Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    You couldn’t pay me to walk around with a loaded and slung glock that had an unprotected trigger when we know that slung rifles, smgs and shotguns with the safety off have resulted in people being injured and killed.
    Good point. I have it reliable authority that a large west coast police department had at least 2 NDs with slung firearms. In both cases, the long guns were on safe, originally, but contact with vest-mounted gear swiped off the safety. Sometime later, a careless finger or other piece of vest-mounted gear pressed the trigger. That's why ITTS teaches positive control of the slung firearm with at least one hand, at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The problem with stocked glocks is there is no manual safety, so you need some kind of holster or something to protect the trigger. You couldn’t pay me to walk around with a loaded and slung glock that had an unprotected trigger when we know that slung rifles, smgs and shotguns with the safety off have resulted in people being injured and killed.
    I had considered some way of rigging up a Vanguard to deal with that. Had already though it, neglected to say so in the post.

Concept wise, do you feel it has to have a manual safety? Or would a DA trigger work?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I had considered some way of rigging up a Vanguard to deal with that. Had already though it, neglected to say so in the post.

Concept wise, do you feel it has to have a manual safety? Or would a DA trigger work?
    I’m just a civilian who hasn’t been anywhere or done anything as far as fighting. With tha as a discalimer for me I want a safety if a weapon has a stock and sling (exception being a lever gun that I can give a dead trigger by lowering the hammer). I could imagine myself getting the trigger of even a D.A. gun caught on something and then pulled with enough force to make a loud noise, but I do have a vivid imagination.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

If I could live with the range/power limits I'd (like many have already said) go with the .357 or .44 lever gun & a revolver to match.

If I wanted more range/power I'd buy a previously butchered Lee-Enfield (No. 1 or 4), cut the length of pull down as short as usable, cut the barrel as short as legal, add the sights of my choice, feed it PRVI soft points, throw a bunch of chargers and a couple loaded mags in a haversack and rock that baby coast to coast.
    Very fast bolt, stupid reliable, easy to load, can be stored empty with a loaded mag ready to insert, a spectacular safety, plus the cool factor is off the chart.
    But I love me some Lee-Enfields.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    If I could live with the range/power limits I'd (like many have already said) go with the .357 or .44 lever gun & a revolver to match.

If I wanted more range/power I'd buy a previously butchered Lee-Enfield (No. 1 or 4), cut the length of pull down as short as usable, cut the barrel as short as legal, add the sights of my choice, feed it PRVI soft points, throw a bunch of chargers and a couple loaded mags in a haversack and rock that baby coast to coast.
    Very fast bolt, stupid reliable, easy to load, can be stored empty with a loaded mag ready to insert, a spectacular safety, plus the cool factor is off the chart.
    But I love me some Lee-Enfields.
    I think both ideas are workable. Ive been going with a lever for the most part.

This is a no4 Enfield I modified a few years ago, and unfortunately ended up having to sell. Barrel cut to 19", US1917 front sight band, sweated or pinned, (dont recall), it zeroed OK as is with the issue rear sight. I cut the stock back and moved the band back an inch or so to balance the looks. I liked it a lot.

Name:  20160323_180101-1.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  20160323_180045-2.jpg
Size:  55.2 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I shoot rifles from trucks and as long as the barrel is outside the window frame it is not that bad.

I can comment specifically on the .357 as I was just shooting mine last week. It is not nearly as bad as say a .223 or a .308 in fact it is more of a "pop" than a huge explosion. The .357 out of a rifle is pretty tame, but I would still recommend hearing protection. I was shooting my Ruger M77/357 for reference.
    Interesting! I always found .357 to be way worse than, say, a supersonic 9mm loading, but even that is apples-to-oranges due to the cylinder gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

This is a no4 Enfield I modified a few years ago, and unfortunately ended up having to sell. Barrel cut to 19", US1917 front sight band, sweated or pinned, (dont recall), it zeroed OK as is with the issue rear sight. I cut the stock back and moved the band back an inch or so to balance the looks. I liked it a lot.

Beautiful.
    Buy an old junk buttstock, or a repop, cut it off and install a recoil pad on and it's even handier.
    Stash 4 chargers on a buttstock carrier and Bob's your uncle

I like the lever option but I've been working a bolt since I was 5 years old so that's my happier place.
    I've traveled (for work), dragging a 5th wheel RV from the Pacific to the Atlantic and the Canadian border to the Mex border with a 12 ga. pump, a .44 mag pump, and a 1911. I "think" I was legal everywhere I went. But I drove thru Cook County Ill without stopping and had most guns inside the RV.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My morning break at the LGS had me checking out the Browning BAR MkIII DBM and the Benelli R1, both in .308. The Italian job is, as you'd expect, quite a bit more svelte, but the Browning can be equipped with 20-round mags. I believe all the FN/Browning mags can be had for less than either version of the Benelli mags. If avoiding a pistol grip is key to legality, I reckon either one should work reasonably well. Neither is particularly compact, but the Browning at least comes with an 18-in barrel.

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-magazine.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Same idea, different execution:

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I REALLY like jlw's mag fed Ruger 6.5G on page 6, but that "feeding issues" bothers me some. Plus I'd like more HP out of a bolt gun but that's just me and the things I shoot at.
    Lee-Enfields have fed reliably across every continent for 100+ years in all positions and all temperature from tropics to the arctic.

But I still like your rifle jlw.

The Colt Canada C19 that replaced the Lee-Enfields, is a very interesting rifle but like I said I'm fond of LE's.

User Tag List