Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

Site Supporter
    IMHO, ahem, stay away from the Kel-tec that was suggested. I've seen one of them break their stock off in carbine class. Read other reports of the the same. Second, the lever gun. Better learn to run it reliably. Just don't buy it and toss it in the truck for the zombie hordes. Saw a guy at a carbine match, screw up being Lucas McCain with short strokes. Then it jammed and we had to wait while he and the SO figured it out.

Lots of folks around here have the Ruger 9mm carbines with the plain barrel. Yeah, 9mm, stopping power - OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post

A non-legal issue, everyone else in my family is cross-eye dominant. They all shoot long-guns left handed.
    -Ithaca 37 with rifle sights.
    -Lever gun in .30-30, .35 Rem, or .44 mag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I went the lever gun route for this role as well; from a Model 94 to a 336 with RDS. I found, though, both shooting and reloading on the timer, the CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 was a better choice.

Attachment 56539

Attachment 56540
    Reloading I understand...but you can shoot a bolt action faster than a lever action?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I went with a Marlin 1894CS in .357 mag 18 1/2" barrel for some of the same reasons as you describe.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Everyone concentrates on OAL, but the slim profile of a lever gun allows it to be snuk into some tight spaces. I have a scabbard that slings about perfect behind my rear truck seat. A piece of saddle skirting from Tandy, a few simple tools, and an afternoon would allow you to whip up something legal and suitable I’m sure. I have an AR pistol and an older 94 for just this. The 870 is the 3rd option. You just have to be a bit innovative and realize that you’re going to be loading upon removal.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Reloading I understand...but you can shoot a bolt action faster than a lever action?

With equal power i can go as fast.

Keep the bolt between your thumb and index finger and pull the trigger with your middle.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’m just some guy wandering across the double yellow line into another lane...

I think though, that once you start discussing REAL rifle calibers, rate of fire in a civvy situation starts becoming less relevant. I’d be far less concerned about split times if I was forced to utilize a 30-30, 45-70 or similar to defend myself. I’ve never been shot at, nor had to use a weapon to defend myself, but sometimes I think we suffer by scurrying down rabbit holes that lead nowhere. The world has become a weird place, but all things considered presently, the need for a belt fed is not on the horizon.

Talk to me in a month.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    With equal power i can go as fast.

Keep the bolt between your thumb and index finger and pull the trigger with your middle.
    Ah, I really need to work on my riflecraft.

I forgot that was even an option until just now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    -Ithaca 37 with rifle sights.
    -Lever gun in .30-30, .35 Rem, or .44 mag.
    Love my Ithaca. Ejection port same as loading port with enthusiastic throwing out the bottom is a good thing.

My lever gun is a .357, though. More rounds in the tube, and with 158gr JSPs, 100 yards is very reasonably in range.

You know...

This is MASS compliant: https://ruger.com/products/pcCharger...ets/29101.html

Plus one of these: https://www.sb-tactical.com/product-...ace/picatinny/

If you've got any pre-ban Glock mags on hand they will work in the Charger. Otherwise, you're going to be limited to 10-rounds in any semi-auto weapon anyways, you might as get quick change mags and a compact package. Remember one goal of the "truck gun"/"PDW" is the ability to get faster and more accurate hits with it than your pistol.

Another thing to think about, something like a Charger with the brace folded is compact enough to sling across your body and drive with. Or deploy from inside a vehicle with the brace folded. You simply aren't going to get that with a bolt or lever action rifle or pump shotgun (outside of perhaps a Shockwave/Tac-14 type weapon).

I don't know if I can stress this enough - the weapon needs to be accessible and ready to go from inside the vehicle.

The time where I could have potentially used such a weapon...I was going to ram into a motorcycle at relatively high speed. Thus a car crash and subsequent mobbing was inevitable. I definitely did not have time to retrieve a shotgun and load it. I had a pistol on my person and that was going to be my tool. If I'd had some kind of PDW pistol in a backpack, assuming the backpack wasn't lost in the subsequent crash (i.e., secure it properly), I could have retrieved the weapon from that bag and deployed it.

I pretty much view any "trunk gun" - the core idea being a full-sized rifle or shotgun that must be loaded prior to use to be about as useful as tits on a mule, particularly if you're stuck in a mob. Look at the videos right now for how quickly crowds mob a vehicle and think to yourself, "Could I get a weapon out of my trunk and load it in that time?" The short answer is, "Probably not."

User Tag List