Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: History of pistol shooting techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Speaking of sights, when did the modern standard of the 3-dot (or similar white dot enhanced) sight start becoming standard?
    Good question...I'd speculate that as the various manufacturers submitted their pistols for the JSSAP/XM9 trials in the late 1970s/early 1980s, the white dot sight became more common among service pistols. Trijicon's website states they introduced "the first tritium-illuminated iron sights for handguns" in 1985, and they were adopted by the FBI for issue on the SIG in 1988. I imagine the FBI adoption further opened the door for widespread issue by US law enforcement.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd like to see a discussion of who was most influential and how we went from this

to this
    No one has mentioned Ed McGivern. Like almost everyone else in the 1930's, he was a revolver guy, but he was a pioneer of speed shooting with sights (especially on aerial targets), combining speed and accuracy, and on courses of fire that tried to reflect actual gunfight conditions. On the other hand, I may be the only guy here old enough to have tried to use some of the stuff in "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" to improve my skills.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    No one has mentioned Ed McGivern. Like almost everyone else in the 1930's, he was a revolver guy, but he was a pioneer of speed shooting with sights (especially on aerial targets), combining speed and accuracy, and on courses of fire that tried to reflect actual gunfight conditions. On the other hand, I may be the only guy here old enough to have tried to use some of the stuff in "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" to improve my skills.

Okie John
    Wow. You GOTTA be old to have played with AERIAL targets. Great catch. The man (McGivern) too fast for a semiauto!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Okie John
    LOL!

My dad just got me that book last year and I was impressed and disappointed, knowing that my range would shoot me if I started shooting stuff in the air
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I'd be curious to know if there's a big difference between what was considered a fast time on, say, the El Presidente, in the 1970's and 1980's, compared to now.
    If times are faster now, is it due to evolution of technique, evolution of equipment, or just more people having more time to practice and more opportunities to compete?
    <edited for clarity >
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by NickA; 06-08-2012 at 08:27 AM.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Cooper said a good El Pres would be in the 10 second range with all your hits. Nowadays a good time in Production would be around 6 seconds with all your hits.

A 6-sec El Prez with no points down is a solid Production GM run. I'd say that anything under 8 seconds is pretty sporty (if you're hitting all A's, that is.)

-C
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    A 6-sec El Prez with no points down is a solid Production GM run. I'd say that anything under 8 seconds is pretty sporty (if you're hitting all A's, that is.)

-C
    I have always assumed the standard was all A's. On a youtube vid from the AMU one of their burners demo's it on GIANT steel targets, doesn't go to slide lock for the reload and shoots it in under 4.0. It was fast and impressive but IMO, not an El Presidente.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I see very few folks shoot a proper El Prez. 10 yards, A zone hits, Emergency Reload, targets 3 ft or 3 yds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I see very few folks shoot a proper El Prez. 10 yards, A zone hits, Emergency Reload, targets 3 ft or 3 yds apart.
    Even with the above restrictions... I'd say that 10 seconds is a quite a bit of time.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

User Tag List