Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I REALLY like jlw's mag fed Ruger 6.5G on page 6, but that "feeding issues" bothers me some. Plus I'd like more HP out of a bolt gun but that's just me and the things I shoot at.
    Lee-Enfields have fed reliably across every continent for 100+ years in all positions and all temperature from tropics to the arctic.

But I still like your rifle jlw.

The Colt Canada C19 that replaced the Lee-Enfields, is a very interesting rifle but like I said I'm fond of LE's.
    I'd be curious to run the RAR in Grendel vs. in .223, .300 BLK and 7.62x39. It may be that the feeding is smoother with the other cartridges. In the Howa Mini Action, there are many reports of feeding issues with 6.5G that apparently were not experienced with .223, .300 BLK and 7.62x39.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Interesting! I always found .357 to be way worse than, say, a supersonic 9mm loading, but even that is apples-to-oranges due to the cylinder gap.
    Were you shooting a rifle though? .357 in our Marlin 1894 with a 16.5" barrel really is just a pop and recoil is negligible. I think it's because the powder gets consumed in the longer barrel. Plus of course no cylinder gap closer to your ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Were you shooting a rifle though? .357 in our Marlin 1894 with a 16.5" barrel really is just a pop and recoil is negligible. I think it's because the powder gets consumed in the longer barrel. Plus of course no cylinder gap closer to your ears.
    No, I was thinking in terms of having a large handgun for inside-the-vehicle use, as a few others have discussed. I've no .357 rifles, although I toyed around with the idea of the CVA .357 Maximum single-shot, or a T/C, or the Ruger .357 bolt gun.

This is the current favorite general purpose truck utility gun. It came as a 20", the 16" seem to get a couple hundred dollar premium. I did the cut, and have a local gunsmith that will cut the front sight dovetail for $40. I used a Lee case trimmer pilot turned down to fit inside the bore and the cutter as a guide to check muzzle squareness, hand filing until square. I think I used an RCBS deburring tool to crown it, I dont recall.

Older Leupold 1-4 in Leupold bases and low rings.

I think it meets the all state legal concept, besides just being what I like and prefer for a general purpose utility rifle. For the most part I havent found the need to shoot more than a couple-3 hundred yards in my daily life, not including specifically hunting for meat.

Name:  IMG_0138.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  82.4 KB

I stick rounds between my off hand fingers to stage them while loading, it reduces the motions to load somewhat and keeps it in front of you once you get the shells in hand.

Name:  Loading.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-01-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Here's one I put together for restrictive states. Non threatening, traditional looks and legal most places:

Marlin 1894CS 18 1/2 " barrel in .357 Mag. Skinner peep sight. Trigger and action job. Light, smooth, low recoil and accurate.

Last edited by 4given; 07-02-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I've got a CX4. Not a bad gun at all and the mags go into the grip so it's relatively compact.
    Me too. I find it to be short and handy. It’s 30” long, but feels shorter to me.
    Reliable, reasonably accurate, and easy to get hits with a RDS mounted. And B92 mags are plentiful (especially in my house).
    The trigger can be okay, or pretty bad. I had mine upgraded.

The thing you give up is the significant “reach” of a real rifle, and the ballistics of a rifle cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    If I could live with the range/power limits I'd (like many have already said) go with the .357 or .44 lever gun & a revolver to match.

If I wanted more range/power I'd buy a previously butchered Lee-Enfield (No. 1 or 4), cut the length of pull down as short as usable, cut the barrel as short as legal, add the sights of my choice, feed it PRVI soft points, throw a bunch of chargers and a couple loaded mags in a haversack and rock that baby coast to coast.
    Very fast bolt, stupid reliable, easy to load, can be stored empty with a loaded mag ready to insert, a spectacular safety, plus the cool factor is off the chart.
    But I love me some Lee-Enfields.
    One of my long term projects is a previously bubba'd M1917 enfield that retained its iron sights, i'm chopping it to 18 inches moving the front sight and using the plethora of swedish mauser stripper clips I have loaded with 30.06 to feed it, those swedish mauser clips were a great buy... hold 30-06 like they were made for it, and work in all my 1903's and 1917's, unfortunately the 1896 SM I got them to go with is long traded off after I ran out of milsurp 6.5x55 at 8 bucks a box....

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Here's one I put together for restrictive states. Non threatening, traditional looks and legal most places:

Marlin 1894CS 18 1/2 " barrel in .357 Mag. Skinner peep sight. Trigger and action job. Light, smooth, low recoil and accurate.

This is just about perfect. There isn’t much that you might run into CONUS that you couldn’t tune right up with a tubefull from that rig.

