be competitive in these events you aren't going to be shooting much more than the minimum shots per stage, but the pressure for a first round hit isn't the same as it is when you only have 6 rounds to take down 6 plates at 25yards.

That is the aspect I was commenting on.

Sub 1 second slide lock reloads are not that difficult to achieve in dry fire. It just takes time and work. But realistically they are more of an Instagram party trick than something I would expect to do in a match. I preload the slide release and work on timing the activation of the lever as the mag seats. I don't practice them in repetition very often but I complete a slide lock reload every single day when I load my pistol with snap caps for dry fire. I've made it a habit to do so.

At my last match, on the final stage, I screwed up with too many misses on challenging B-Zone and plate rack steel and ran dry. I completed a standing slide lock reload (UGH) and it went okay. It wasn't sub second but it was smooth and trouble free due to the daily practice I do with it. I was happy with it going well under match pressure and during a major screw up. Realistically, that's probably about as fast as I can expect to go in a match. Video below at 4:17 or so.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Thanks for posting! Had to go back and look for it a second time as I missed it the first time even though I was looking for it after the 4:00 mark.

Coming back from a frustrating live fire session trying my hand mostly at 20-25 yards today I re-read this thread and I've got to admit I alternate between being impressed and downright demoralized by the vids in this thread. Some really impressive shooters casually blasting out performances I never even thought to strive for on a 5 year timeline.

Going to put in another 100 slide lock reloads in dryfire today. Since I started this thread I haven't cut any meaningful time off my "fastest (for me)" dryfire reload times yet. But as of yesterday (100 dryfire slide lock reloads), on any given group of 10 reloads, more of them are skewed towards my faster times so my average reload time (dryfire) is dropping by about 0.2 so far (more 1.5 and 1.6 times in dryfire and fewer flubs slowing it to 1.9)

Thanks again for everyone who took time out of their days to chime in to a new guy's search for improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Thanks for posting! Had to go back and look for it a second time as I missed it the first time even though I was looking for it after the 4:00 mark.

Coming back from a frustrating live fire session trying my hand mostly at 20-25 yards today I re-read this thread and I've got to admit I alternate between being impressed and downright demoralized by the vids in this thread. Some really impressive shooters casually blasting out performances I never even thought to strive for on a 5 year timeline.

Going to put in another 100 slide lock reloads in dryfire today. Since I started this thread I haven't cut any meaningful time off my "fastest (for me)" dryfire reload times yet. But as of yesterday (100 dryfire slide lock reloads), on any given group of 10 reloads, more of them are skewed towards my faster times so my average reload time (dryfire) is dropping by about 0.2 so far (more 1.5 and 1.6 times in dryfire and fewer flubs slowing it to 1.9)

Thanks again for everyone who took time out of their days to chime in to a new guy's search for improvement!
    If you could post a video the membership here could get you sorted out pretty quickly I am sure. You are putting in the work, so I'm confident you can get there.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post

You're looking at videos from some really good shooters who have put in the time. If I'm not wrong Gio is a USPSA GM who has regularly placed in the top 20 at Nationals. For a guy who works really hard, I think getting to that level in 3-4 years is a reasonable timeline (from what I'm seeing from other shooters in my area). Not sure what classification GJM has or even how it works in Canada in Clobb's case, but you have a lot of time you have to put in, so it's important to have realistic expectations about the pace of improvement you'll see in your shooting.

User Tag List