Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: I’m excited about the Dune remake

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Saw it today on the IMAX: excellent movie and well worth paying a premium to see on the really big screen. Some observations:

1. We saw five previews--only one appeared to be an original story, (The Fall Guy), the rest were derivative of decades-old intellectual properties (Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes; Twisters; Godzilla & Kong Something Something; Furiosa a Mad Max Story). None looked interesting.
    The Fall Guy is also decades-old intellectual property: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_Guy?wprov=sfla1

Site Supporter
    Wife bought tickets for Friday afternoon... Been a while since I looked forward to seeing a movie this much.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

ok i'll look forward to watching this when it comes out to download.

do people universally hate the SciFi 2000 era adaptation? I thought it was pretty good myself. You get to do a lot more world building over 4.5 hours total than just 2. Yea I know they were severely hamstrung with the budget for the second half, but still I enjoyed it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I thought all three versions were conscientious efforts to get as much of the story as possible on screen.
    'Lord of the Rings', too.
    'The Martian' was a wonder, an off planet adventure story with no shooting.

A rarity in the business, instead of dramatizing classic books and stories, we get woke Hollywood tripe. I thought the effects in 'Avatar' were gorgeous but the anti-industrial "Dances with Aliens" plot was a turnoff.

Ten years ago there was an attempt to multi-media Honor Harrington, all the way from movies to tv to games to comic books. Nothing ever came of it except a weird attempt to CGI Nimitz. But that would have shared a difficulty with Star Trek and Star Wars. You can't reasonably squish a space fleet down into one screen. Which would be an unfortunate hangup with 'Galactic Patrol' an otherwise great for film slam bang adventure. Not to mention the difficulty in casting, who are you going to get to convincingly play Kimball Kinnison, "The most competent entity in the galaxy?"
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    There was a hideous Lensmen anime. If you did a Galactic Patrol movie - you would have to modernize Smith's view of women. He was of the view - they cook and have kids. The only exception was Kimball's wife - the Red Lenswoman - and maybe their daughters (check into the weird, maybe incestuous breeding program in the never published sequel). The genetic program also would be not PC today. The Arisians controlling our destiny would not be PC either. It could be done with some updating, though. No reason to keep that stuff.

It's suggested that GP and Lensmen gave us the Green Lanterns - now that was horrible movie.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    'The Martian' was a wonder, an off planet adventure story with no shooting.
    I really liked The Martian for that reason. No hidden agendas, no secretly evil person exploiting the situation, just everyone doing the best they could with the information and tools they had at hand. It's just an overall positive movie.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I really liked The Martian for that reason. No hidden agendas, no secretly evil person exploiting the situation, just everyone doing the best they could with the information and tools they had at hand. It's just an overall positive movie.

Chris
    Agree.

Favorite character: Jake from State Farm.

Favorite line: If we're going to have a secret meeting, I want to be Glorfindel.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    What I’m about to type will at first glance appear as GenX nerd heresy, but hear me out. It is very possible that a Dune franchise could become THE SiFi trilogy standard against which all others are judged…
    It’s true that everything after “empire” (besides the bikini) was steaming tauntaun poop.

But: Matrix Trilogy. (Trilogy, mind…) Just saying.

Other than that, preach on, brother…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

If you did a Galactic Patrol movie - you would have to modernize Smith's view of women. He was of the view - they cook and have kids.
    As long as you don't modernize it to the present fad of wispy chicks punching out husky men.
    Like Adelle Mundy. She isn't going to punch you but she does not mind shooting you.

Is Andy Weir a one shot wonder? 'The Martian' is great, book and movie. 'Artemis' is ok. 'Hail Mary' is just plain weird, his fictional physics make it hard to suspend disbelief.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    As long as you don't modernize it to the present fad of wispy chicks punching out husky men.
    Like Adelle Mundy. She isn't going to punch you but she does not mind shooting you.

Is Andy Weir a one shot wonder? 'The Martian' is great, book and movie. 'Artemis' is ok. 'Hail Mary' is just plain weird, his fictional physics make it hard to suspend disbelief.
    I love Adele and her deadpan moral zombie assistant, Tovera..

User Tag List