Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Ford F150

2021 Ford F150

Did a quick search, but other than the discussion about the connectivity and related security concerns didn’t see anything. Apologies if I missed it. I know there are some car/truck guys here so I thought it would be fun to discuss.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2021/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34381/...f-150-revealed
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

A number of the features on the new truck look very attractive. I can’t wait until they incorporate them into a Raptor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I like the look. It's instantly recognizable as a Ford, has the little dips of the window line near the mirror like the original Super Duties, and the interior looks good. Drive train choices abound, including the 5.0 for those who don't want a turbo for whatever reason.

I don't think I want stop/start technology on a truck and don't think I want OTA updates.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I think I like almost every grille option! I went to look for a pic of the one I liked the most and couldn’t choose, and didn’t see one I didn’t like.

Agree on start/stop but (like OTA) I’m not sure we are going to be able to buy new vehicles without it, if we can at all now. Particularly when we want engines with gasoline-fed power beyond a golf cart as I think it’s a “hack” by the industry to get better MPG numbers to meet regulations.

I’m also interested to see what a Raptor will look like. Larp or not.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter

Start/Stop

A buddy of mine, who used to be an engineer with Ford until he moved down here to work for FedGov, HATES start/stop and disables it on his F150 every time he gets in the vehicle (it can be disabled via a button on the dash). His contention is that starts have a finite number of operations and start/stop burns through that artificially fast.

I suppose that's true, but considering how long starters last these days and how most owners don't keep their vehicles for much longer than it takes to pay them off (if that), it's probably not an issue for most.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    A buddy of mine, who used to be an engineer with Ford until he moved down here to work for FedGov, HATES start/stop and disables it on his F150 every time he gets in the vehicle (it can be disabled via a button on the dash). His contention is that starts have a finite number of operations and start/stop burns through that artificially fast.

I suppose that's true, but considering how long starters last these days and how most owners don't keep their vehicles for much longer than it takes to pay them off (if that), it's probably not an issue for most.

Chris
    There's a $50 aftermarket doo-dad that plugs in behind the button that can permanently disable it if you so choose. It's basically just a "memory" so that it remembers if you want it on or off, so you don't have to push the button to turn it off every time you start the truck.

I'm certainly not an engineer or the like, but my gut feeling is it doesn't save enough on gas for how I drive to overcome the faster battery replacement as far as dollars saved.

Chris
    I disable it every time I drive my wife’s Honda Pilot as well. We have had instances of the car not starting back up for one reason or another. Sucks to be sitting there at the light, everyone honking, and have to turn off the car and re-start manually. So far it’s never returned to running after manual re-start but I imagine that’s just luck. The dealer has told her that she’s not the only one that’s complained of this but that they can’t replicate it and Honda denies it’s an issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There's a $50 aftermarket doo-dad that plugs in behind the button that can permanently disable it if you so choose. It's basically just a "memory" so that it remembers if you want it on or off, so you don't have to push the button to turn it off every time you start the truck.

I'm certainly not an engineer or the like, but my gut feeling is it doesn't save enough on gas for how I drive to overcome the faster battery replacement as far as dollars saved.
    Got a link? I'll pass it along to him.

As for saving gas, it's more about reducing emissions of vehicles sitting still in traffic or at lights. Though I suppose the pollution caused by additional batteries or worn out starters doesn't matter...

Chris

Super cool tech.....super complex and super expensive. Early adapters beware (research all the problems with Sync.)

Extended warranty and a plan to not keep past that if you buy all the goodies.

Doge Ram hybrids are lots of trouble ...hopefully Fo does better.

Local PD's stopped buying Eco boost Explorers a while ago....too much downtime.

High end Ford interiors are awesome as is the power of the EB motors. For short term an EB is fine. Punt before 100k. Although high mile turbo motors are not great for resale (think lease).

If Ford is your Shiz then go ask some service advisors what they recommend for drivetrain/technology if you keep long term. (or technicians).

Side note: If you tow a lot 7-8k is all a half ton can tow well. Even that will push a plush riding half-er all over the road going down hill. All modern half tons can easily tow that amount power wise.

Start/stop sucks in the real world for driving.

I have owned several f150s

Got a link? I'll pass it along to him.

As for saving gas, it's more about reducing emissions of vehicles sitting still in traffic or at lights. Though I suppose the pollution caused by additional batteries or worn out starters doesn't matter...

Chris
    https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Start-De.../dp/B07MQWMNBW

Just Google "start/stop disabler" and you'll find a lot of similar options.

User Tag List