Obligatory: I'm not a lawyer, and am also fucking stupid. You would be stupid to listen to me at all.

Apparently, the new hotness here in NY is a non-everything gun: pistol brace, barrel length of 16" or more, OAL w/ brace removed greater than 26", vertical foregrip, built from a 4473-transferred lower. So stuff like this rolling garbagecan/Trijicon advertisement is, according to proponents, legal:

Name:  3qsb5mfaly851.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  70.3 KB

The dumpster fire above has a 10/30-round magazine, which is actually of dubious legality.

For the ATF:
    --Pistol brace so it's not a rifle
    --Vertical foregrip (groan) so it's not a handgun
    --26" length with the brace removed so it's not an AOW (some places are reporting "with the brace fully extended", other places are reporting "no, the ATF decided that didn't count"

For NYS, referring to Section 265 of the Penal Code:

--It's not a rifle, because
    *Receiver transferred as a receiver, not a rifle
    *Brace means it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder
    --It's not a firearm, because the barrel is over 16"

The SAFE Act enumerates stuff you can't have on a semiautomatic, detachable magazine-fed rifle or pistol. But here you're in a spot where you don't meet the NYS definition of a rifle, nor the ATF definition of a pistol, and you're not afoul of the NFA.

Unfortunately, the term "pistol" is not defined in the law. My non-scholarly inclination is that that is a fight the state would not want to have, because they've historically tried really hard for there to not be any rulings on the various grey areas of the SAFE Act.

Also warning that this involves trying to glue together "Shit The ATF Says" with NYS law, along with everything that entails. Gluing them together doesn't always work (why should NYS accept the ATF's definition when they haven't made their own?). The ATF routinely decides to change its mind about shit it says, the shit it says is not law, and even if you're walking around with a copy of the shit they told you, I can think of at least one instance where a judge didn't allow that to be entered into evidence. And of course, it also hinges on NYS accepting the ATF's decision that pistol braces are not stocks.

I'm going to wait and see what happens to the dudes that have built these things, although I suspect it's just going to be a long period of "only illegal when we decide it is". Dark Storm is churning out ARs built in the same vein, but caveating them with "not legal for MA, NY, CA, or MD".
    Last edited by Wise_A; 07-06-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Obligatory: I'm not a lawyer, and am also fucking stupid. You would be stupid to listen to me at all.

Apparently, the new hotness here in NY is a non-everything gun: pistol brace, barrel length of 16" or more, OAL w/ brace removed greater than 26", vertical foregrip, built from a 4473-transferred lower. So stuff like this rolling garbagecan/Trijicon advertisement is legal:

Name:  3qsb5mfaly851.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  70.3 KB

The dumpster fire above has a 10/30-round magazine, which is actually of dubious legality.

For the ATF:
    --Pistol brace so it's not a rifle
    --Vertical foregrip (groan) so it's not a handgun
    --26" length with the brace removed so it's not an AOW (some places are reporting "with the brace fully extended", other places are reporting "no, the ATF decided that didn't count"

For NYS, referring to Section 265 of the Penal Code:

--It's not a rifle, because
    *Receiver transferred as a receiver, not a rifle
    *Brace means it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder
    --It's not a firearm, because the barrel is over 16"

The SAFE Act enumerates stuff you can't have on a semiautomatic, detachable magazine-fed rifle or pistol. But here you're in a spot where you don't meet the NYS definition of a rifle, nor the ATF definition of a pistol, and you're not afoul of the NFA.

Unfortunately, the term "pistol" is not defined in the law. My non-scholarly inclination is that that is a fight the state would not want to have, because they've historically tried really hard for there to not be any rulings on the various grey areas of the SAFE Act.

Also warning that this involves trying to glue together "Shit The ATF Says" with NYS law, along with everything that entails. Gluing them together doesn't always work (why should NYS accept the ATF's definition when they haven't made their own?). The ATF routinely decides to change its mind about shit it says, the shit it says is not law, and even if you're walking around with a copy of the shit they told you, I can think of at least one instance where a judge didn't allow that to be entered into evidence. And of course, it also hinges on NYS accepting the ATF's decision that pistol braces are not stocks.

I'm going to wait and see what happens to the dudes that have built these things, although I suspect it's just going to be a long period of "only illegal when we decide it is".
    I believe California is trying to “close” this loophole in the current legislative session that stemmed from Franklin Armory. I haven’t been keeping tabs on this but know as soon as it gets too close anti-gun will restrict. FWIW They did that in California with the bullet button.

User Tag List