Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of Twitter? Try Parler

Tired of Twitter? Try Parler

I'm not really much of a social media guy, I get most of my social interaction from p-f online, and keeping up with my family in real life/meat space. I've not been active on Facebook for a couple years, just keep an account for those things that benefit me, such as trainers I follow and courses I'm signed up for. I don't do Twitter, but I do use it read-only without an account to keep up with what's going on for certain hashtags. I've been disappointed however with their stance on censoring public discourse, and either tagging or editing surrounding content of more conservative voices.

I saw online a post about a new social media site, called Parler. I was curious about it enough to sign up. They didn't need anything other than an email and phone number. The email made sense, and I was a little iffy about the phone number, but I was gratified that it was used for two-factor authentication. They didn't ask for any other demographic information, nor if I liked cat pictures, or where I went to High School, or what I had for Lunch yesterday.

https://parler.com/

So far, I've just signed up for a few folks I follow on the national media, but it looks interesting so far. What I like about it is that they promise free speech and don't appear to be inclined to steer conversations or content one way or the other.

I've eschewed twitter, facebook and instagram...can't really see why I'd sign up for a better form of something I don't use.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've eschewed twitter, facebook and instagram...can't really see why I'd sign up for a better form of something I don't use.
    My oldest friend invited me to join Twitter when it was first inaugurated back in 200-? I did, just because he asked.
    I've never yet "tweeted". Not once.

Twitter is useless to me as a mode of meaningful self expression, though I've sometimes read Tom Nichols' "tweets", having appreciated his book, The Death of Expertise.

I suspect it's mostly a generational thing.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, you know, probably for the same reason old men choose young wives.

Just trying to be helpful here.

Its good to have choices RJ, thanks.

This forum is as close to Social Media as I’m going to get.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Well, you know, probably for the same reason old men choose young wives.

Just trying to be helpful here.
    Well, mine is 3.5 years younger than me and I've been with her since 1986. Not sure what that says about me. (Other than I'm getting old.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    My oldest friend invited me to join Twitter when it was first inaugurated back in 200-? I did, just because he asked.
    I've never yet "tweeted". Not once.

Twitter is useless to me as a mode of meaningful self expression, though I've sometimes read Tom Nichols' "tweets", having appreciated his book, The Death of Expertise.

I suspect it's mostly a generational thing.
    I've had a twitter account for several years and never had a use for it (I don't even follow others, it was just dormant). However, I put it to good use recently when I could NOT get through to Dell support. Emails weren't answered, online chat was taken offline, and waiting on the phone for an hour and a half resulted in me getting hung up on after going through two "quality gates" that asked the same questions each time.

I remembered I had a twitter account, so I tweeted my ire and used the #dell_cares hashtag. I got a response within minutes and eventually found satisfaction, though it took a couple weeks going back and forth via email.

I never found a use for Instagram and my Facebook usage is severely constrained. My public facing settings are as locked down as they can get, I don't even have a picture of me or any other humans as my profile pic. You have to know me and know how to contact me directly to even find my profile. I am very picky about those I "friend" and don't tolerate "frenemies" or overly negative people. Friend-wise, I only friend people I know in real life, no "virtual" friends. The only discussion groups I belong to are non-political hobby-oriented groups for Amateur Radio SOTA and large format photography. I do follow a couple gun groups like VCDL, but those are more for keeping up on what's going on at the state politics level gun-wise. As a result, I have very little drama in my FB feed.

Chris

Trump should sign up and do all of his "tweeting" on it forcing the new to cover it.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Trump fans are flocking to the social media app Parler — its CEO is begging liberals to join them

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/27/parl...n-the-app.html

The catalyst for the latest growth surge was a story from The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, which said that the Trump administration was looking for alternatives to Facebook and Twitter over concern that more content is going to be blocked as the election campaign heats up. The Journal named Parler as a possible alternative.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List