Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 230 gr vs 124 gr Gold Dot.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    I prefer heavy for caliber as well,however I seem to remember Doc stating that "HST works best in 147 gr,the Gold Dot works best in 124 +p."
    It's really not that important, trust me. In the grand scheme of things it's practically irrelevant. Just get whatever tickles your fancy and/or is cheaper

That's what he's carrying now. He's limited to the standard pressure version. No problems in OIS or animal putdowns?
    None that I’m aware of. We’ve had some one shot stops with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I've dispatched a few four legged critters with the 124g +P GDs and have been very impressed with their performance. Never tried the .45 GDs on game though, years ago, I did shoot a deer with the old 230g HydraShok. The round performed basically the same as hardball would have. Wasn't impressed.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    In my personal, subjective and relatively limited experience with GSW patients, bullet design was small potatoes vs. caliber (really, centerfire vs. rimfire) and round placement/#rounds.

Once a handgun bullet plows through the pulmonary hilum, it doesn't really matter what caliber or make/model it was. That is not a survivable injury. You could drop right onto the OR table and it wouldn't matter.

Also once saw a bullet that had entered patient's anterior neck (right around adam's apple) and ended exiting around his R. shoulder blade. Missed every single major vessel in between. Weird shit happens. Nothing to get to wrapped up about.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    I've dispatched a few four legged critters with the 124g +P GDs and have been very impressed with their performance. Never tried the .45 GDs on game though, years ago, I did shoot a deer with the old 230g HydraShok. The round performed basically the same as hardball would have. Wasn't impressed.
    The Hydra-shoks didn't expand reliably in the .45 Auto. I think the design worked better with higher velocity cartridges.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The 9mm 124gr, and subsequently the .40 155gr, Hydra Shoks we used to issue were very inconsistent in OISs. Once we switched to Federal Tac Bonded we saw a marked improvement in performance.

Hi. My brother is currently carrying 124 gr Gold Dot in a Glock 17.4,and is considering switching to a Glock 21.4 and using the 230 gr Gold Dots,for those have used both, is there any ta tangible benefit to decreasing capacity for increased bullet weight? He does city patrol officer work in a rural area. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

We discussed this in a thread some time back. The punchline was that in my experience the .45 worked better for putting down large animals, and people tend to forget that everywhere in America there are horses and cattle that get loose, vehicle struck, run through fences, sick etc. They can be very dangerous, and injure and kill far more people than bears ever do. A kick from an angry injured horse will kill a man or child before one can react. Cattle will stomp you into the ground.

If that is a realistic concern in the jurisdiction for your brother, then that may be something to consider. Most rural LEOs shoot far more animals in a career than they ever will people.

However, if he is at an agency that pretty much never puts animals down, and is only concerned with man vs man type situations, then I would go with a 9mm and never look back.

Cheers Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    We discussed this in a thread some time back. The punchline was that in my experience the .45 worked better for putting down large animals, and people tend to forget that everywhere in America there are horses and cattle that get loose, vehicle struck, run through fences, sick etc. They can be very dangerous, and injure and kill far more people than bears ever do. A kick from an angry injured horse will kill a man or child before one can react. Cattle will stomp you into the ground.

If that is a realistic concern in the jurisdiction for your brother, then that may be something to consider. Most rural LEOs shoot far more animals in a career than they ever will people.

However, if he is at an agency that pretty much never puts animals down, and is only concerned with man vs man type situations, then I would go with a 9mm and never look back.

Cheers Friend.
    We very seldom get animals that large, but we do have that potential in a few beats. Our policy is long guns for animal destruction whenever possible, preferably the shotgun.

It would seem along gun is the solution with beasts. I can't imagine much difference tween any service pistol. (will work fine with head-neck also-shots.... best from back or side according to an experienced friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    It would seem along gun is the solution with beasts. I can't imagine much difference tween any service pistol. (will work fine with head-neck also-shots.... best from back or side according to an experienced friend)
    I don't know that effect on animal was the main reason for the policy for us. Buckshot or 55gr JSP is less of a ricochet concern and I think that was the primary motivator. Animal Control used to have tranq guns and would take and euthanize injured animals, but discontinued that service at least a decade ago and we got tasked with animal destruction.

User Tag List