Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ten Round 1911 .45ACP Mags That Are Reliable?

Ten Round 1911 .45ACP Mags That Are Reliable?

So, recently I've been carrying a fully sized 1911.

When I'm carrying, the ten-round magazines are way too large to actually have in the gun. But they fit in a pocket or a mag carrier just fine, so I've been keeping one around for a reload. The problem is that I've not run 10 round mags nearly as much as I have 8-rounders.

Name:  IMG_6526.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  64.3 KB
    Tripp 8-rounders I've ran in a bunch of matches with FMJ and various JHPs, so that's what goes in the gun most of the time. I've never had a Tripp 8-round mag barf, which I can't say about anyone else, including the famous 47Ds. But Tripp's 10-round mags just look flimsy.

So, I have a couple of 10-round Wilson 47s that I've been using as spare magazines. They're illegal to use in most competition, where I usually wring out gear. So they've had maybe a hundred rounds through each and that's it. I'm hoping someone here has run 10-round mags more than I have to make recommendations. Do they keep working? Is Wilson the way to go here? Anything to look out for?

We ran 10-round Wilsons and Chip McCormicks at work with good results.

I have ran the Chip McCormick 10 rd mags with no problems. However I believe that the gun itself should be very well tuned and that any magazine outside of the original design (7) rounds could cause problems if the tuning is marginal.

I’ve had issue with the CMC mags in a few different guns. The new version of the Wilsons have been good to me so far, I actually started carrying one as a spare AIWB.

I've avoided them as the more rounds you stack in a single column magazine, the more the angle changes on the top round, and not for the better.

I've had 4 Check-Mate carbon steel 10 round blued ones, bull-nosed followers, hybrid feed lips that have run fine; I've had them for several years, but in all honesty have not run them particularly hard. For carry/duty use, I'm in the "trust but verify" mode.

Best, Jon

Chip McCormick (CMC) has a FAQ page with a point that is probably most significant for a 10 rounder as there is more weight/mass in a full tube and will put more stress on the feed lips.

https://www.cmproducts.com/FAQ_ep_42-1.html
    1. Practice Smart – Don’t Kill Your Mags – The key to reliable feeding of your 1911 pistol is your magazine feed lips. Slamming fully loaded magazines into a pistol at Slide Lock greatly increases the pressure on the feed lips. Repeated impacts are the most common cause of spreading open the feed lips. Do it enough times and you can fatigue the metal. Keep reloads at Slide Lock to a minimum to increase service life of your magazines. Reloads made with the slide forward (in battery) places little or no stress on the feed lips.
    If I had to have a 10 rounder, the Railed PowerMags (RPM) (I think Wilson - who now owns CMC - may also have a railed mag) make some sense

CMC RPM 10 rounder https://www.cmproducts.com/10-Round_c_81.html

Site Supporter
    My experience with .45acp 1911s is limited to a single 5" Govt Springfield Loaded in which I had good results using CMC 10rnd mags. I carried a Wilson 47D in the gun and reloaded with the 10rnd CMC Power Mags. I used it in a Pat Rogers/EAG class with out issue. That's been years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    So, recently I've been carrying a fully sized 1911.

When I'm carrying, the ten-round magazines are way too large to actually have in the gun. But they fit in a pocket or a mag carrier just fine, so I've been keeping one around for a reload. The problem is that I've not run 10 round mags nearly as much as I have 8-rounders.

Name:  IMG_6526.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  64.3 KB
    Tripp 8-rounders I've ran in a bunch of matches with FMJ and various JHPs, so that's what goes in the gun most of the time. I've never had a Tripp 8-round mag barf, which I can't say about anyone else, including the famous 47Ds. But Tripp's 10-round mags just look flimsy.

So, I have a couple of 10-round Wilson 47s that I've been using as spare magazines. They're illegal to use in most competition, where I usually wring out gear. So they've had maybe a hundred rounds through each and that's it. I'm hoping someone here has run 10-round mags more than I have to make recommendations. Do they keep working? Is Wilson the way to go here? Anything to look out for?
    On a side note, what grips are those?

I was at a class with some Denver gang guys and they were using CMC for primary and reloads.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List