Thread: Lube for Titanium

Lube for Titanium

I just got a titanium cylinder for my S&W 642. When adding the cylinder to by revolver, I lubed the extractor rod with Sentry Solutions Tuf Glide lube. I then notice that the Tuf Glide has mineral spirits in it and that may not be good for titanium. Did I just hurt my new titanium cylinder or am I ok?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Paging @Aray

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The big concern on S&W cylinders is the surface coating, as the Ti erodes quickly once the coating is gone. I wouldn't expect mineral spirits to hurt it, as it's just a hydrocarbon solvent. I'd avoid anything with a non-neutral pH.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Owners manual link

S&W revolver Safety & Instruction manual. Pages 26, 28-29 addresses your concerns. Click on revolvers with the J, K, L, N frames listed, found on page 2.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/custome...owners-manuals

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    S&W revolver Safety & Instruction manual. Pages 26, 28-29 addresses your concerns. Click on revolvers with the J, K, L, N frames listed, found on page 2.
    I hate to say it, but its just not there.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sit..._416560000.pdf

Page 30 says: Refer to the “Lubrication” section in this manual for instructions on lubricating the firearm.

While a search for the string "lubrica" turns up six matches, none of which is the section mentioned.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

@noob

I looked at the link you provided. On page 26 of the pdf manual download, is where the info is about the titanium cylinder care. It is at the bottom half of page 26. It gives the do's and don'ts of how to clean the titanium cylinder. Cleaning and maintenance does start on page 30-32. Hope this helps. Firearm manuals today tend to be wordy which makes finding specific info (for me) challenging.

User Tag List