Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m excited about the Dune remake

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    We braved the theater the other night to watch Tenant. The Dune preview was outstanding. Can’t wait to see it. We should have left after that preview. Tenant was terrible.
    Agree. Really bad script. Clever idea though to save money on special effects by reversing the action.

Wait. Tenet was in theaters?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]74807

When I saw this I couldn’t help adding it here
    I need this book. Someone needs to write this.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I need this book. Someone needs to write this.
    Oh sure...we got top men working on this...

This guy does great analysis of the Dune series, and generally does very sober videos.

After 20 minutes of footage from the new flick he's high as a kite. "I gotta calm down, I gotta calm down..."

Can't wait!!!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    How did I miss this thread? I've been a huge fan of the book and even bought a deluxe hardcover version recently. The movie was over my head as a kid, especially since I was all about Star Wars at the time, but I rediscovered it in college and loved it for the same reasons that I love other cheesy 80's and 90's films. Supposedly, Frank Herbert loved the Lynch movie, too. He acknowledged that adapting a book to film is rather problematic, and that he didn't expect it to be a slavish copy. I also loved Starship Troopers as a book, as well as Paul Verhoeven's take on it. Remember, he also directed the original Robocop and Total Recall.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, if anyone can pull off a good Dune film, it would be Denis Villeneuve. He's got that quiet, intense style (Sicario, Bladerunner 2049) that would lend itself well to the material. Ridley Scott could also pull it off, and I'd also be interested in what the Coen brothers could do (No Country for Old Men, True Grit).

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    How did I miss this thread? I've been a huge fan of the book and even bought a deluxe hardcover version recently. The movie was over my head as a kid, especially since I was all about Star Wars at the time, but I rediscovered it in college and loved it for the same reasons that I love other cheesy 80's and 90's films. Supposedly, Frank Herbert loved the Lynch movie, too. He acknowledged that adapting a book to film is rather problematic, and that he didn't expect it to be a slavish copy. I also loved Starship Troopers as a book, as well as Paul Verhoeven's take on it. Remember, he also directed the original Robocop and Total Recall.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, if anyone can pull off a good Dune film, it would be Denis Villeneuve. He's got that quiet, intense style (Sicario, Bladerunner 2049) that would lend itself well to the material. Ridley Scott could also pull it off, and I'd also be interested in what the Coen brothers could do (No Country for Old Men, True Grit).
    I really liked Blade Runner 2049, but Arrival was the film that sold me on him as the Dune director.

The new preview certainly "doesn't look like Star Wars" (to quote Quinn) or any other SF film I can think of.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I really liked Blade Runner 2049, but Arrival was the film that sold me on him as the Dune director.
    We couldn't make it through more than 30 minutes of Arrival. Blade Runner 2049 was surprisingly good, although I prefer the original.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Dune is evidently getting released not only in theaters, but also on HBO Max. @LittleLebowski, I take back my lockdown joke; I think we're going to make it!

https://www.hbomax.com/dune

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's like bands doing cover songs. It's often best to cover a more obscure song instead of a hit. And while exact copies are almost always disappointing, playing in one's own style can make it amazing- just ask Joe Cocker.
    Johnny Cash's Hurt is just flat out better than NIN's original. He owned the song and it isn't that far of the original, maybe the bitterness is genuine?

Oh, on Dune, I like Lynch's weird take, the structure of the film could be a lot better but that would make it longer than anyone would sit in a theatre for. The TV mini series wasn't up for much. The book is just awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Dune is evidently getting released not only in theaters, but also on HBO Max. @LittleLebowski, I take back my lockdown joke; I think we're going to make it!

https://www.hbomax.com/dune
    I guess the director isn’t happy about it either.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...lease-unhappy/

I’m really hoping to see it in a theater myself. There aren’t too many movies these days where I want to see it in theaters for the sake of the movie (we go all the time for the sake of doing something fun with the family).

Dune is one I want to see in the theater.

It may also be the first movie I’ve ever gone to see in a theater alone in nearly 47 years on the planet…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List