Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's threads like this that make me think about crazy things.

Like the Troy Straight Pull Rifle...I'm wondering if it uses a standard AR15 barrel...if so, I would want just an upper and the bolt assembly. So, I could build a ~10-12" or so .300BLK straight pull pistol.

I'd put the bolt handle on the weakhand side. When you're shooting up close you could more or less leave the weak hand on the bolt and run the gun with it and never have to lift your head or restablish a firing grip. At longer ranges, you can extend the weak hand out for more stability. When the gun is relatively short and balanced well, you should be able to hold it upright no problem as you dump through a 20 or 30-round mag.

It would take practice, but you could make it happen. It's just modifying your shooting technique for a short AR pistol/rifle.
    I posted links to something like that in the PDW thread a couple months ago. Basically, a manually cycled star wars blaster. There's a big thread on .300BLK forum. Buy your own side charger upper, drill and tap the bolt carrier for a handle. Either D&T the port to plug it with a set screw or shrink a sleeve over it. Cut the back off the bolt carrier, and you can run a light spring and PIC-mount, folder BRN-180 style. It's quiet.

On the other hand, you can also get a CVA Scout rifle or pistol that's equally quiet. Doesn't eat from AR mags, but will be a lot cheaper and less fiddle-frackery.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I posted links to something like that in the PDW thread a couple months ago. Basically, a manually cycled star wars blaster. There's a big thread on .300BLK forum. Buy your own side charger upper, drill and tap the bolt carrier for a handle. Either D&T the port to plug it with a set screw or shrink a sleeve over it. Cut the back off the bolt carrier, and you can run a light spring and PIC-mount, folder BRN-180 style. It's quiet.

On the other hand, you can also get a CVA Scout rifle or pistol that's equally quiet. Doesn't eat from AR mags, but will be a lot cheaper and less fiddle-frackery.
    I'm thinking primarily for 50-state use...in places that suck vs. ultra quiet. Just better performance from a short barrel for .300BO vs. 5.56.

But the single shot thing is of interest to me for separate reasons. I guess we should have a thread on CVA Scout/Encore/Contenders/HR Handis/Etc. An - "All things Single Shot" thread?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There is a Contender thread already in the revolver section, because elegant weapons, civilized times and what not. I have been intending to get around to starting a single shot rifle thread one of these days.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I was considering kitting up a short-ish 870 or 590 for this task. I don't think any long gun is going to be terribly usable from inside my vehicle (I have a number of full-size handguns that would fill this role adequately), I just want something that could be kept handy and easily dismounted with. White light, sling, red dot or holo if I wanted to get spendy, some way to carry additional shells on my body. I don't think I have an actual use-case for this, it would just be another thing to have. A 1301 would definitely be way too big, and probably outside the budget.

As a side note, are there any SMEs that can speak to actually using a firearm from inside a vehicle? For instance, I'd be hesitant to go with a .357 Magnum for this task, because I enjoy hearing shit and would like to continue doing that. Is this reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you were going that route, I would buy a bare Remington factory action--note you can't use a donor action, because you're going to be logging this thing as a pistol, not a rifle. Add a Criterion Remage barrel, Magpul furniture (I'd go with a handstop, m'self), and however many Magpul or MDT polymer magazines you want. Now you've got 10-round magazines in a bolt-action pistol firing .300BLK, .308, or whatever other cartridge you want.

Not what I would pick, but there you go.

I've been thinking about the Q Fix mini's for this purpose:

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/...00-blk-pistol/

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I've been thinking about the Q Fix mini's for this purpose:

https://www.liveqordie.com/products/...00-blk-pistol/
    That would be a pretty sweet rig, but it does seem the Mini-Fix is/was having some issues with feeding from some magazines. May be worth reading up on them on Sniper’s Hide if you haven’t already.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I was considering kitting up a short-ish 870 or 590 for this task. I don't think any long gun is going to be terribly usable from inside my vehicle (I have a number of full-size handguns that would fill this role adequately), I just want something that could be kept handy and easily dismounted with. White light, sling, red dot or holo if I wanted to get spendy, some way to carry additional shells on my body. I don't think I have an actual use-case for this, it would just be another thing to have. A 1301 would definitely be way too big, and probably outside the budget.

As a side note, are there any SMEs that can speak to actually using a firearm from inside a vehicle? For instance, I'd be hesitant to go with a .357 Magnum for this task, because I enjoy hearing shit and would like to continue doing that. Is this reasonable?

If you were going that route, I would buy a bare Remington factory action--note you can't use a donor action, because you're going to be logging this thing as a pistol, not a rifle. Add a Criterion Remage barrel, Magpul furniture (I'd go with a handstop, m'self), and however many Magpul or MDT polymer magazines you want. Now you've got 10-round magazines in a bolt-action pistol firing .300BLK, .308, or whatever other cartridge you want.

Not what I would pick, but there you go.
    I shoot rifles from trucks and as long as the barrel is outside the window frame it is not that bad.

I can comment specifically on the .357 as I was just shooting mine last week. It is not nearly as bad as say a .223 or a .308 in fact it is more of a "pop" than a huge explosion. The .357 out of a rifle is pretty tame, but I would still recommend hearing protection. I was shooting my Ruger M77/357 for reference.

I always envision something like this for these situations:
    https://www.breachbangclear.com/mall...lung-up-glock/

I know it might look derpy to some, but if you're running a pistol caliber already, it gives you a very maneuverable, lightweight gun with common mags, easily extendable capacity with a 33rd mag, a little more stability than just a pistol, no cross dominance issues, nothing hard to source or expensive. Someone with more experience should comment on a bungee vs. rigid sling, as I thought a rigid sling set to arms extended would allow you to really drive the gun forward to keep it flat as hell.

The best part seems that if you thought there was a chance you actually needed it, it's low profile under a windbreaker or oversize flannel shirt, either before or after you have to use it. Easy to take in and out of the car by simply wrapping it up in that shirt, rather than a bigger bag, no need to take down.

Name:  Mall_Ninja05-768x512.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  45.0 KB

If that's too Tom Clancy super duper secret SpecOps squirrel, I have no idea. But it seems like it fits a niche to me.

Sorry if this has been touched on. In Michigan we are not necessarily a restricted state. But you can not carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle. I have been wanting to setup a “pistol” but am hesitant on caliber. I would prefer something with more punch given the intended use if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The problem with stocked glocks is there is no manual safety, so you need some kind of holster or something to protect the trigger. You couldn’t pay me to walk around with a loaded and slung glock that had an unprotected trigger when we know that slung rifles, smgs and shotguns with the safety off have resulted in people being injured and killed.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List