Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Gotcha. Didn’t realize we were talking the poly only.

Fight Lite has always seemed a bit...flighty (flitey?)...

If I wanted one of these, I’d probably just buy through a third party vendor, assuming I’m sort of stuck with the configuration I get, short of modifying it myself. Buy two of them, since it’s a proprietary lower and proprietary bolt...

Or don’t and buy a Mini-14/Mini-30...

I wonder if the SCR is any more accurate than a Mini?
    I'm sure it is more accurate since AR platform.
    But $650+ for a complete lower with damn near no factory support, manufacturer specification and absolutely no customer service is a huge gamble. I literally called fightlite every day for a week (this was PRIOR to COVID back in Jan/Feb) before I got someone on the line and not the "full" voice mailbox. The person I spoke with was a customer service rep sounded like the front office lady who had no information at all about the product and stated that there were not any technicians there to answer my question. Emails were not helpful either. I appears, just as a wild ass guess by me, that the company in FL does not manufacture anything, some other shop they farm out to makes and assembles the guns/lowers and they just sell them and deal with the distributors.

Speculatively, I don't know exactly how proven the platform is and I don't trust the company to make it right.

At the very least you know the Ruger will "run" albeit not at a great level of precision, as there are LE agencies and foreign militaries that do issue them.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    The bummer about the SCR is that they have a great idea and a huge market. I believe they have switched gears and are pushing a light weight, belt fed upper of some sorts. I wish they would sell the SCR to someone who would actively pimp it.

Until then, like others have said, I would stick to the Mini. I have had years of good service out of my 580 series. They are much better than the previous versions.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    The bummer about the SCR is that they have a great idea and a huge market. I believe they have switched gears and are pushing a light weight, belt fed upper of some sorts. I wish they would sell the SCR to someone who would actively pimp it.

Until then, like others have said, I would stick to the Mini. I have had years of good service out of my 580 series. They are much better than the previous versions.
    Ares probably didn't have the will or the manufacturing capacity to handle what they had created. Sold the design off to some unknown venture capital-type operation who at the end of the day has no interest in further developing the concept and just wants to use the patent to make a quick buck with a minimal company footprint.

I really feel like there is a lot of lost potential here, too bad a company like DD or LMT didn't buy the patent.
    If they produced them on a large scale with a really good in-house stock (similar to an SGA) and priced them around $350-400, they would sell like hotcakes in the multitude of ban states.

A buddy of mine brought one of these to the range. He writes for some outdoor publications and I got to play with it a bit. Lots of fun.

https://worldoftroy.com/product/troy...e-optic-ready/Name:  troy.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  16.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A buddy of mine brought one of these to the range. He writes for some outdoor publications and I got to play with it a bit. Lots of fun.

https://worldoftroy.com/product/troy...e-optic-ready/Name:  troy.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  16.7 KB
    That might be an interesting option.

Does anyone else have experience with those?

I would suggest taking a look at this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=york

It was a long discussion on essentially this topic. Some of the thoughts and options brought up were really interesting and had a different take that got the brain turning.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Troy also has a Straight Pull version - https://worldoftroy.com/product/troy...ht-pull-rifle/ - Which should be 50-state legal.

Cool option, folding stock, straight pull, AR mags, available in 5.56 or .300BO. Could be a really great traveling around the country choice, if you're potentially going to hit any "guns bad!" places.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I would suggest taking a look at this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=york

It was a long discussion on essentially this topic. Some of the thoughts and options brought up were really interesting and had a different take that got the brain turning.
    Thanks. that thread raised a number of ideas/issues/thoughts that directly impact my choices.

I'm going to have to reconsider exactly what I'm looking for (purpose: PDW in a bag for SHTF or Long gun in trunk/case).

thanks to all....

Wait, I just saw this on the Mass.gov website

Yes. Many rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not copies or duplicates of enumerated Assault Weapons. For example, the following are not copies or duplicates under G.L. c. 140, § 121:

Any handgun on the August 2016 version of the state’s Approved Firearms Roster, available here.
    Handguns are still subject to MA 940 CMR 16.00 et seq Consumer Protection Regulations;
    Any .17 or .22 caliber rimfire rifle;
    Any Ruger Mini 14 or substantially similar model weapon;
    Beretta Cx4 Storm
    FN PS90 or substantially similar model weapon;
    IWI Tavor or substantially similar model weapon;
    Kel-Tec Sub-2000
    Kel-Tec RFB
    Any Springfield Armory M1A or substantially similar model weapon;
    Any of the hundreds of rifles and shotguns on this list —Appendix A to 18 U.S.C. § 922, as appearing on September 13, 1994;
    Any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever, or slide action;
    Any weapon that is an antique, relic, or theatrical prop;
    Any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;
    Any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

This list is not exhaustive; it is meant for illustrative purposes only. Many other weapons are not Assault Weapons or copies or duplicates of Assault Weapons.
    If you've got a bunch of pre-ban Beretta 92 mags.

Then a CX4 Storm "90" model that uses Beretta 92 magazines would seem to be the ideal choice. Since you have Pre-94 bodies - can you add extensions to them? You can easily get a +4 extension maybe even larger. That would get you close to 20-rounds on tap. I'd never feel bad with 20-rounds of decent self-defense 9mm out a 16" gun. Sure it could be "better", but it could be worse too...Just about any decent bonded HP will work out fine...add a red-dot on top and you'll have a good little carbine you can also shoot frequently, because it's cheap to shoot as well.

Unless you have pre-ban Mini or AR mags on tap, you're still going to end up with 10+1 capacity in those weapons. If you do have those available, ignore me and buy a Mini or one of the Troy pump/bolts and upgrade to rifle rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Browning BLR, as already mentioned. I have one Takedown, and one mid-/late-Nineties Lightning, both .308 Winchester.

Shotguns, as already mentioned. I have pair of M2 Benelli shotguns, but the current hot gun at P-F is the Beretta 1301. The days of pump guns being “best” are in the past. I have seen men, stronger and more athletic than me, short-stroke their Remington 870 duty shotguns, too often for me to recommend pump guns to anyone who is not already familiar with them.

A big favorite of mine, not yet mentioned: .357 Magnum revolver, The all-American road gun, in a model and barrel length hefty enough to absorb some serious recoil. I like the GP100.
    Is it not also possible to short stroke a lever rifle?

User Tag List