Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m excited about the Dune remake

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Just finished reading it again for the first time in a very long time. I remember just adoring it, absorbing it, and read it at least twice before I could put it down. And then read many of the sequels.

Many of the cultural and historic references made more sense to me with the education and travel I’ve gone through since high school, since much of the cultural milieu Herbert drew from were deeply connected to my education and past profession. It was interesting to read again. But I also am a more experienced consumer of literature, and was surprised to be picking at some flaws in the material and weaknesses in the writing.

Ah, well, memory of a pre-teen’s fascination may have held more romance than what I got from it this time. But I’m still liking the trailer and looking forward to watching it.
    As big as a Dune fan boy as I am, I can admit Herbert has some weaknesses as a writer.

I actually like Dune Messiah better.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    POSTPONED!!!

Dune has been pushed to October 1, 2021.

Dune quote: “The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called "spannungsbogen" -- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    POSTPONED!!!

Dune quote: “The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called "spannungsbogen" -- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune
    Yeah, well, I’m not such a fan of delayed gratification. Or taking a whole paragraph to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    POSTPONED!!!

― Frank Herbert, Dune
    Name:  4hgc1k.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  48.6 KB

We braved the theater the other night to watch Tenant. The Dune preview was outstanding. Can’t wait to see it. We should have left after that preview. Tenant was terrible.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I didn't care for Dune. 'Dragon in the Sea' was great.

I haven't read any of Kevin's sequels yet.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    I didn't care for Dune. 'Dragon in the Sea' was great.

I haven't read any of Kevin's sequels yet.
    Dragon in the Sea is going way back in his career.

Don't bother with the sequels. Run hide from the prequels by Herbert Jr.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

"Dragon in the Sea is going way back in his career".

Yeah, if I remember correctly, it was his first novel. I read it in late 1955 as a serial in Astounding Science Fiction, with its original title "Under Pressure".

I've not been banned from PF yet, and it won't be today.

It looks like a powerhouse cast, and I am sure I will enjoy the remake. Too bad we have to wait a year. Special effects will be much better 36 years after the original.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List