Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Call to Report Reckless Driving/Hit & Run

Frustrating Call to Report Reckless Driving/Hit & Run

If anyone knows a better way to report this event, then please let me know.

Approximately 30 minutes ago, I was driving on Beltway 8 just where it joined Hwy 59 Southwest Fwy.
    A white Lexus sped past me at great speed (I was going 70, Lexus must have been 100+) and tried to squeeze in between two cars in front of me. One car was in my lane and the other was in the adjacent right lane. The Lexus barely squeezed by the two cars in front and swiped the car on the right, detaching their driver side mirror. Fortunately, no car lost control and as I drove past the car that was swiped, I saw that no one was injured.

I have a dashcam and was able to review the incident from my memory card. I have a good image of the Lexus and the license plate. When I called HPD, the operator informed me that since I was not hurt and was not at the scene, and since the car that was hit has not yet reported the incident, then they cannot do anything. I asked whether they would like to have the video so that they can see the car, and perhaps track the driver down for the hit and run, or use it as supplement in case someone made a complaint. They were not interested in taking any information down and also had no way to receive my video dashcam footage.

It was disappointing to know that this is how the system works, and that the reckless Lexus will escape without consequences. I am saving the video just in case it becomes useful.

Site Supporter
    Maybe the car that got swiped had a trunk full of blow, dead hookers and outstanding warrants and didn’t want to contact the police?

I’m not a cop so can’t really answer your question, but it sounds like you did the right thing trying to report it.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    When you call 911, and most non-emergency dispatch numbers, you are calling a dispatch center. The dispatcher often doesn't even work for the police department that will respond and also dispatches fire, ems, other police departments, etc. There job is to gather some basic info, dispatch someone, and get to the next call.

If you want to get your video to someone who might care, call the police/sheriff/highway patrol department that has primary jurisdiction for where it happened. Depending on the size, they might have a hit/run detective's office. If not, that sort of thing probably gets assigned to a general detective. You'll want to talk to someone in investigations. They'll likely be more interested then a dispatcher as long as it was reported at some point.

Alternately, you can send the plate number to Crime Stoppers. They'll do the leg work and get it to the right detective. You might get a small cash reward.

Now, with all that said minor property damage only hit/run with no suspects are often NOAD cases (NO Assigned Detective) and never get worked.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Frustrating to try to report a crime and the call-taker can't help you. Thanks for trying.

While it will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, call-takers are usually reluctant to take evidence or information on events that haven't been reported. While I don't doubt your estimate of the vehicle's speed, I will remark that many citizen estimates of the speed of violators is frequently 100 miles per hour including on residential streets.

Absent a call from the victim, no reportable offense has occurred. In my AO, courts and prosecutors are reluctant to proceed with citizen speed estimates. While a hit and run occurred, the victim may not be interested in pursuing the matter. As suggested above, the driver might have had a dead hooker or a trunk full of cocaine. More likely, he or she was driving will intoxicated, suspended, or unregistered. He or she may just not care or hate the police.

The call-taker simply doesn't want to be responsible for taking information with no actual cop to forward it to.In my area, the best alternative would be to call the agency with primary jurisdiction at a station level. Someone there will hopefully collect the information and either locate an investigating officer or disseminate the information through whatever email, web board, or other system the department employs.

Thanks for your willingness to step up.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I will remark that many citizen estimates of the speed of violators is frequently 100 miles per hour including on residential streets.
    Agreed. Witness estimates of speed, time and distance are in many cases virtually useless.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post
    If anyone knows a better way to report this event, then please let me know.

Approximately 30 minutes ago, I was driving on Beltway 8 just where it joined Hwy 59 Southwest Fwy.
    A white Lexus sped past me at great speed (I was going 70, Lexus must have been 100+) and tried to squeeze in between two cars in front of me. One car was in my lane and the other was in the adjacent right lane. The Lexus barely squeezed by the two cars in front and swiped the car on the right, detaching their driver side mirror. Fortunately, no car lost control and as I drove past the car that was swiped, I saw that no one was injured.

I have a dashcam and was able to review the incident from my memory card. I have a good image of the Lexus and the license plate. When I called HPD, the operator informed me that since I was not hurt and was not at the scene, and since the car that was hit has not yet reported the incident, then they cannot do anything. I asked whether they would like to have the video so that they can see the car, and perhaps track the driver down for the hit and run, or use it as supplement in case someone made a complaint. They were not interested in taking any information down and also had no way to receive my video dashcam footage.

It was disappointing to know that this is how the system works, and that the reckless Lexus will escape without consequences. I am saving the video just in case it becomes useful.
    I'm not being sarcastic but what response did you expect for minor property damage?

I would contact the driver who was damaged and ask them if they want the video. Because if they're not willing to go forward with anything the popo are not going to get involved.

I can't help with any insight, thoughts because our dispatchers would have transferred you to the highway patrol's dispatch. Our involvement would have ended then.

Agree with trying to locate the owner of the victim vehicle and letting them know you have video.

I applaud you for trying. Around here, our dispatchers would have, at the very least put the info out as a BOLO for a drunk driver. They would have taken your name and number in case we were able to find the vehicle so that you could be contacted at a later date for a statement and to retrieve the video.

I’ve been around a long time and have never heard of a hit’n’run Detective. All of our hit skips are handle but patrol. Just goes to show how different LE “normalcy” can be from area to area. Our Patrol guys would love that.

Keep doing what your doing, you never know when that little thing that’s called in may be critical.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Let me add this - some jurisdictions are so busy that they don’t worry about little things like this. They can’t afford to. When an oncoming shift calls in service and there are hundreds of calls pending, they really don’t have the luxury of really giving 2 shits about a call like this. It sucks, but that’s the way it goes. Years ago when I was doing a ride along with an evidence technician from a big agency nearby as part of my ET course, we were processing crime scenes where the initial officer taking the report had done so 2-3 days ago.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Thank you everyone for your input. I understand that with everything LE has to contend with, this is low yield fruit.

I think the other lesson is to encourage forum members to think about a dash cam. After this incident, I will be upgrading mine to a model with rear facing camera and better night time resolution.

User Tag List