Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: Enduring the Coming Progressive Apocalypse

Great responses so far. Lots to think about.

Answering my own question, obviously your outlook is going to depend on your personal situation. I'm retired, debt-free, and live in a safe environment. There is an extremely low probability we will need to repel boarders, unless the mob can make it over the Tampa Rocky Point causeway (3 miles), past the gates to our complext, and back to our apartment. Nevertheless, we are exploring other locales, both with an eye for reducing financial burden (we live in Hillsborough County, the highest sales tax rate in FL), better weather (FL is hot year round, but unbearable Jun/Jul/Aug. It's 96F right now on my porch.) Our upcoming trip out West is partly for this reason (but mostly to get away from the fricken' heat.)

I'm focusing on the things that have the biggest impact on my health, and bang for the buck. Meaning first, dealing with creeping belly fat and diet. Meaning, no shit dropping the 30 pounds that's seemingly come out of nowhere (which, of course, it hasn't. You don't frequently have a medium rare rib eye with sauce bernaise and a bottle of Merlot without consequences.) And adding a regular routine of exercise, both cardo and weights. I'm about 8 days into that program. I feel like I can sustain this.

On the gear side, I'm in the middle of a transition from Glocks to Sigs. I have traded my 10 round G43X EDC for a 12 round P365XL. That gun is still being vetted. I still have my G19 for USPSA. I'm waiting for a range/competition holster for the P365XL, as well as two EDC (one from JM CK, one from RCS) holsters. Once I complete that transition (assuming I do) I will likely trade the G19 for another P365XL. And finally have the 'two guns, one for training, one for EDC, that I should have done in 2014 when I started shooting. Once thing I probably will do is get a couple 10 round mags for the P365XL, in the event of a mag ban above 10 rounds. This consideration drove me to a P30SK in 2016, ahead of the election. While that combo (VP9 for USPSA, P30SK LEM for EDC) didn't work, really, I think the P365XL might be that "do everything" gun, for me. I should add we also have a 10 round P365, which is shootin partner's gun.

On the ammo side, I'm going to look at my consumption last three years, average it out, then buy enough to be set for 4 years of my expected use (training class 2x a year, matches at once per month, square range occasionally).

Otherwise I don't see much in the way of new gear needing to be bought. I don't do long guns because: reasons so I have no need to get into a pump or AR. Investment wise, we're invested in the market, and have a modest retirement plan. Medical we are on a post retirement COBRA plan, but be looking at Medicare at some point, reducing our monthly outlay.

I’ve been (uncharacteristically) silent on this thread, because I just don’t know. Anything, really.

While we’ve lived well enough through the Clinton and Obama years, in some ways this is uncharted territory. From my viewpoint immersed in both big academia and big social media (for professional reasons) I’ve come to the conclusion that we have a major 1A problem in this country. A pervasive, 24/7 curated media is a new challenge, and probably the most insidious one we’ve seen in my lifetime. I’ve always taken heart that America as a people were plenty strong enough to weather almost any setback. Now it’s the same people that I worry more about moreso than the leadership, and that’s a new sensation in my adult-lifetime gut.

Beyond that, in the same way that the last election was about the supreme court, I suspect that this one is actually about the vice president. I’ve recently watched a colleague go from exactly where Joe seems to be now to wholesale not showing up to teach a single class or lesson, and getting lost on the way home within a calendar year. A year later, he was medically retired from tenure (yes, you read the timeline right), and the following year he was dead. July will be over in a flash; it will be interesting to see who gets packaged along with Joe.

As to prep? How do we prepare for uncharted waters? From the narrow perspective of gun ownership, I’m fortunate in that I am #1, a 1911, revolver, and lever action guy anyways, and #2, a life-long shooter descended from a line of life-long shooters. I’m not short on traditional means of self defense.

At this point, I’m of a mind to stay as debt free as possible, as mentally and physically healthy as possible, focus on optics (the glass is more important than the launcher, IMHO) and hope that I can get another one or two good record albums finished before the great experiment shits the bed. It’s clear that at least one party is angling for one-party rule, and that can do us no long-term good. JMO.

