Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Taibbi on White Fragility

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Matt Taibbi on White Fragility

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/on-white-fragility

The book’s most amazing passage concerns the story of Jackie Robinson:

The story of Jackie Robinson is a classic example of how whiteness obscures racism by rendering whites, white privilege, and racist institutions invisible. Robinson is often celebrated as the first African American to break the color line…

While Robinson was certainly an amazing baseball player, this story line depicts him as racially special, a black man who broke the color line himself. The subtext is that Robinson finally had what it took to play with whites, as if no black athlete before him was strong enough to compete at that level. Imagine if instead, the story went something like this: “Jackie Robinson, the first black man whites allowed to play major-league baseball.”

There is not a single baseball fan anywhere – literally not one, except perhaps Robin DiAngelo, I guess – who believes Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier because he “finally had what it took to play with whites.” Everyone familiar with this story understands that Robinson had to be exceptional, both as a player and as a human being, to confront the racist institution known as Major League Baseball. His story has always been understood as a complex, long-developing political tale about overcoming violent systemic oppression. For DiAngelo to suggest history should re-cast Robinson as “the first black man whites allowed to play major league baseball” is grotesque and profoundly belittling.
    Just paid $50 to subscribe to his substack. Worth it.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-28-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Well, environmentalism was kind of getting stale as the fashionable cause for loud displays of public virtue and empty self-flagellation, so now the newest form of surface level self righteousness is pretending to be anti-racist allies. And it's a great way to justify one's own hatred.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

The last line of the article.

It’s almost like someone thinks there’s a benefit to keeping people divided.
    Ask Al Sharpton. I read he was paid $100,000 to speak at George Floyd's funeral!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Well, environmentalism was kind of getting stale as the fashionable cause for loud displays of public virtue and empty self-flagellation, so now the newest form of surface level self righteousness is pretending to be anti-racist allies. And it's a great way to justify one's own hatred.
    Looks like Transgender issues are being relegated to dust bin too.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    The last line of the article.

Ask Al Sharpton. I read he was paid $100,000 to speak at George Floyd's funeral!
    Only $100k? How magnanimous of him!

And the core tenant of this belief is basically "the white supremacist are correct, but that's bad."
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Behold the BLM march up Main Street in my home town. What do we have here? Suffering oppressed individuals or people trying to earn street cred by convincing their fellow town folk they care?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Behold the BLM march up Main Street in my home town. What do we have here? Suffering oppressed individuals or people trying to earn street cred by convincing their fellow town folk they care?

Hey man, you should be a little more considerate. Can you imagine being in their shoes, having to read about racist oppression in the NYTimes over and over again? No justice no peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Hey man, you should be a little more considerate. Can you imagine being in their shoes, having to read about racist oppression in the NYTimes over and over again? No justice no peace!
    See there is a benefit to me for not having fish wrappers delivered.

Is the NY Times Russia? Is Russia the NY Times? Who or what is behind the national psychosis?

Is anything real anymore or just some sort of artificial construct?

4 dimensional gaslighting.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List