Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zastava M90 thoughts and videos

Zastava M90 thoughts and videos

Hey guys,

I bought a new Zastava M90 a week or so ago and I have been making some videos to document my playing around with it. It started out with noticing that the polymer mags were wildly ill-fitted to the gun. There is AK mag wobble, and then there is AK mag wobble. This was straight-up mag flop. Anyway, Zastava recommended the steel mags and they were right. There wasn't anything wrong with the rifle, but the poly mags were wildly undersized. Anyway, here are a few videos. I have now fired the first 100 break-in rounds. I have a rail system coming and I am going to see what kind of groups I can squeeze out of it at 100 yards. I couldn't do better than 3-4 MOA with irons but let me be honest, my eyes are dog poo. I am basically minute of pie plate at 100 yards on a good day without optical assistance. Drawbacks of not dying young I guess. Anyway, here is some silliness for you...

This is basically me playing around and burning through some crappy Tula-ammo to break-in.

Here is my video comparing the Zastava to a Saiga (Arsenal Legion) and ....a Sig 550.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-21-2021 at 11:29 PM.

From everyone in the community I’ve spoken with about Zastava I’ve gotten the impression they haven’t improved much from all the bad heat treat and wildly out of spec guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    From everyone in the community I’ve spoken with about Zastava I’ve gotten the impression they haven’t improved much from all the bad heat treat and wildly out of spec guns.
    Which is a shame, because when they do get it right, it's a pretty damn decent AK. Especially back in the ~$400 AK era from whence my problem-free M92 and OPAP came. Sample size of two vs thousands of course, but judging by my round counts through both, I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've always been interested in the M90, I'm looking forward to seeing your full results, Greg!

Somewhat OT - I'm genuinely impressed by people that can make a 'range trip' out of 100 rounds. I have very poor self control on ammo consumption, and I think my shortest range trip ever was ~220 rounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Which is a shame, because when they do get it right, it's a pretty damn decent AK. Especially back in the ~$400 AK era from whence my problem-free M92 and OPAP came. Sample size of two vs thousands of course, but judging by my round counts through both, I'm one of the lucky ones.

I've always been interested in the M90, I'm looking forward to seeing your full results, Greg!

Somewhat OT - I'm genuinely impressed by people that can make a 'range trip' out of 100 rounds. I have very poor self control on ammo consumption, and I think my shortest range trip ever was ~220 rounds or so.
    The M92 and PAPs (including the OPAP’s) were are plagued with issues. There were several builders that straight refused to SBR the M92 because the receivers were so soft.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The M92 and PAPs (including the OPAP’s) were are plagued with issues. There were several builders that straight refused to SBR the M92 because the receivers were so soft.
    Keenly aware, and can confirm egging of FCG holes and other issues on other examples with far lower round counts than mine. I'm just one of the lucky ones, it seems.
    It sucks because if not for that tendency with receiver hardening, they'd be pretty good AK's.

My range is on my property. If I blasted that much every time I took out a rifle I would need to be a billionaire at today’s prices. I’m limiting myself to 150 handgun and 100 rifle per week.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Hey! I did a follow up video documenting the final break-in rounds. I also installed a Zastava factory mount and a zeroed my Primary Arms x2 optic (awesome). Gun is running fine on a variety of el-cheapo 55grain rounds. I am really starting to dig this gun. The only thing I want to do is figure out how to run a flashlight in a way that doesn't seem too Tapco.

Hey! I did a follow up video documenting the final break-in rounds. I also installed a Zastava factory mount and a zeroed my Primary Arms x2 optic (awesome). Gun is running fine on a variety of el-cheapo 55grain rounds. I am really starting to dig this gun. The only thing I want to do is to get a decent sling and figure out how to run a flashlight in a way that doesn't seem too Tapco.

Site Supporter
    The Vickers sling for the AK is fantastic - If I got another AK today I'd have a Vickers sling ordered by this evening.

Khyber customs makes a nice barrel-clamp 1in flashlight mount specifically for the Yugo barrel profile, and it fits a Surefire G2 perfectly.
    Or you can go MLOK or for a handguard and then the world is your oyster.
    Based on the '99 dated M90 kit build I got to examine (should have bought it, d'oh) the Yugo M70 pattern handguards all work.

I posted pics in the big AK thread of the light setups I use. RS Regulate BM2 is for Yugo guns. Measure your barrel to be sure as I’m not sure if the OD on the M90 is the same as the 762 guns. https://rsregulate.com/product/bm-2/

I and not the biggest fan of the Vickers AK sling because of the front hardware. I much prefer a standard VCAS with Belt Fed Loop. Again I posted pics in the big AK thread.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Just in case anyone is interested I did a quick video discussing the Zastava Factory Optics mount. Spoiler alert: it is pretty nice.

User Tag List