PS. .22 understudies; in all things, if one has the means.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-29-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Prior to my previous comment, I have done a bit of prep, mostly due to expected closures due to COVID-19 or social unrest. I pulled forward an elective surgery from this fall to last week which is why I am now sitting with my foot propped up on an ice bag. I also pulled my .40 S&W pistols and magazines from the safe as 9x19 is pretty much unobtanium. I still have quite a bit of 9x19 ammo, but I decided to clean and assess my .40 S&W bits and pieces. I have both P30 and Glock versions of my usual 9x19 pistols set up in .40 S&W. Now I just need to practice with them; that will quickly remind me why they usually stay in the safe.

Strange double tap post.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Strange double tap post.
    That’s what you get for switching back to a .40 G-lock.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Great responses so far. Lots to think about.

Two postscripts.

For one, see Avatar. I like the image of the Professional Cat, putting down the paper, and realizing, it's about personal performance. So, get to training, Rich, it's a better use of your time than posting random crap on the Internet.

Second, and I forgot to mention, but this has been on my mind. I am pondering getting back into Scouting, as an Adult Leader. I am trained through to Wood Badge, and have been on a National High Adventure trip (Philmont, 2010). Plus serving 8+ years at both the Cub Scout and Boy Scout committee roles. Plus teaching at my local University of Scouting. Bottom line is it is a program I know, and I feel brings benefit to our youth. Especially in these times, we need to focus on offering better ways for our children to make ethical decisions. I'm just worried that the horrible negative press regarding Scouting and child abuse is so pervasive in today's counter culture, I am hesitant to even get started becoming vetted / background checked by a local committee. Sad, that would be. I do plan to be on the lookout for other ways to give back, though, whether it be from Church or other youth groups. Or even teaching or volunteering as a Math or Physics tutor at the middle or high school level. I seriously doubt I would ever run for office, I'm much too much of an introvert to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That’s what you get for switching back to a .40 G-lock.
    Perhaps the double tap is the result of my elbows and wrists protesting .40 S&W felt recoil.

Financially, stay the course with a risk profile that fits our current circumstances. That means a relatively low exposure to equities and more fixed income (for stability and safety, not for income).

Security wise, the basics. A few Glocks, a walking around 642-1, and AR and shotgun for larger requirements.

Enough practice and defensive ammo to last a few years.

Staying in touch literally as well as mentally / emotionally with like thinking friends (like those here) to help maintain perspective.

Assess the situation...never panic. We will overcome.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    No such thing as 'too much' ammo - unless you're drowning or on fire.

Site Supporter
    I think it is never usually as bad as you think it is...but should my worst fears come true then I will live my life as I do now. I will...

-Keep building my retirement. I will never lack a job so long as I can work. I know this. I will always find a job and a way to sustain myself and my family.

-Lean into the support structure I have. My family specifically, but church, neighbors, colleagues, friends etc. are all good networks to build. My siblings and I contribute a group rainy day fund. If someone ends up in the hospital, loses a job, gets on the bad end of a divorce, we throw the money at them and help them start over. There are six of us. We all have problems taking money from each other so it serves as incentive to stay happy healthy and employed, and the relief that we know we will be alright.

-Stay healthy. Can't get screwed over by the insurance companies or the new government insurance provider if I don't have a heart attack. I'll die some day sure, but the healthier I stay til the reaper comes, the less money I pay to a hospital. That's more money for guns, ammo, food, and nice things for my girl.

-Know how to fight. I don't care what with. You could ban all guns tomorrow and I'd learn to be dangerous with a wrist rocket by the weekend. That's because being armed is a mentality, not a happenstance of available material. Having an addiction to BJJ and kickboxing means I can be buck naked and dangerous. I prefer a firearm because they're efficient.

-Have a bunch of magazines, a ready supply of ammunition, and the ability to either purchase or produce more.

-Be good at shooting. If I have to deal with reduced capacity, I had best make every shot count.

-Live without fear. These things are things that may happen. I'm not certain they will, and I'm not afraid if they do, because I will survive it. Not because of what I know or do, but because the people I know...or I won't, and at that point I'll be too dead to care.

Giving in to fear is why so much shit goes bad. That's why we get ammo shortages, toilet paper shortages, fear of death, fear of people who are different.

I say fuck that. Fuck fear. I don't know how I will prevail, I simply know I will not be defeated.

No, not as eloquent as "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself" but no less apropos.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List