Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Call to Report Reckless Driving/Hit & Run

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    Thank you everyone for your input. I understand that with everything LE has to contend with, this is low yield fruit.

I think the other lesson is to encourage forum members to think about a dash cam. After this incident, I will be upgrading mine to a model with rear facing camera and better night time resolution.
    Perhaps members can give recommendations on dash cams that can be purchased through Amazon from this site. I for one am interested. It would be neat to have one that could be activated by a remote from inside your house if threat of theft or robbery was feared.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Perhaps members can give recommendations on dash cams that can be purchased through Amazon from this site. I for one am interested. It would be neat to have one that could be activated by a remote from inside your house if threat of theft or robbery was feared.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....corders/page17

Site Supporter
    Thank you. That's what I want. One more tool that may prove to have been a sensible purchase.

If it happened in Houston, and is reported to Houston PD, their Hit & Run investigators’ office phone is 713-247-4065. Give the crash report several working days, to be generated, reviewed by a supervisor, and forwarded to this office.

I reasonably think that location would be within the Houston city limits.

BUT, the Harris County Toll Road Authority contracts with one or more of the constable’s offices to patrol the HCTRA system, and, notably, a Constable would have responsibility for that stretch of toll road, even if the surrounding surface-level roadways lie in a different constable’s precinct. The main lanes of Beltway 8 are HCTRA toll roads.

ANY Texas Peace Officer, in that overlapping maze of jurisdictions, could be taking the report. State Trooper. Constable, for that Precinct. Constable, with the contract to patrol that particular stretch of toll road. Harris County Sheriff. Houston PD. Metropolitan Transit PD.

Good luck.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

ONE MORE THING, For Future Reference

Before this detours into the nearly-inevitable mention of following/detaining/holding hit-and-run suspects:

In Texas, the misdemeanor of Failure To Stop And Give Information frequently results in complainants and witnesses following the suspect’s vehicle. Sometimes, “following” escalates to pursuit, and attempts to detain/arrest/“hold for police.” Please, let’s keep in mind that private citizens have NO power to detain/arrest for most misdemeanors, and NO right to disregard traffic laws to maintain the following of a ANY suspect. This last part means serious civil liability for any damage or injury caused during such “following” and pursuits.

If “Serious Bodily Injury” has occurred, well, that does elevate “hit & run” to the felony of Failure To Stop And Render Aid. Unless one truly understands the legal parameters of Serious Bodily Injury, detaining/arresting the hit-and-run suspect is ill-advised.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

So a drunk sleeping in a car not moving is bad but a speeding drunk on the highway hitting other cars is low fruit and does not deserve a call.

Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    So a drunk sleeping in a car not moving is bad but a speeding drunk on the highway hitting other cars is low fruit and does not deserve a call.

Interesting....
    Where did any of us say that?

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    Thank you everyone for your input. I understand that with everything LE has to contend with, this is low yield fruit.

I think the other lesson is to encourage forum members to think about a dash cam. After this incident, I will be upgrading mine to a model with rear facing camera and better night time resolution.
    I would keep dash cam video on memory cards, NOT in my computers/tablets/phones. The rules-of-evidence for collecting evidence from electronic devices may well involve the collection of the entire device, if the memory is not physically removable.

I worked for Houston PD. I cannot discuss specifics of policy or procedures. I can say that when I want to record an incident, for possible evidence, I use a camera that records to an SD card; I do not use personal mobile devices, with non-removable memory.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Generally the agency I work for would not conduct a "Reckless Driving" Investigation based on a witness even though they had evidence in a circumstance like you described. We just don't have the resources. If you called to report it at the time a dispatcher would broadcast a reckless driver but nobody would be assigned to respond - unless perhaps there were multiple callers. If you called our agency with this after the fact; you would get a call back from a non sworn desk officer who would take a report and offer you to email the video or send in a copy to be attached to the report. A Sergeant would read the report and no further action would be taken. If there was a video file attached and the Sergeant viewed it and it was so egregious, lives were in danger etc. it's possible it would be assigned follow-up. But that would be contingent on the witness or evidence being able to identify the driver.
    A71593

What did you want them to tell you?

“Sir please go back to the scene of the accident and involve yourself in a volatile situation. We need as much unnecessary conflict and highways congestion as possible”

Serious if you’re that passionate about non injury accidents why not find a traffic office position somewhere ?

User Tag List