Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

I've read through this thread a few times but had nothing of value to add. Over the weekend, I spoke to a friend of mine living in CA for the next 3-5 years and asked what he was doing in terms of guns down there. When he moved, he left everything not CA legal at his Dad's place. He told me that for a long gun, he's running a Fightlite SCR lower with a regular 16" AR upper, Aimpoint and a scout light. I've seen pictures of them but have never gave them much thought. His sample of one has worked out very well for him. He has a few thousand rounds through it, including one carbine class. He grew up around traditional hunting rifles so the cross bolt safety was easy to get accustomed to. Even though I don't need it, I kinda want one just to messa round with.

https://fightlite.com/rifles/scr

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    Or maybe a good compound bow set.
    Too slow. You need to be like this guy.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm guessing the Mare's Legs suggestions aren't on the compliant list(s)...They aren't semi-automatic so the elements of the AWB shouldn't apply.

Okay wait...I have an idea and it's fucking crazy but hear me out.

I just looked apparently hand guns made prior to 1998 don't have to be on the handgun roster, right?

Inglis Hi-Power - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870723501

Broomhandle Mauser 'Red 9' - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872178239

Artillery Luger - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872107369

I know it's absurd...but
    1) Shoulder stock
    2) detachable mags (in the case of the Luger and HP)
    3) they are not SBRs according to the NFA (being exempt under C&R eligibility).
    4) Legal to carry on your person under a concealed handgun act.
    5) Exempt from the MA Roster Requirements.

No law says you have to use the stock Inglis upper and barrel or safety on your gun when shooting it. You could get an upper built, dovetailed rear sight with a MRDS dovetail and use an RMR/DPP, use an updated thumb safety...I bet you can even find pre-ban high-capacity Hi-Power magazines...
    Well, playing Devil's Advocate, from handling and shooting my two:

- The Broomhandle is MUCH easier and pretty much foolproof to get out of the stock, get attached and get into action. I can see why they were so popular with the Chinese warlords when a lot of the country was on horseback a lot. The stock practically mounts itself (hand finds hand and CLICK). Ergonomics are 'unique' but not bad, depending on the production variant you can have it on safe hammer down, or cocked and locked. Reloads are slower, but not horrible with practice and good stripper clips. I suppose some places not having a detachable magazine could be a plus. Ammo selection is much more limited.

- The Artillery Luger feels much better when assembled, much more like a 'real' carbine. Ergonomics are much better and reloads are faster because spare mags are plentiful and reloading feels natural. That said, the stock can be a bit of a chore to mount, and they can be very ammo / magazine picky. The rear sight is not ideal but really no worse than on the Broomhandle. I hope to find a naval Luger cheap enough to play with at some point. I think that slightly shorter barrel and more conventional rear sight would be more practical.

Mine were cheap and are restoration projects, and I currently would not consider either of them reliable enough to use as primary defensive weapons. Now, if you were to go buy a really nice one for $2500-4000 from Rock Island Auction and put some new springs in it....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 07-11-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Insert Steyr Scout or Canadian Ranger (Tikka T3x) rifle topped with a LPVO or red dot in .308 here.
    You can always find a way to make either one 50 state plus Canada legal.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    If magazines were more available an old Savage 99D in .243 or .308 with a 4 round detachable box would be an interesting option also.

User Tag List