Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

Another vote for a Winchester or Marlin lever action rifle in .30-30 caliber. LASD had them I believe well up into the 1960’s. Jeff Cooper thought pretty well of the Win model 94. Keep the extra stuff off of it. You don’t need a ghost ring sight, night sights, white lights, or a sling. Any person with reasonable eye sight should be able to shoot reasonable groups with open “buck horn sights” just fine. This is the KISS principle to the extreme. If it should be stolen/lost/destroyed/confiscated/seized, you aren’t out a lotta money.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Double your pleasure. Double your fun!

https://www.luckythirteen.com.au/pro...re-fire-range/
    I've seen those. Are they even available in the states? Last I heard they were only in Austrailia. Plus they're $100 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like the 1301, but it's a little long for what I think of as a truck gun. Wouldn't want to have to manipulate it inside the cab, but if you're thinking about exiting the truck and fighting close range threats, it's probably the best option around.

Does the folding stock restriction apply to semi-autos only, or to all long guns? There was a Remington 7615 at Collector's Firearms here in Houston for ~$600 a few weeks ago. Might still be there, as there's little reason to own one of those in Texas. If there's a folding stock option (870 stuff might cross over, I don't know), that might not totally suck.

I also think the Fightlite SCR is interesting for ban states, especially if travel is involved, as splitting the receivers lets the whole thing pack short.

If you can find one of the Chiappa Alaskan takedown 1892s, that was discussed several months ago, I think in the lever gun thread. Likely to be much smoother than a Marlin out of the box, but expensive. A Marlin 336 in .30-30 is probably the default least expensive, most likely to be decent option. And there are lots of them around.

A Stevens 311 cut down to 18.5 inches would be super light and compact. Also discussed recently. If you're talking about reloads inside the truck, the break-open action might require more space than you have.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Browning BAR Mk3 DBM. 308 w/ 18" barrel available in wood or synthetic stocks. Mags offered in 5/10/20 round capacity. FNAR is more or less the same rifle.

The model 12 Winchester shotgun is another option if it needs to be compact in storage. They come apart at the middle, both barrel and magazine, at the front of the receiver. Shooter grade examples can be had fairly reasonably. I added a sling and rifle sights after cutting the barrel to 20", which is what the butt and receiver measure when taken apart. I used the Williams Shorty shotgun ramp front and a Remington model 700 rerar sight milled to the barrel diameter and sweated on. The sling mounts are easy, you may want a semi-talented gun mechanic or smith to install the sights, or just go with a front bead which you may be able to do yourself. A good pad is also a worthwhile improvement. They hold 5 or 6 rds from the factory, I forget which. Takedown or reassembly takes maybe 15 seconds.

Name:  IMG_5667.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  70.9 KBName:  IMG_5666.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  70.3 KBName:  IMG_5665.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  64.9 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Browning BLR, as already mentioned. I have one Takedown, and one mid-/late-Nineties Lightning, both .308 Winchester.

Shotguns, as already mentioned. I have pair of M2 Benelli shotguns, but the current hot gun at P-F is the Beretta 1301. The days of pump guns being “best” are in the past. I have seen men, stronger and more athletic than me, short-stroke their Remington 870 duty shotguns, too often for me to recommend pump guns to anyone who is not already familiar with them.

A big favorite of mine, not yet mentioned: .357 Magnum revolver, The all-American road gun, in a model and barrel length hefty enough to absorb some serious recoil. I like the GP100.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

AR rifles are banned, but are AR pistols?

My understanding is Mass doesn’t consider SBRs to fall under their AWB? In which case this may be a rare instance where you are better off acquiring an NFA item, in lieu of a pistol.

The question is - what are the regulations on transporting a loaded rifle or shotgun?

The benefit of the “PDW” pistols are that they can be carried loaded and concealed under a concealed handgun license.

If an AR pistol is out and carrying a loaded long-gun is out the answer - in my opinion is goofy looking...

The SCR FiteLite: https://fightlite.com/pistols/scr-pistol-300-blk

A Mare’s Leg Pistol: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865812130

For the Mare’s Leg, Henry makes a nice one - BUT it doesn’t have a loading gate. So you’re probably not going to reload it. The Rossi versions are discontinued and hard to find...that’s okay they sucked anyways. The Chiappa is really the way to go, in my opinion, it has a loading gate and is much higher quality than the Rossi. I just linked to the first one I found, but I would target a .357 Mag version myself for the extra capacity over .44 or .45. A 125-grain Gold Dot out of a 12” barrel wouldn’t be anything to sneeze at. Or Barnes VorTx 140-grain .357 Magnum.

Of course you can run .38 for practice in a .357 gun.

If I was going to try to make either of these weapons work - I’d want to figure out a mount for a reflex (RMR) type optic. You’ll be brining the gun up to cheek level and a low mount red dot will greatly improve the accuracy.

a lever gun in 30/30. :Legal everywhere, ammo easy to get, can be found dirt cheap, I picked up a clean Winchester 30/30 for under $300 bucks at a NH gun shop. The same gun in Ma wa shop would have been $500plus.

I went the lever gun route for this role as well; from a Model 94 to a 336 with RDS. I found, though, both shooting and reloading on the timer, the CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 was a better choice.

Name:  BD8A53ED-56C3-4EAA-9CFD-5C7BD471E7F7.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  6A634512-0334-46CE-B70A-B79E9C5A356E.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  92.2 KB

I think a good lever gun (we all have our favorites but it doesn't really matter imo) or bolt.

Detachable mags are nice if you need to drive with an empty gun.

Since I dont have a truck anymore I have a backseat gun. I keep my shockwave in a SAW barrel bag. Ideally if im in a violent encounter while in my car Im going to focus on driving but I can quickly pull out the shockwave if i needed.

Another good option would be a cheap old surplus g22 in a flux brace. RDS and surefire x300.

For more traditional rifles a M1 or sks would also be a good choice to keep unloaded.

Any shotgun that you like would work too.

User Tag List