Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Does anyone have a readable copy of "Appendix A to 18 U.S.C. § 922, as appearing on September 13, 1994?"

Looking at current code, it's been repealed and the next several pages are just lists of amendments. Could take all afternoon to try to untangle that mess and figure out what it used to say.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Is it not also possible to short stroke a lever rifle?

Good question. It may be possible, though ive not heard of it nor done it in quite a lot of lever shooting with various types. I havent short stroked a pump either in shooting skeet or sporting clays, nor a bolt gun.

I for one would be skeptical of the cowboy action method of short stroked actions and finger flicks of the lever rather than longer but more forceful hand movements, feeling it may be more susceptible to short stroking under stress, but that may just be my unfamiliarity with it, ive never had a short stroked action on a lever besides a browning 22 when I was a kid.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Good question. It may be possible, though ive not heard of it nor done it in quite a lot of lever shooting with various types. I havent short stroked a pump either in sheeting skeet or sporting clays, nor a bolt gun.

I for one would be skeptical of the cowboy action method of short stroked actions and finger flicks of the lever rather than longer but more forceful hand movements, feeling it may be more susceptible to short stroking under stress, but that may just be my unfamiliarity with it, ive never had a short stroked action on a lever besides a browning 22 when I was a kid.
    Me neither, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I've only had to run a lever gun fast once and that was an incident involving a wild boar at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wait, I just saw this on the Mass.gov website

If you've got a bunch of pre-ban Beretta 92 mags.

Then a CX4 Storm "90" model that uses Beretta 92 magazines would seem to be the ideal choice. Since you have Pre-94 bodies - can you add extensions to them? You can easily get a +4 extension maybe even larger. That would get you close to 20-rounds on tap. I'd never feel bad with 20-rounds of decent self-defense 9mm out a 16" gun. Sure it could be "better", but it could be worse too...Just about any decent bonded HP will work out fine...add a red-dot on top and you'll have a good little carbine you can also shoot frequently, because it's cheap to shoot as well.

Unless you have pre-ban Mini or AR mags on tap, you're still going to end up with 10+1 capacity in those weapons. If you do have those available, ignore me and buy a Mini or one of the Troy pump/bolts and upgrade to rifle rounds.
    While extensions are GTG on Pre-94 magazines, all of the Pre-94 Beretta 92 mags I have seen for sale have been the dimpled 15 rnd ones that won't accept an extension without milling the dimples out. I have seen some Pre-ban non-OEM big sticks available for the 92.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Does anyone have a readable copy of "Appendix A to 18 U.S.C. § 922, as appearing on September 13, 1994?"

Looking at current code, it's been repealed and the next several pages are just lists of amendments. Could take all afternoon to try to untangle that mess and figure out what it used to say.
    Welcome to life around here trying to figure it out...

Quote Originally Posted by TripleP View Post
    While extensions are GTG on Pre-94 magazines, all of the Pre-94 Beretta 92 mags I have seen for sale have been the dimpled 15 rnd ones that won't accept an extension without milling the dimples out. I have seen some Pre-ban non-OEM big sticks available for the 92.
    I've got to dig through my pile and see what I've got. I'm thinking the CX4 may be the best of the worst options I've got.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party

.357 mag pistol caliber lever action/sling/sights I can see/white light/butt cuff.

Maybe something like this for an out of the box solution

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...odel-1894-csbl

Short-Stroking

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Is it not also possible to short stroke a lever rifle?
    Yes, one can short-stroke lever rifles, and, short-stroke DA revolvers, or any other manually-operated weapon. One can short-stroke while running the slide of an auto-loading pistol, or the charging handle of an auto-loading rifle. One can short-stroke while cocking the hammer of any hammer-fired weapon.

More than any of the above, I have seen physically-fit human beings short-stroke their pump shotguns, the shotguns they carried on duty, to save their lives, and others’ lives. I observed this during quals and during training. One colleague short-stroked multiple times, during an eight-hour tactical shotgun class.

After three-plus decades of never short-stroking a pump gun, well, it happened to me, during live-fire training, and then it happened again, during a different live-fire training, soon afterward. I had “lost my rhythm,” and then it became a self-fulfilling anxiety issue, repeatable during dry practice. I “went to therapy” with a firearms training officer, at the PD range. He prescribed a shorter-length stock, and plenty of repetitions. With several thousand reps, using a Magpul stock, with no spacers, I regained my rhythm, but my long arms and long neck “hate” a too-short LOP, while trying to get a sight picture, so, it was time to return* to the Benelli system, to take advantage of the Comfort-Tech stock

I do still successfully use Remington pump guns, which have been relegated to stock-less condition. My old duty 870P now has a Pachmayr Vindicator rubberized grip, and my Tac-14 Marine Magnum has its mandated longer Shockwave grip, to keep it in the “Other Firearm” 26” long-gun category. When running these, I am pushing forward on the rear grip while pulling rearward on the fore-grip, so have never short-stroked this shotgun configuration. Indeed, with the emphasis on keeping the weapon forward, toward the target, the weapon hand is doing most of the pumping movement.

I hesitate, however, to recommend stock-less pump shotguns for truck-gun status, or any situation requiring fast follow-up shots. The folks who run these well know who they are, and don’t need my advice. One of my colleagues was a demigod/wizard, with his pistol-grip-only shotgun. Everyone else I have met, including myself, are mere mortals, with these weapons.

*I had used an HK/Benelli M1 Super 90, for duty and personal/home defensive purposes. The butt-stock of that era, however, was not kind to my face or shoulder, and, as high-brass loads were necessary to reliably cycle the action, every shot fired was a powerful kick. After I side-lined this gun, to replace a broken sight screw, I returned to pump guns, and later sold the M1 Super 90.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Re: 14” Tac-14 Versus 18” Stock-less Pistol-Grip Shotgun

In my above post, I mentioned running a Tac-14, and a stock-less 870P with a Pachmayr Vindicator grip. I want to add that there is so very little practical difference in length between these two weapons, and the Pachmayr Vindicator is the more-comfortable grip. It is fun to thumb one’s nose at the BATFEman, with a 14” smooth-bore Other Firearm, but the 18” shotgun, with a well-designed grip, is only a couple of inches longer, so, unless one has a very specific storage problem, there is little practical/tactical reason to opt for the Shockwaved 14” gun.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

It's threads like this that make me think about crazy things.

Like the Troy Straight Pull Rifle...I'm wondering if it uses a standard AR15 barrel...if so, I would want just an upper and the bolt assembly. So, I could build a ~10-12" or so .300BLK straight pull pistol.

I'd put the bolt handle on the weakhand side. When you're shooting up close you could more or less leave the weak hand on the bolt and run the gun with it and never have to lift your head or restablish a firing grip. At longer ranges, you can extend the weak hand out for more stability. When the gun is relatively short and balanced well, you should be able to hold it upright no problem as you dump through a 20 or 30-round mag.

It would take practice, but you could make it happen. It's just modifying your shooting technique for a short AR pistol/rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    Welcome to life around here trying to figure it out...

I've got to dig through my pile and see what I've got. I'm thinking the CX4 may be the best of the worst options I've got.
    I've got a CX4. Not a bad gun at all and the mags go into the grip so it's relatively compact.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List