Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Truck gun" for restrictive states

"Truck gun" for restrictive states

The threads on ARs as truck guns and PDWs got me looking into the concept more. Here's the rub, living in the wonderful Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I've got some restrictions to deal with, not considering the political/cultural.

Based on the reason decision by the AG, the sale/transfer of AR pattern rifles are prohibited. Yes, its being fought in court but I'm not hopeful. So that leaves out the AR. AKs are also questionable.

Commenting on this in the other thread brought up a folding stock FN-FAL. The hiccup to that is that folding/adjustable stocks are only allowed on pre-1994 receivers. State Assault weapon ban never sunset here. That includes the M1 Carbines.

A non-legal issue, everyone else in my family is cross-eye dominant. They all shoot long-guns left handed. I don't. So that basically eliminates the bullpups like the Tavor.

Given these parameters, what's your thoughts on an appropriate truck/bag gun? Semi-auto, bolt, or lever action. I'd consider any of them.

Pre-94 greatly restricts choices. Being masshole-land, keeping it as least scary looking as possible might have value, so on the semi-auto side probably either M-1 Carbine paratrooper or one of the folding mini-14's (keeping in mind neither M-1 carbine or mini-14 are renown for reliability). If manual actions are in play, maybe some sort of take-down lever gun, like a 1873 in .357/38? Beyond that, are the folding Kel-tec things like the Su-16 a possibility?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

How about a shotgun? Beretta 1301T would make a good truck gun. Set up w a CROM and the MRDS of your choice and you’ve got a nice setup.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    How about a shotgun? Beretta 1301T would make a good truck gun. Set up w a CROM and the MRDS of your choice and you’ve got a nice setup.
    My thoughts exactly.

Restrictive state and multiple members of the family (assuming different shapes and sizes) needing both left and right hand access = lever gun all day long to me.

But then I like lever guns.

One could do worse than a nice lever with a low-mounted LPVO.

Site Supporter
    Not being familiar with MA laws, my first thought would be the CA compliant version of the Kel-Tec SU-16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I agree with everything above as far as shotgun and lever gun. However, if cost is not a factor then maybe a Desert Tech MDR is an option. You can outfit it as a 556 or 308. It is completely ambidextrous. The spent casing slides forward on ejection so it won't hit your face one way or the other. You can use Magpul 10 round mags for MA compliance. Though Kel-tec's quality is suspicious, they do offer inexpensive folding rifles that take magazines.

I was looking at the Browning '81 takedown yesterday. Looks like a nice traveling gun. Down side is that they run $1,000 and only hold 4 rounds. I bet the mags are expensive too. I also had my eye on an old Savage 99 takedown in .30-30. But those have an internal fixed magazine.

You might be better off with an 870P with a folding stock or something.

Is the Fightlite SCR legal there? That might be the best option.

ETA: Totally forgot about the Ruger PCC.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 06-28-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I was looking at the Browning '81 takedown yesterday. Looks like a nice traveling gun. Down side is that they run $1,000 and only hold 4 rounds.
    Double your pleasure. Double your fun!

https://www.luckythirteen.com.au/pro...re-fire-range/
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

If you can’t/won’t spend the crazy money for pre ban stuff, I think an MCK with folding brace is the best option- especially if you carry railed Glocks. The bonus is that they aren’t firearms.

User Tag List