Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Sawzall?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Truck Sawzall?

While ya'll are putting ARs in your trucks, I'm seriously considering adding a battery powered Sawzall. My thought process is it can get through boundary fences very quickly, and probably those egg slicers they divide the interstates with these days, if you needed an emergency egress without disabling your vehicle. How long do the batteries stay charged in the hot interior of a vehicle, though. I've only used the corded versions.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I believe they come with a charger. Having that with an adapter might solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    While ya'll are putting ARs in your trucks, I'm seriously considering adding a battery powered Sawzall. My thought process is it can get through boundary fences very quickly, and probably those egg slicers they divide the interstates with these days, if you needed an emergency egress without disabling your vehicle. How long do the batteries stay charged in the hot interior of a vehicle, though. I've only used the corded versions.
    Interesting question about the heat.

Not sure the exact type of metal you are talking about. You can cut through flat or ribbed type sheet metal if you are careful not to bend the blade. Otherwise you will need a hole as a starting point.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Interesting question about the heat.

Not sure the exact type of metal you are talking about. You can cut through flat or ribbed type sheet metal if you are careful not to bend the blade. Otherwise you will need a hole as a starting point.
    Locally, boundary fences are just regular welded wire fencing. The egg slicers, which are probably not actually called that, are three strands of heavy cables, under tension, stretched between poles to catch you from crossing into oncoming traffic if you leave the roadway to the fence. Egg slicers is slang because of the expectation that if you lost control of your motorcycle and went into them at speed it'd look like the results of using a human sized egg slicer.

Locally, boundary fences are just regular welded wire fencing. The egg slicers, which are probably not actually called that, are three strands of heavy cables, under tension, stretched between poles to catch you from crossing into oncoming traffic if you leave the roadway to the fence. Egg slicers is slang because of the expectation that if you lost control of your motorcycle and went into them at speed it'd look like the results of using a human sized egg slicer.
    Ok got you. Well there are a slew of blades id get the type that will cut hardened metal. I wonder if bolt cutters wouldnt be faster for the cables. The woven wire can be cut with any set of cutters like diaganol cutter or linesman pliers but the sawzall would be easier.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ok got you. Well there are a slew of blades id get the type that will cut hardened metal. I wonder if bolt cutters wouldnt be faster for the cables. The woven wire can be cut with any set of cutters like diaganol cutter or linesman pliers but the sawzall would be easier.
    I honestly figured they'd be too big in diameter, but hadn't considered nipping individual strands. I know you could use hand tools on the fencing, but figured power tools would be faster.

I have had satisfactory results from the Ryobi One 18 volt sawzall and batteries.
    A high quality blade is important.
    I use Milwaukee blades.
    Cuts steel fence posts like butter.

Do not cut a cable divider on an interstate. Let me say that again DO NOT CUT A CABLE DIVIDER ever never ever ever. They are a tensioned system up to 10,000 pounds depending on what state you are travelling in. Bad things happen when they get cut. We have to send a crew to the anchor point to back off the tension if we need to do anything with them.

I will say that cutting metal with a sawsall you will need to keep the blade cool. You can cut a whole car up with one blade if you can.

I keep my Dewalt screw gun (drill) in my truck most of the time, the 18v batteries stay up for several weeks or more so far. I had 3 or 4 that were good, now down to 1 or 2 good ones, I need more, or newer tools. I have both 12v and 120v chargers. If charging on the vehicle, dont charge more than one at a time before running vehicle, otherwise it can lead to embarrassing moments when you wish to start the vehicle and leave.

The same batteries work in the sawzall. Theres a variety of blade types, always have spare blades handy. Cables can be tough to cut. Bolt cutters can cut some things quicker, and decent lineman or similar cutters can cut many fencing types easily. I havent used my lineman pliers on the heavier gauge chain link, but they cut the lighter gauge chain link like butter.

A good framing hammer can also be useful, as can flat bars (nail bars).

An angle head grinder with cutting wheels can cut through crazy stuff, like larger shackle hardened padlocks that laugh at bolt cutters. An inverter may be able to run one if heavy duty enough. I dont know if anyone is making a good heavy duty cordless angle head grinder. I also generally have a generator with me in the warm months anyway, so its less of a concern to me.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Do not cut a cable divider on an interstate. Let me say that again DO NOT CUT A CABLE DIVIDER ever never ever ever. They are a tensioned system up to 10,000 pounds depending on what state you are travelling in. Bad things happen when they get cut. We have to send a crew to the anchor point to back off the tension if we need to do anything with them.

I will say that cutting metal with a sawsall you will need to keep the blade cool. You can cut a whole car up with one blade if you can.
    Bad things like cable whip like a winch cable snapping? Would sand bags on the cable eliminate that concern?

I'm not figuring on cutting them for shits and giggles, more like a "to avoid deadly force" type scenario. At that point a crew having to fix it isn't in my decision making matrix.

User Tag List