Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Truck Sawzall?

I'm still shocked they demonstrated over concrete like that. You know it's permanently damaged now. I HATE doing hot work over concrete if I can't cover it with steel or catch the slag in a bucket. Burnt / spalled concrete in the wake of a job is the sign of an amateur.[/QUOTE]

Often, classes like that are held at locations which are about to be demolished. Not for sure, but it may explain why damaging the concrete wasn’t a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Ok, second question. @FES313

If the posts are designed to be breakaway, and assuming you had a truck with skid plates and weren't worried about an oil pan or the like being ruptured, could you ease up to one and just push it down with the bumper/skid plate and then drive over the downed cables? I hadn't even considered they might be the weak point until now.

The system I deal with is 10klbs and I have seen 150 feet of support posts taken out and the cables hang low but not to the ground. A lifted truck on 44"s probably could drive over. We don't have the break-a-way end post to relive the tension like the do in the 2016 video. This is the system we train on so I will say that is why there is discrepancy's in information.

Lots of good info in this thread. I've been fortunate to avoid civil unrest, but I've done field work in floods and landslides, and one of these days I'll eventually have to deal with an good sized earthquake. So maintaining mobility, or at least the ability to be mobile, is important in any number of challenging situations.

For me, the basic answer is a 4x4 vehicle with decent clearance, all terrain tires, tow strap and shovel. I can drive out of most situations by popping a curb, climbing the shoulder, driving counterflow, etc. If I needed to, I could pull down a gate with the strap. When I worked solo in remote locations, I also carried a good pair of bolt cutters, for those rare instances I'd get locked in somewhere.

If stuck in a protest, I plan to chill. Until somebody tries to drag me out of the truck or put bullets in me, I'm good. Maybe a little behind schedule, but otherwise fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Pretty neat and portable. And for the scenarios envisioned in this discussion the resulting grass fire would both provide concealment for your escape and disperse the “protesters.”

User Tag List