Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Sawzall?

Site Supporter
    @MickAK @TBone550 I’d like to hear yall’s thoughts on this.

With the minor demo and metal cutting we have to do at work like sign posts and padlocks I prefer a cutoff wheel to a saws all. Seems faster and less finicky or likely to bend a blade. It’s definitely what I would choose for cutting braided cable where the reciprocating blade might catch on loose cables within the braid.

This isn’t a secret, but a good strong tow chain and decent traction can be a good demo tool in the right circumstances.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    While ya'll are putting ARs in your trucks, I'm seriously considering adding a battery powered Sawzall. My thought process is it can get through boundary fences very quickly, and probably those egg slicers they divide the interstates with these days, if you needed an emergency egress without disabling your vehicle. How long do the batteries stay charged in the hot interior of a vehicle, though. I've only used the corded versions.
    No need for batteries bro 😁

Name:  FD7DB012-1B3C-4D88-9A83-86FEC80C5DD2.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  17.7 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @MickAK @TBone550 I’d like to hear yall’s thoughts on this.

With the minor demo and metal cutting we have to do at work like sign posts and padlocks I prefer a cutoff wheel to a saws all. Seems faster and less finicky or likely to bend a blade. It’s definitely what I would choose for cutting braided cable where the reciprocating blade might catch on loose cables within the braid.

This isn’t a secret, but a good strong tow chain and decent traction can be a good demo tool in the right circumstances.
    In the article I posted it said to wrap the cable in duct tape and you wouldnt have the frayed ends going everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    So a roll of duct tape, a set of heavy gloves, and some sweet aviators in with the sawsall, and we'll probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive got to ask have you cut or seen cut a high tension cable. The article I linked to had three different ways of cutting and nothing in the article detailed the kind of threat you are detailing.

When these systems first came out some were and probably still are low tension systems 3000 pounds or less and are much safer to work around. I believe Florida was the first to go over 5000lbs and North Carolina has some that go to 10k. I cant speak of other states. I do know enough that I don't want to cut any unknown system and I sure the hell don't want anyone to think that they can because of a youtube video that is almost 10 years old..

Site Supporter
    I would say angle grinder, 20v with a good cut off wheel. We got car chargers for my crew that spends all day in the woods building post and rail fence and other improvements. Mainly they are using drills and impact drivers.

They pick up a good deal of trash in the woods and I got them recip saws and angle grinders after one crew cut up a truck bed liner with a chainsaw to fit it in their load of trash. No issues with batteries stored in truck boxes after 3 years but we are not Arizona hot.

Site Supporter
    I think Imma gonna listen to the firefighter who is trained in this shit vs the dude who found an internet article and watched a YouTube video and is now arguing with the firefighter.

ETA: plus cutting or removing a turnbuckle should incur a smaller bill if you get charged for destroying property.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I think Imma gonna listen to the firefighter who is trained in this shit vs the dude who found an internet article and watched a YouTube video and is now arguing with the firefighter.

ETA: plus cutting or removing a turnbuckle should incur a smaller bill if you get charged for destroying property.
    Good choice 👍

I’ve found that a battery powered angle grinder in the hands of a capable meth addict can get into coke machines, bicycle u locks, etc. Fits in a backpack, too!

User Tag List