Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Keep moving!' Couple brandish an AR-15 and a handgun at protesters

I was in the courtroom for a guy already on fed probation who was being violated and new charges filed for him posting a video to FB of him firing a full auto MP5 at a rental range. It was interesting hearing is attorney argue the video was insufficient to show possession.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It can be done. As far as I know, I had the first successful federal case in the United States where a person was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm based off a Facebook photo.
    Congrats on that one. I've tried and bombed at the state level attempting to get that charge based on IG photos. DA says I can't prove its a real firearm versus a movie prop gun or an airsoft replica.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    It can be done. As far as I know, I had the first successful federal case in the United States where a person was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm based off a Facebook photo.
    Only one I’ve ever heard of. Good job.

Student
    It looks like a local shop is offering to help them out.

https://www.facebook.com/alienarmory...32471603448706

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Congrats on that one. I've tried and bombed at the state level attempting to get that charge based on IG photos. DA says I can't prove its a real firearm versus a movie prop gun or an airsoft replica.

I know of it being charged here, but the prosecutor won't file them any longer as even with 'expert witnesses' they couldn't meet the burden of proof on it was a real gun, even with a bench trial.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't know FL law, but a quick glance shows there is additional options if it's a real weapon, such as "790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."

Here a toy gun could still be Intimidation. A real gun would also be Pointing a Firearm. Many crimes have a "with a deadly weapon" aggravating factor, which increases the level of crime and sentence.

MO has an "unlawful use of weapon" law which includes: "(4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner; ...shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to section 563.031, RSMo... Unlawful use of weapons is a class D felony..."
    For sure there are “add on” charges possible, i was mostly just relaying my personal experience with the base felony “assault with deadly weapon” charge. Note that the FL statute you reference on threatening with a weapon is a misdemeanor while agg assault is a felony. It’s a rude awakening to an 18.1 year old high school senior to find out that the “prank” he pulled was actually a felony with real consequences...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Only one I’ve ever heard of. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know of it being charged here, but the prosecutor won't file them any longer as even with 'expert witnesses' they couldn't meet the burden of proof on it was a real gun, even with a bench trial.
    I think there’s been another one out west... maybe Colorado, but I’m not sure.

The gun in the photo was an XDm..David Williams from Springfield was going to come testify, but we ended up not needing him. We bought every licensed replica/airsoft/etc of an XD (there were no licensed XDm replicas) and brought them in, and proved why none of them could have been the gun in the photo.

The circuit court of appeals ripped me pretty good on some of my testimony...because I couldn’t answer questions about criminals’ social media habits on direct that I told the AUSA in trial prep I could not answer, but he asked anyway. The appeals court said my testimony was expert testimony about something that it’s impossible to be an expert in.

The appeals court still affirmed the conviction. He appealed it up to SCOTUS, but they refused to hear it...so he’s doing his 15 years as an armed career criminal.

There was a technicality the defense could/should have gone after that had nothing to do with the gun... but they didn’t, and I’m not going to go into that post on an open forum.

Site Supporter
    The search warrant is politics...at its worst.

How can it be legal or even acceptable that there is a search warrant yet no specific charges?

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    The search warrant is politics...at its worst.
    Motivated, no doubt, by the fashion police. Seriously, though, it is pretty pathetic how they cherry pick the cases to make an example of...meanwhile, statues, broken windows, arson, looting and general mayhem....not so much. Ah, "blind justice". If only the prosecuting authority understood what it actually meant.

I hope America is paying attention. Because it won't be long before it ends up on Mr and Mrs John Q. Public's doorstep in one fashion or another...and nobody is going to be there for them that has a "D" in the block for party affiliation. (And you'll be lucky if one with an "R" speaks up on your behalf.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I'm struggling with the search warrant with no charges.

User Tag List