Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m excited about the Dune remake

My wife and I saw it, we both got chills at one point, but we don’t remember when!

Dune nerd here. in my top three favorite books of all time.
    Some interesting choices by the Director. He chose to focus on the political/religious aspects of Paul Atraedes rise to power. He completely skipped the subplot involving the mentat human computers and the Butlerian jihad. And he downplayed the supernatural powers aspect. Paul and his mother were just portrayed as exceptionally skilled politicians, aided by some spice consumption along the way. Chani was given depth in the movie I never thought was in the first book. The actors all did a magnificent job.

Site Supporter
    Name:  F6462262-2382-49EC-B469-0B82DA044BF8.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  37.4 KB
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    My dad gave me the book when I was 11. My favorite book. I've been waiting My whole life for a faithful cinematic adaptation of the book. I'm still waiting.

I dont understand some of the directors choices at all. I understand leaving some material out for length....but changing fundamental character arks and relationships for God knows what weird ass reason? I just don't get it. Very disappointed. I had a bad feeling when in the first movie Villanueve said that he made Liet Kynes into a woman because of a lack of strong female characters in the source material. I mean.....did you even READ the freaking book???

My wife and I went Sunday, it was a sunny afternoon in the mid-60’s so why not go sit in a dark room with a buncha strangers?

I read the books loongg ago, she’s never read them. We both enjoyed Dune when we saw it at home and really enjoyed Dune 2 in the theater. The script and cast worked for us and the CGI wasn’t overly CGIish. We both are looking forward to whatever they name Part 3.

What I’m about to type will at first glance appear as GenX nerd heresy, but hear me out. It is very possible that a Dune franchise could become THE SiFi trilogy standard against which all others are judged. Now, before any of you Millennial nerds start whining, “But Star Wars…” and “But Raiders…” and trying to convince me that the new Wrath of Kahn is anything but a cheap forgery, think about what has happened to those franchises. Think about it.

First, Star Wars had only 2 outstanding productions - Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back. Rogue One showed promise but everything after Empire has been mediocre at best, but mostly a disaster. Sure you can pretend that everything after Return of the Jedi never happened; just like you pretend like your wife never banged that football player during your “brief hiatus” in college, but we all know that things never quite felt the same after it happened. When it comes to Indiana Jone - just look at what Disney did to him. Harrison Ford might as well be drinking blue milk from an alien’s tit next to Mark Hamill. While not at the hand of Disney, Linda Hamilton’s character and Kyle Rease both became quivering mounds of love pudding at the hands of the franchise terminators.

No matter where you look, the SiFi moves that we grew up with are being adulterated by Disney and other leftest outfits. This trilogy shows promise - good acting, fight scenes, and score coupled with absent leftist bullshit.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    @Sensei....I agree that the movies are superbly cast, and visually stunning. They got the look and aesthetic right this time. But to me they're just not Dune. They're 'Dune-ish'.

Saw Dune 2 tonight. I strongly recommend seeing it in an IMAX if available. It was the loudest movie I’ve ever seen. The Dolby Atmos capability of an IMAX theater makes the movie much more immersive, and IMAX visuals are stunning. Some of the sand worm sound effects shook the theater as if the sand worm was under the floor.

Yes, they changed some stuff, and left the door open for part 3. But it was a thoroughly enjoyable movie. Recommended!
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    My dad gave me the book when I was 11. My favorite book. I've been waiting My whole life for a faithful cinematic adaptation of the book. I'm still waiting.

I dont understand some of the directors choices at all. I understand leaving some material out for length....but changing fundamental character arks and relationships for God knows what weird ass reason? I just don't get it. Very disappointed. I had a bad feeling when in the first movie Villanueve said that he made Liet Kynes into a woman because of a lack of strong female characters in the source material. I mean.....did you even READ the freaking book???
    Just be thankful it wasn't a Disney production. If it had been, Leto would have been molesting Paul during his childhood, Jessica would be played by an Asian drag queen, Paul would drink the water of life and wake up as trans-Pauline. Chani wouldn't be too broken up over Paul, because she's bisexual anyway. Oh, and the Harkonnens would all look like Donald Trump.

The director's produced a lot of noise about fixing Herbert's "mistakes". This is the way.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    What I’m about to type will at first glance appear as GenX nerd heresy, but hear me out. It is very possible that a Dune franchise could become THE SiFi trilogy standard against which all others are judged. Now, before any of you Millennial nerds start whining, “But Star Wars…” and “But Raiders…” and trying to convince me that the new Wrath of Kahn is anything but a cheap forgery, think about what has happened to those franchises. Think about it.

First, Star Wars had only 2 outstanding productions - Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back. Rogue One showed promise but everything after Empire has been mediocre at best, but mostly a disaster. Sure you can pretend that everything after Return of the Jedi never happened; just like you pretend like your wife never banged that football player during your “brief hiatus” in college, but we all know that things never quite felt the same after it happened. When it comes to Indiana Jone - just look at what Disney did to him. Harrison Ford might as well be drinking blue milk from an alien’s tit next to Mark Hamill. While not at the hand of Disney, Linda Hamilton’s character and Kyle Rease both became quivering mounds of love pudding at the hands of the franchise terminators.

No matter where you look, the SiFi moves that we grew up with are being adulterated by Disney and other leftest outfits. This trilogy shows promise - good acting, fight scenes, and score coupled with absent leftist bullshit.

I enjoyed Star Wars when I was 12, but have largely considered it vapid trash. I was always more of a Star Trek type, but they've done a good job of shitting all over that as well. The last two Raiders movies have been terrible to outright offensive.

Dune looks like a breath of fresh air by comparison. But, most are acting like it's the second coming of the messiah (see what I did there) when in fact, it's just okay. As for the literary source: the first two books were pretty good, but the the whole thing gradually started circling the hot mess drain. Like so many authors before and since, Herbert lost control of his creation.

Dune the movie seems seminal because everything else surrounding it is shit.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List