Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: Enduring the Coming Progressive Apocalypse

Regarding the acquisition of firearms and ammunition, well, I see that as something to be done regardless of who wins in November. Polarized politics leads to social unrest, regardless of who controls each of those buildings in DC. Social unrest triggers panic-buying of firearms and ammo. Even if I only want to shoot four-legged pest vermin/predators, .223/5.56 ammo is .223/5.56 ammo, .308/7.62 ammo is .308/7.62 ammo, and rifles are rifles.

The snowflake/oddball cartridges are not “safe,” either. They may remain on shelves the longest, but the ammo manufacturers tend to stop loading slow-sellers, to concentrate on the fast-sellers. Try finding .30-40 Krag, right now, for example. (I considered a locally-available .30-40 rifle, new, but with a reduced price due to handling wear, on the stock.)

AR15 uppers have been on my shopping list, anyway, simply because I have two lowers that need uppers. It has nothing to do with politics; I simply bought two complete BCM lowers, when they were plentiful, when there was no fear-buying. I would be buying the uppers, in July, regardless of the political/social outlook, mostly because I will see long-planned, modest infusion of money in my checking account, tomorrow.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    just all fucked if this happens

If everyone remembers the election of 2008, the Democratic party held majorities in both Houses of Congress (111th Congress) and the Presidency (Obama Administration) from 2009 to 2011. Only one really life-changing bill became law, the Affordable Care Act. And it has been challenged, twisted, and tweaked into a shadow of itself. No more tax penalty for no insurance yet pre-existing conditions are still not disqualifying for new coverage.

As such, do not overreact. The system is designed to be and has proven to be resistant to fast change.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Stock up on primers. Primers always seem to be the hardest component to find when the panic buying is going on. You may not be able to find the bullet, powder, and case you want but can mostly find something. Primers on the other hand...
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

It's a firm belief of mine that even a tyranny has to have the implicit consent of the governed to work, and it typically comes in a form that is culturally palatable to the population at large. Our country is too evenly split for one side to easily take charge of the other.

But, we shall see.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Never say never.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Most of the parts to build one are still readily available. Manufacturers are all working overtime to crank them out, so anything that isn't available now will be available intermittently over the coming months. I've had a lot of backordered stuff get shipped over the past couple months.

If the whole damn country turns into California, I might consider moving back to SoCal. It has some awesome mountains, desert and beaches, plus a lot of loved ones.
    SoCal isn't bad. My wife wanted to camp in SoCal when we were traveling but I generally nixed it due to the restrictions. It's a nice area for rec for sure. We camped a few weeks at Sawtooth Canyon south of Barstow, great place. Lots of RVer's like SoCal and spend the winters there and AZ. There are some nice places on the CA side the Colorado R. to camp. Those damn restrictions kept me out of there once we found AZ and NM had everything we wanted for winter RV camping.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Regarding finances:
    - Continue to try to make responsible financial choices
    - Keep saving and investing

On the gun front:
    - The highest priority at this point is a lifetime supply (or more) of >10 round magazines. I've pretty much standardized on Glock and AR for my "practical guns". On the upside, magazines for these platforms are widely available and relatively inexpensive.
    - A couple more stripped lowers and maybe some P80 frames and 80% receivers for a rainy day.

On personal/family stuff:
    - My wife is pregnant with our first child and we have plans for at least one more. We'd like to share our values with our children and encourage them to understand history, liberty, and politics. We also want to ensure they receive the best education and opportunities that we can reasonably afford. My wife is a former teacher with a Masters in Education and still works in a related field. She has talked about eventually running for the school board to help guide the direction of education in our community.

Psychologically I have been through this thing you describe multiple times. I thought all this stuff when Clinton was elected, when he implemented the first gun ban, when he was re-elected. When Obama won I really was dismayed, when he was re-elected I totally gave up on the country in terms of the positive aspects of the capitalist/freedom culture. At that point I decided the future of freedom was mostly lost for good, and I still believe that to be true.

But, so far, the outcome has proven never to be as bad as I expected.

That said, all of it forced me to examine what I owned (firearms, ammo, reloading,etc.), how I invested (less dependence now on equities), where I worked (industry, line of work) and now as I approach retirement probably during the next administration, where I choose to live out the 4th quarter of my life.

When these statist fools finally ban semi-auto firearms, I can defend myself and family against criminals with a revolver, a pump shotgun, and a manually operated rifle. I will not have to go shopping for those, they are laid in as well as reserves of ammo/reloading supplies and my skills for using them. We have left urban or suburban living/residence for good. We will restrict our state of residence to AL and/or WY it appears. I consider these states among some of the last places to go bad if the worst happens politically and socially.

As a person of faith, I know who is in charge anyway, and he was pretty specific about why I should not worry, just make good choices.

User Tag List