Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ten Round 1911 .45ACP Mags That Are Reliable?

Thanks for the feedback. So far, feed lips seem fine but I'll keep an eye there especially.

I *think* Wilson's newer 10-rounders (not the ones I have) are CMC's design.

Quote Originally Posted by GLB View Post
    On a side note, what grips are those?
    VZ Recons, but heavily sandpapered in strategic spots to stop catching shirts. I like them but don't love them.

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane. My personally owned 1911 universe has never exceeded 3 guns at any one time. (2 Kimber Series 1s and a LEO turn in built on a Colt 1991).
    I have maybe 20K rounds of 1911 fired total, less than 1k thru 10 rd magazines. IIRC, I only used Wilsons.

Wilson, CMC and Tripp are the holy trinity of 8 rd mags. I believe the same to be true for 10 rounders as well. If a particular brand works in a particular gun with a particular load.

Having said that, my direct and indirect experience based primarily on a group of guys that started training in the late 70s with Cooper et al believed based on their collective experiences (during which the group owned 100+ 1911s from surplus to Chuck Rogers and everything in between)

1. That certain guns like certain mags better with certain loads.
    2. None of them believed that 10 rounders were as reliable as 8 rounders.
    3. Most carried 8 in the gun (7+1), ergo 1 down to maximize reliability with a fully loaded 8 rounder for a reload.
    4. Mags are consumables. Mark them. If it there is a problem 1x, repeat what you were doing to replicate it if possible. If the mag ever gives you a problem a 2x, mark it as a practice mag forever
    and move on.
    5. Particular attention needs to be paid to 10 rounders re spring tension and feed lip spread.

As such, I have chosen to forgo running 10 round mags. I carry Wilson ETMs. I train with Wilson ETMs, CMC Power mags and Tripps.

I do know that the FBI Regional SWAT guys here in KCMO ran 8 rounders from (edited to add- early 2000's) to 2017ish based on my personal observations/conversations with them until they all had to transition to Glock 9mm.

I fully acknowledge that incremental improvements are being often made by mag manufacturers and my "data" set is circa 1991-2007. I would defer to those who have more recent experience, particularly in high round count training/competitive environments.

Good on your for doing your research. I know I miss the 1911 trigger as I get older and am cautiously optimistic that the Dan Wesson DWX will be an answer to my prayers.

PS-Edited to add- The VZs are a very well textured grip and well made. A couple of guys I know who run them usually put a couple of squares of sandpaper and/or an emory board in their bag for "texture tuning."
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    The best ten round mags I’ve used have been CMC with the Tripp Super 9 kits installed.

YMMV

I've used these Checkmates for years with good results: https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-magazine.html

The 8-round Checkmate, with extended base pad, has been my standard go-to 1911 mag for years. I have over thirty of them.
    https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-m...-s-rb-ext.html

Checkmate gets a bad rap for their Beretta mags, which always seem to have one issue or the other going on. However, their 1911 mags are as good as any others and at a better price than many. I went to them after getting tired of constantly replacing springs in the vaunted Wilson 47D.

Regardless of the 10 rounder you choose, you have to keep up on the mag springs. Pushing ten rounds of .45acp up through a single column tube just seems to wear them out quicker than 7 or 8. This is the primary reason why I've never used 10 rounds mags for carry, only for competition and range work.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The only 10 rounders I have used at McCormick pre wilson mags and have not had a problem with them.
    Only negative is the follower design does drag sometimes when ejecting an empty mag same as on the 8 round ones.

I’ve used CMC Power 10+ with no issues in a couple USPSA Nationals and high round count classes...They seem as reliable as my Wilson ETM 8 round magazines.

Site Supporter
    I've had better luck with the Wilson mags than the CMCs. My CMC 10 rounders that don't work get a Tripp Super-9 kit.

The fact that Wilson's new model is basically a CMC is also good.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I only use 10 rounders for games and classes and I’ve only tried Chip powermags. I also only have a few of them. They work great in one Springfield and terrible in the other.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The best ten round mags I’ve used have been CMC with the Tripp Super 9 kits installed.

YMMV
    I’m curious what do the Tripp parts do in these mags? I’ve seen this recommended several times but never tried it. Several 10 rounders that work would make classes easier.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m curious what do the Tripp parts do in these mags? I’ve seen this recommended several times but never tried it. Several 10 rounders that work would make classes easier.
    Replacement spring and follower that reduce the capacity to 9 rounds in exchange for increased reliability. Has a stronger spring and 9 rounds gives more space for the spring to do its work. Given the springs on 10 round 45 mags wear faster than on 7&8 round mags

User Tag List