Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Improvement During Quarantine

Self Improvement During Quarantine

I’m working from home but still putting in 40+ hours so I haven’t gotten as much done as I had hoped on general projects and house work.

I have been able to get some decent personal work in my downtime. I have kept a good workout schedule and have started a decent dry fire routine using a G-Sight bullet. I’m sneaking in the Shivworks YouTube and caught up on Cecil videos and have taken stretch breaks to help my creaky hips and shoulders. I had hopes of catching up on some BJJ instructionals but my wife is WFH as well and isn’t too interested in Hingertines.

What’s everyone doing to try and improve while stuck at home? Looking for ideas I could try to slip in and add to my work.

Full Time Social Worker, Part Time college student (going back to get a coaching degree) and have a 4 year old. Oh I am also building raised beds for a garden. So for Professional Development, I stay on Pistol-Forum. I learn more here anyway. The MODS ARE SHIT HERE

Our box of emergency Snickers is almost depleted, so I'd say I'm most definitely becoming a more rounded individual...

Work, dry fire, workout on the elliptical trainer, walking in the woods... I have a few yard projects in mind but the weather is not co-operating with starting those quite yet.
    Last edited by That Guy; 04-08-2020 at 04:51 AM. Reason: tpyo.

Here's a channel which delivers excellent synopses of a wide variety of self improvement style books. It's like video Cliff's Notes with available outlines. Of course, this isn't a substitute for actually reading the books, and of course, the gentleman condenses and paraphrases, but at least you get a general idea as to whether to subject matter is suitable for diving in deeper. I'm not affiliated with the channel in any way other than being a subscriber to the channel and enjoying the content.

Joseph Rodrigues YT Channel
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I started meditating on a daily basis early last year, and I've got to say, I think it has played a major role in helping me keep my temper in the midst of this mess. I usually only do about 5 to 10 minutes in the evening, but I can slip in my earphones and get a few minutes in my home office if I need to.

I use Headspace, but there's plenty of solid apps out there if you want to give them a try.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Lockpick set and a bunch of practice locks should keep me busy for a while

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    Lockpick set and a bunch of practice locks should keep me busy for a while
    Very interesting. Do you mind sharing your setup? I know next to nothing about picking but it’s interesting.

Between teaching my kids at home, lift/roll/dry fire, cooking, hobby research on PDWs that I’m spending to much time on in another thread, catching up on my reading, and drinking at night you wouldn’t think I would need anything else

I've been very consistent with dry-fire, keeping up workouts in my garage gym, and lots of spring cleaning. I'm seeing a ton of people out on walks and their bikes. Seems a pretty happy apocalypse so far. No need to borrow misery; it'll come or not.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Very interesting. Do you mind sharing your setup? I know next to nothing about picking but it’s interesting.
    From Bosnian Bill
    Lock picking lawyer and Deviant Ollam are two other good channels on the topic.

In my last lab, I set up a lock exchange box and taught people how to get started. It was a good way to keep your hands busy while researching or when something was compiling. It was a hit!

AM skill sets: Dry fire at reduced target (Mondays @ 40 yards (effective); Tues - Fri at 8 yards (effective).
    San Soo solo practice.

AM training: Simple kettlebell workout: upper body push (overhead press) / upper body pull (high pulls or rows), loaded carry (furlong). KB swings for cardio.

PM reading: Currently "A War Like No Other" (Victor Davis Hanson) and "Mastering the Market Cycle" (Howard Marks).

User Tag List