Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: History of pistol shooting techniques

Site Supporter
    You would be surprised how tough an all a's sub 10 run can be in front of 19 of your closest friends, your rangemaster, three range officers, the guy from the gunsmity and a couple of ground guys who decide to take their break and watch. All the while, the spirit of Col Cooper is nearly tangible in the air. Targets set old school style, 10 yrds out , 3 yrds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Wow. You GOTTA be old to have played with AERIAL targets. Great catch. The man (McGivern) too fast for a semiauto!
    I just turned 50. My eyes were really good when I was a kid. I also shot almost nothing but Smith & Wesson revolvers, and I had access to places where the range fan was nearly infinite. I did all of my work in those days with a K-22. After reading too much Elmer Keith, I switched to a 4" Model 29 loaded down to 44 Special/45 ACP ballistics.

Aerial targets aren't that hard once you get over the idea that they're in the air. I started with 5-gallon cans, then moved pretty quickly to 1-gallon cans (paint thinner and such), then graduated to the old paper 1-qt oil cans that had steel ends. I tried beer cans but they were too small to hit reliably.

One BIG part of it was learning how to toss the can consistently--the job is far harder you don't have consistent tosses. (McGivern spends several pages in the book talking about the machine he invented for this. He also gives credit to the thrower in most of the photos of him with multiple broken targets in the air above his head.) I learned that if you put a little bit of gravel in the can, then the added weight carries it up a little higher and keeps the bullets from knocking it around while it's in the air. It also helps if you throw the can straight up and stand almost exactly underneath it when you shoot. I'd start with the revolver in my right hand, toss the can underhanded with my left, assume something kinda like the Weaver stance and get after it double-action using the sights. I didn't get as good as Ed McGivern, but I didn't have Remington giving me boatloads of free ammo, either. At my best, I could hit a 1-qt oil can 3-4 times out of a cylinder on one toss with the K-22. One hit per toss was more like it with the Model 29.

I also learned some of the other tricks that McGivern talked about, like splitting a playing card with one shot. Most of them are actually pretty easy if you follow the instructions in the book.

Okie John

50???? I have you beat by 4 sonny! LOL man, no more slack.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Another FBI video...even older this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj0fhyWHZvs

For someone interested in the history of firearms training, what would you guys consider the must-have books about shooting that were written before 1980 or so?

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Jeff Cooper and Bill Jordan for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    For someone interested in the history of firearms training, what would you guys consider the must-have books about shooting that were written before 1980 or so?

pax
    Fairbairn's "Shoot to Live", Applegate's "Kill or Get Killed", and McGivern's "Fast and Facy Revolver Shooting" sort of laid the groundwork for others to follow, IMO.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Cooper on Handguns, 1974, Petersen Publishing. Most of Cooper was post-1980.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Charles Askins, Jr. "The art of handgun shooting" (1941) is an old favorite. Mostly bullseye, but I like the language and the photos of the guys in fedoras and neckties on the firing line in competition.

Bill Jordan's "No second place winner".

User Tag List